Pittsburgh Marathon cancelled

Sounds like the city is having a lot of financial problems. What with the war in Iraq draining the
country I think we're in for hard times for awhile. Time for new leadership perhaps.

Dump Mayor Murphy? Sounds good to me. Basically, misplaced priorities in building two stadiums for
two lousy teams while not having finished paying for Three Rivers stadium rather than improving the
downtown area. And they wonder why all the young people are fleeing the area. Pittsburgh is dead.

On 02 Oct 2003 01:13:54 GMT, [email protected] (Jtiche) wrote:

>Sounds like the city is having a lot of financial problems. What with the war in Iraq draining the
>country I think we're in for hard times for awhile. Time for new leadership perhaps.

Understatement of the new millenium!!!!!!!!

Pittsburgh is dead???? Hell...be lucky you don't live in Cincinnati. I go to Pittsburgh
for vacation!

"KingMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dump Mayor Murphy? Sounds good to me. Basically, misplaced priorities in building two stadiums for
> two lousy teams while not having finished paying for Three Rivers stadium rather than improving
> the downtown area. And
they
> wonder why all the young people are fleeing the area. Pittsburgh is dead.
>

> "Jtiche" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Sounds like the city is having a lot of financial problems. What with
the
> war
> > in Iraq draining the country I think we're in for hard times for awhile.
> Time
> > for new leadership perhaps.

"KingMan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's interesting that the Cleveland Marathon is providing a generous offer for (ex-?) Pittsburgh
>marathon runners. Details at http://www.clevelandmarathon.com/ .

BTW: It looks as if there will be an spring marathon in Pittsburgh. Organizers are working on it
now. It won't be called the "Pittsburgh Marathon" as the original organizers own copyright on that
name but it looks is if it will be on the same date.

--
Mark Roberts Photography and writing www.robertstech.com

In <[email protected]>, on 10/01/03
at 10:15 PM, "KingMan" <[email protected]> said:

Murphy is a Marathon fan. I remember him running the Marathon several times himself, as well as
standing on the steps of the City/County building as the Marathon started each year. He's a fan and
a runner. This must have been a very difficult decision for him.

I don't think the original poster was referring to Murphy when making reference to Iraq and
financial problems. Probably referring to someone closer to the D.C. area part-time, and Crawford,
Texas most of the year.

>Dump Mayor Murphy? Sounds good to me. Basically, misplaced priorities in building two stadiums for
>two lousy teams while not having finished paying for Three Rivers stadium rather than improving the
>downtown area. And they wonder why all the young people are fleeing the area. Pittsburgh is dead.

>"Jtiche" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Sounds like the city is having a lot of financial problems. What with the
>war
>> in Iraq draining the country I think we're in for hard times for awhile.
>Time
>> for new leadership perhaps.

[email protected]

>I don't think the original poster was referring to Murphy when making reference to Iraq and
>financial problems.

You're correct in that assumption, I was referring to president Bush. At the rate he's going the
country will be bankrupt. I'm not sure what this war is costing but I've seen the figure of a
billion a week thrown out someplace. I think we need to take care of our own first before worrying
about every other country that gets in a jam.

On 06 Oct 2003 00:44:57 GMT, [email protected] (Jtiche) wrote:

>>I don't think the original poster was referring to Murphy when making reference to Iraq and
>>financial problems.
>
>You're correct in that assumption, I was referring to president Bush. At the rate he's going the
>country will be bankrupt. I'm not sure what this war is costing but I've seen the figure of a
>billion a week thrown out someplace. I think we need to take care of our own first before worrying
>about every other country that gets in a jam.

And just what country was "in a jam" that the gulf war 2 helped out? Noboby, nada, not a single
country or person was being threatened.

I got news for ya. There was never a reason for the People unlucky enough to be stuck in Pittsburgh,
to get off the couch.............unless it's to pack a bag and get the hell outta there.

A marathon can easily have a cash flow over a mega-buck. You got to advertise, hire security, buy
refreshments, rent a paramedic, buy shirts, pay a race manager. etc. Several hundred thousand of
that comes from race fees and several hundred thousand from sponsors.