General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

pizza gaina? pizza rustica?

Started by Teri · · Last activity · 4 posts · 149 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 April 2007
Last activity
6 April 2007
Original author
Teri
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
149
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Growing up I remember my aunt making something on Easter we called
    pizzagaina. Now - I found a recipe w/her handwriting that calls it pizza
    rustica. Are these the same things? I tried searching online and the recipes
    I can find are similar ... but my recipe also has some penne in it - whereas
    the others online are more quiche-like. The recipe I have calls for
    scamorse. Is this basket cheese? Is basket cheese the same thing as
    ricotta? or mozzerella? TIA!
    Teri

  2. Teri said:

    Growing up I remember my aunt making something on Easter we called
    pizzagaina.  Now - I found a recipe w/her handwriting that calls it pizza
    rustica. Are these the same things? I tried searching online and the recipes
    I can find are similar ... but my recipe also has some penne in it - whereas
    the others online are more quiche-like. The recipe I have calls for
    scamorse.  Is this basket cheese?  Is basket cheese the same thing as
    ricotta?  or mozzerella?  TIA!
    Teri

    Pizzagaina is essentially a very fancy schmancy calzone (or garbage
    calzone depending on perspective), but typically eaten cold:

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1658,141186-241198,00.html

    Growing up in Broklyn I remember pizzagaina being a very common way to
    use all the weekend's leftovers to make lunches for bringing to work/
    school during the week. There is no exact recipe, it's to clean the
    fridge of whatever is left over. Each morning walking to school I
    used to get offered more than I could possibly eat from the kids who
    had pizzagaina for lunch, they were embarrassed to eat it in public
    because of how it stigmatized one as a dirt poor WOP... hey, never
    bothered me, they were so good, better than my mom's bologna
    sammiches, so of course I'd trade. The last 'a' is silent, so it took
    me a long time before realizing it wasn't "pizza again". Hey, I was
    only seven years old, I wasn't such a wisaguy then... but still, if
    you were a teacher you didn't want me in your class.

    Sheldon

  3. Sheldon said:

    Growing up in Broklyn I remember pizzagaina being a very common way to
    use all the weekend's leftovers to make lunches for bringing to work/
    school during the week. There is no exact recipe, it's to clean the
    fridge of whatever is left over. Each morning walking to school I
    used to get offered more than I could possibly eat from the kids who
    had pizzagaina for lunch, they were embarrassed to eat it in public
    because of how it stigmatized one as a dirt poor WOP... hey, never
    bothered me, they were so good, better than my mom's bologna
    sammiches, so of course I'd trade. The last 'a' is silent, so it took
    me a long time before realizing it wasn't "pizza again". Hey, I was
    only seven years old, I wasn't such a wisaguy then... but still, if
    you were a teacher you didn't want me in your class.


    My father told of his High School years (Oyster Bay High School, Oyster
    Bay, LI) and that the Italian kids always brought leftover fried pepper,
    onion and perhaps fried potato sandwiches. They would be wrapped up in
    waxed paper, and in a brown lunch bag. By lunch time the oil spots
    always appeared on the brown bag which made it obvious as to what was
    inside. Some were embarrassed by those peasant sandwiches...when the
    American kids had store bought wonderbread and bologna or something
    similiar. Nowadays I would take that Italian lunch ANY day over
    wonderbread and coldcuts, wouldn't you?
    I hadn't thought of pizzagaina in years!("pizzachain" it always sounded
    to me as a kid) Now I wish I could have some and can't make it this
    weekend either, darn it.

  4. Teri said:

    Growing up I remember my aunt making something on Easter we called
    pizzagaina.

    It is an American transmogrification of the Neapolitan pizza ripiena
    (filled or stuffed pizza), in the local dialect "chiena".

    Victor

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.