Pittsburgh Pa to DC?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by info, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. info

    info Guest

    We have done the C&O for Cumberland MD toDC and hear that the Pittsburgh Pa to Cumberland MD rail
    trail will be finished sometime next year perhaps. We really want to do the entire Pittsburgh to DC
    ride but are not sure about the route.

    Can it be done now by detouring around the parts of the trail that aren't done?

    How long are the detours? Are they safe to ride with kids? We don't want to have to ride on any busy
    roads for any long periods.

    Does anyone have any feedback on doing it with a Bob Yak trailer and camping or is it better to just
    to stay at Motels/B&Bs?

    Any info is most welcome.

    --
    Michael McGuire 614-477-8801 [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Ken Brown

    Ken Brown Guest

    Look at the website for the Allegheny Trail Alliance at http://www.atatrail.org/ata-home.htm One of
    the pages describes road detours and recommends driving them, not cycling, because of traffic.

    The sections in PA that I have cycled have a much better surface than the C&O canal. I might be
    concerned about pulling a trailer along the C&O with all the rain this spring, but I have no
    first-hand experience.

    Ken

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We have done the C&O for Cumberland MD toDC and hear that the Pittsburgh Pa to Cumberland MD rail
    >trail will be finished sometime next year perhaps. We really want to do the entire Pittsburgh to DC
    >ride but are not sure about the route.
    >
    >Can it be done now by detouring around the parts of the trail that aren't done?
    >
    >How long are the detours? Are they safe to ride with kids? We don't want to have to ride on any
    >busy roads for any long periods.
    >
    >Does anyone have any feedback on doing it with a Bob Yak trailer and camping or is it better to
    >just to stay at Motels/B&Bs?
    >
    >Any info is most welcome.

    Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam" if
    replying via e-mail

  3. As of Tuesday, the C&O has dried up quite a bit (info from Harpers Ferry to Shepardstown).

    I did the C&O last year (uphill) with a Bob trailer with no problems. I did divert to the Western MD
    Rail Trail between Hancock and Ft Frederick as it has a better surface.

    Be aware there are a couple of detours due to washouts.