Pittsburgh Marathon cancelled

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Kingman, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Kingman

    Kingman Guest

    Tags:

  2. Jtiche

    Jtiche Guest

    Sounds like the city is having a lot of financial problems. What with the war in Iraq draining the
    country I think we're in for hard times for awhile. Time for new leadership perhaps.

  3. Kingman

    Kingman Guest

    Dump Mayor Murphy? Sounds good to me. Basically, misplaced priorities in building two stadiums for
    two lousy teams while not having finished paying for Three Rivers stadium rather than improving the
    downtown area. And they wonder why all the young people are fleeing the area. Pittsburgh is dead.

    "Jtiche" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sounds like the city is having a lot of financial problems. What with the
    war
    > in Iraq draining the country I think we're in for hard times for awhile.
    Time
    > for new leadership perhaps.

  4. Stats

    Stats Guest

    On 02 Oct 2003 01:13:54 GMT, [email protected] (Jtiche) wrote:

    >Sounds like the city is having a lot of financial problems. What with the war in Iraq draining the
    >country I think we're in for hard times for awhile. Time for new leadership perhaps.

    Understatement of the new millenium!!!!!!!!

  5. David Drake

    David Drake Guest

    Pittsburgh is dead???? Hell...be lucky you don't live in Cincinnati. I go to Pittsburgh
    for vacation!

    "KingMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dump Mayor Murphy? Sounds good to me. Basically, misplaced priorities in building two stadiums for
    > two lousy teams while not having finished paying for Three Rivers stadium rather than improving
    > the downtown area. And
    they
    > wonder why all the young people are fleeing the area. Pittsburgh is dead.
    >

    > "Jtiche" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Sounds like the city is having a lot of financial problems. What with
    the
    > war
    > > in Iraq draining the country I think we're in for hard times for awhile.
    > Time
    > > for new leadership perhaps.

  6. Kingman

    Kingman Guest

    It's interesting that the Cleveland Marathon is providing a generous offer for (ex-?) Pittsburgh
    marathon runners. Details at http://www.clevelandmarathon.com/ .

  7. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "KingMan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's interesting that the Cleveland Marathon is providing a generous offer for (ex-?) Pittsburgh
    >marathon runners. Details at http://www.clevelandmarathon.com/ .

    BTW: It looks as if there will be an spring marathon in Pittsburgh. Organizers are working on it
    now. It won't be called the "Pittsburgh Marathon" as the original organizers own copyright on that
    name but it looks is if it will be on the same date.

    --
    Mark Roberts Photography and writing www.robertstech.com

  8. frodo

    frodo Guest

    In <[email protected]>, on 10/01/03
    at 10:15 PM, "KingMan" <[email protected]> said:

    Murphy is a Marathon fan. I remember him running the Marathon several times himself, as well as
    standing on the steps of the City/County building as the Marathon started each year. He's a fan and
    a runner. This must have been a very difficult decision for him.

    I don't think the original poster was referring to Murphy when making reference to Iraq and
    financial problems. Probably referring to someone closer to the D.C. area part-time, and Crawford,
    Texas most of the year.

    >Dump Mayor Murphy? Sounds good to me. Basically, misplaced priorities in building two stadiums for
    >two lousy teams while not having finished paying for Three Rivers stadium rather than improving the
    >downtown area. And they wonder why all the young people are fleeing the area. Pittsburgh is dead.

    >"Jtiche" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Sounds like the city is having a lot of financial problems. What with the
    >war
    >> in Iraq draining the country I think we're in for hard times for awhile.
    >Time
    >> for new leadership perhaps.

    [email protected]

  9. Jtiche

    Jtiche Guest

    >I don't think the original poster was referring to Murphy when making reference to Iraq and
    >financial problems.

    You're correct in that assumption, I was referring to president Bush. At the rate he's going the
    country will be bankrupt. I'm not sure what this war is costing but I've seen the figure of a
    billion a week thrown out someplace. I think we need to take care of our own first before worrying
    about every other country that gets in a jam.

  10. Jerry F

    Jerry F Guest

    On 06 Oct 2003 00:44:57 GMT, [email protected] (Jtiche) wrote:

    >>I don't think the original poster was referring to Murphy when making reference to Iraq and
    >>financial problems.
    >
    >You're correct in that assumption, I was referring to president Bush. At the rate he's going the
    >country will be bankrupt. I'm not sure what this war is costing but I've seen the figure of a
    >billion a week thrown out someplace. I think we need to take care of our own first before worrying
    >about every other country that gets in a jam.

    And just what country was "in a jam" that the gulf war 2 helped out? Noboby, nada, not a single
    country or person was being threatened.

  11. I got news for ya. There was never a reason for the People unlucky enough to be stuck in Pittsburgh,
    to get off the couch.............unless it's to pack a bag and get the hell outta there.

  12. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    A marathon can easily have a cash flow over a mega-buck. You got to advertise, hire security, buy
    refreshments, rent a paramedic, buy shirts, pay a race manager. etc. Several hundred thousand of
    that comes from race fees and several hundred thousand from sponsors.