PK and Gonzalez - sit down and have a pint

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> PK wrote:
>
> > PhilO wrote:
> >
> >>Challenge accepted!
> >>
> >>How about swimming? 33 people drowned whilst swimming in 2001 (ROSPA). There were 19 cyclist
> >>deaths in the same year.
> >

> > Nice to see you acknowledge that a helmet is protective equipment.
> >

> I think we may have just discovered an occupation where a chunk of expanded polystyrene really
> would have significant protective effect. Compulsory full-face helmets for swimmers, anyone?
>
> James

Working as a lifeguard I fully support this idea, if not for saving the lives of individuals then
for shielding us poor attendants from the grimaces pulled by *some* of our customers whilst
attempting to swim ;-)...and if they could be designed to stop the mad head thrashing that some
individuals do when trying to keep their faces dry whilst doing a poor impression of the front
crawl!! (why do they do that??...what is their problem??) - 'twould certainly help protect those
delicate cervical vertebrae Dave.
p.s. - tenuous link to bring back on topic, if not thread - I also work as a swimming teacher and
most children use a cycling action of the legs when initially being taught to do front crawl
kick. Takes a while to get them to change - "You're not riding a bike!, you're swimming!! That
won't work!!- kick!! - from the hip, straight leg, floppy ankles!!etc&etc...." 8oP

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:06:24 -0000, "Mark Thompson"
<[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>The fact it was written in 1996 explains the use of the 54 figure. It doesn't explain why they are
>still using it though!

No, I think there is a different explanation for that. And for the fact that when GMTV called them
on it they said it was a BHIT estimate based on under-reporting. Of child deaths?

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>

> Aha, gotcha. It was attributed to an anonymous author, but the report can
be
> found at Arch Dis Child 1996;75;463 The fact it was written in 1996
explains
> the use of the 54 figure. It doesn't explain why they are still using it though!

The interesting thing about that reference is its on the Letters page so is presumably a figure
attributed to an anonymous person in a letter to the journal (that page is not reproduced in the on-
line journal). That's what I like, solid evidence.

Tony