Pittsburgh Pa to DC?

info

Guest
We have done the C&O for Cumberland MD toDC and hear that the Pittsburgh Pa to Cumberland MD rail
trail will be finished sometime next year perhaps. We really want to do the entire Pittsburgh to DC
ride but are not sure about the route.

Can it be done now by detouring around the parts of the trail that aren't done?

How long are the detours? Are they safe to ride with kids? We don't want to have to ride on any busy
roads for any long periods.

Does anyone have any feedback on doing it with a Bob Yak trailer and camping or is it better to just
to stay at Motels/B&Bs?

Any info is most welcome.

--
Michael McGuire 614-477-8801 [email protected]

Look at the website for the Allegheny Trail Alliance at http://www.atatrail.org/ata-home.htm One of
the pages describes road detours and recommends driving them, not cycling, because of traffic.

The sections in PA that I have cycled have a much better surface than the C&O canal. I might be
concerned about pulling a trailer along the C&O with all the rain this spring, but I have no
first-hand experience.

Ken

<[email protected]> wrote:

>We have done the C&O for Cumberland MD toDC and hear that the Pittsburgh Pa to Cumberland MD rail
>trail will be finished sometime next year perhaps. We really want to do the entire Pittsburgh to DC
>ride but are not sure about the route.
>
>Can it be done now by detouring around the parts of the trail that aren't done?
>
>How long are the detours? Are they safe to ride with kids? We don't want to have to ride on any
>busy roads for any long periods.
>
>Does anyone have any feedback on doing it with a Bob Yak trailer and camping or is it better to
>just to stay at Motels/B&Bs?
>
>Any info is most welcome.

Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam" if
replying via e-mail

As of Tuesday, the C&O has dried up quite a bit (info from Harpers Ferry to Shepardstown).

I did the C&O last year (uphill) with a Bob trailer with no problems. I did divert to the Western MD
Rail Trail between Hancock and Ft Frederick as it has a better surface.

Be aware there are a couple of detours due to washouts.