"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> PK wrote:
>
> > PhilO wrote:
> >
> >>Challenge accepted!
> >>
> >>How about swimming? 33 people drowned whilst swimming in 2001 (ROSPA). There were 19 cyclist
> >>deaths in the same year.
> >
>
> >
> > Nice to see you acknowledge that a helmet is protective equipment.
> >
> >
>
> I think we may have just discovered an occupation where a chunk of expanded polystyrene really
> would have significant protective effect. Compulsory full-face helmets for swimmers, anyone?
>
> James
>
Working as a lifeguard I fully support this idea, if not for saving the lives of individuals then
for shielding us poor attendants from the grimaces pulled by *some* of our customers whilst
attempting to swim ;-)...and if they could be designed to stop the mad head thrashing that some
individuals do when trying to keep their faces dry whilst doing a poor impression of the front
crawl!! (why do they do that??...what is their problem??) - 'twould certainly help protect those
delicate cervical vertebrae Dave.
p.s. - tenuous link to bring back on topic, if not thread - I also work as a swimming teacher and
most children use a cycling action of the legs when initially being taught to do front crawl
kick. Takes a while to get them to change - "You're not riding a bike!, you're swimming!! That
won't work!!- kick!! - from the hip, straight leg, floppy ankles!!etc&etc...." 8oP

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:06:24 -0000, "Mark Thompson"
<[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>The fact it was written in 1996 explains the use of the 54 figure. It doesn't explain why they are
>still using it though!

No, I think there is a different explanation for that. And for the fact that when GMTV called them
on it they said it was a BHIT estimate based on under-reporting. Of child deaths?

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>
> Aha, gotcha. It was attributed to an anonymous author, but the report can
be
> found at Arch Dis Child 1996;75;463 The fact it was written in 1996
explains
> the use of the 54 figure. It doesn't explain why they are still using it though!
>

The interesting thing about that reference is its on the Letters page so is presumably a figure
attributed to an anonymous person in a letter to the journal (that page is not reproduced in the on-
line journal). That's what I like, solid evidence.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.