Places to ride in south CA

John

Guest
Hi all, we will be driving from the S.F. bay area to San Diego next week, and I am looking for good
places to put up a tent and ride on the way down. We have young kids with us, so short scenic
singletrack rides would be best. I found some trails in the San Gabriel mtns on mtbreview.com but I
am not sure if they are snow free yet... any suggestion welcome!

Thanks!

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 18:51:54 +0000, John wrote:

> Hi all, we will be driving from the S.F. bay area to San Diego next week, and I am looking for
> good places to put up a tent and ride on the way down. We have young kids with us, so short scenic
> singletrack rides would be best. I found some trails in the San Gabriel mtns on mtbreview.com but
> I am not sure if they are snow free yet... any suggestion welcome!
>
> Thanks!

Don't know much about the SG mtns, but the santa monica's are pretty nice. Short and with kids cuts
down your options though. I'd look at Sage park, west end of the San Fernando Valley, Intersection
of Woosley and Black canyons. Campgrounds, BBQ's 3 mile loop of beautiful but wide singletrack, many
rideable rock formations, etc... I take my kids (7 & 9) there and they never want to leave. It's
perfect this time of year too, carpets of wildflowers, no ticks, yet...

The backbone trail has some nice sections, but you're kids would have to be into the pain of never
ending climbs.

-Bruce.

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all, we will be driving from the S.F. bay area to San Diego next week, and I am looking for
> good places to put up a tent and ride on the way down. We have young kids with us, so short scenic
> singletrack rides would be best. I found some trails in the San Gabriel mtns on mtbreview.com but
> I am not sure if they are snow free yet... any suggestion welcome!

Try the SART. It was dry Monday.

JD

> "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi all, we will be driving from the S.F. bay area to San Diego next
week,
> > and I am looking for good places to put up a tent and ride on the way
down.
> > We have young kids with us, so short scenic singletrack rides would be
best.
> > I found some trails in the San Gabriel mtns on mtbreview.com but I am
not
> > sure if they are snow free yet... any suggestion welcome!
>
> Try the SART. It was dry Monday.

DAMMIT! I've *got* to get registered for ride announcements!

Bill "B List" S.

Sorni wrote:

>>"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>Hi all, we will be driving from the S.F. bay area to San Diego next
>
> week,
>
>>>and I am looking for good places to put up a tent and ride on the way
>
> down.
>
>>>We have young kids with us, so short scenic singletrack rides would be
>
> best.
>
>>>I found some trails in the San Gabriel mtns on mtbreview.com but I am
>
> not
>
>>>sure if they are snow free yet... any suggestion welcome!
>>
>>Try the SART. It was dry Monday.
>

> DAMMIT! I've *got* to get registered for ride announcements!

Oh yeah, you missed out, it was AMAZING! Trail conditions were perfect, weather was perfect, I
cleaned everything on the trail, damn, it was incredible. In my dreams.

Greg "didn't make it either" T.

news:<[email protected]>...
> Sorni wrote:
> > DAMMIT! I've *got* to get registered for ride announcements!

You are, but time was highly budgeted and I didnt think you would want to be up and driving at 5AM.

> Oh yeah, you missed out, it was AMAZING! Trail conditions were perfect, weather was perfect, I
> cleaned everything on the trail, damn, it was incredible. In my dreams.
>
> Greg "didn't make it either" T.

C'mon Greg, There's nothing technical on that trail. I'll have some pics up soon, as the Angry Man
was with me.

JD

Thanks for all the reply! We'll be camping in the Santa Monica mountains. All the state park
campgrounds are full, but the private Malibu Beach RV park ( www.maliburv.com ) still had many tent
sites available.