Places to stay while riding in the French Alps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Me

Hi, just a quick question for those of you who have ridden in france before.

I'd like to try my hand at riding some of the classic tour climbs in the alps that I have seen on
the TV which I assume are in the alps and not the pyerennees such as alp d'huez, ventoux, galiber
and others... (please don't crucify my spelling as I don't speak french and I am spelling them
phoneticallly)

I've never been in the high mountains before and would probably be knackered after the first hour
but would like to just show up and ride some of the local routes while having a go up one or two of
the more famous roads.

I was thinking about heading over there in the car with the wife in the late spring to early summer.
All pre tour most likely. Is it too cold in may?

Ideally, somewhere I could ride the bike out of whereever we were staying and do a loop of say
3-4 hours but if I had to put the bike in a car for a short drive before riding that would be a
second option.

I met someone on a bike one time who said Grenoble was well placed as any. Any suggestions?

What would a self catering cottage/gite/flat whatever cost for two people for a week? Websites? Any
one have some first hand experience?

happy holidays and thanks for the advice,

Me wrote:
> Hi, just a quick question for those of you who have ridden in france before.
>
> I'd like to try my hand at riding some of the classic tour climbs in the alps that I have seen on
> the TV which I assume are in the alps and not the pyerennees such as alp d'huez, ventoux, galiber
> and others... (please don't crucify my spelling as I don't speak french and I am spelling them
> phoneticallly)
>
> I've never been in the high mountains before and would probably be knackered after the first hour
> but would like to just show up and ride some of the local routes while having a go up one or two
> of the more famous roads.
>
> I was thinking about heading over there in the car with the wife in the late spring to early
> summer. All pre tour most likely. Is it too cold in may?
>
> Ideally, somewhere I could ride the bike out of whereever we were staying and do a loop of say
> 3-4 hours but if I had to put the bike in a car for a short drive before riding that would be a
> second option.
>
> I met someone on a bike one time who said Grenoble was well placed as any. Any suggestions?
>
> What would a self catering cottage/gite/flat whatever cost for two people for a week? Websites?
> Any one have some first hand experience?
>
> happy holidays and thanks for the advice,

From my experiences of being in the Dauphine Alps in the summer (white water canoeing rather
than cycling):

* It will be cold in May high up.
* Try staying in some of the villages / towns such as Barcelonette (Ubaye Valley - great circuits
over to Guillestre), Guillestre (up the Guil Valley - can get over to the Ubaye Valley or cycle up
the col d'Angel towards Italy through the highest commune in Europe), Argentiere la Bessee (out
and back rides up the Biaisse, Gyr and Onde valleys, both ending with spectacular glaciers),
Briancon (Nevache, Plampinet - riding up to the Claree valley - one of the prettiest I've ever
seen, and over the col de Montgenevre, and also up the Guisane valley to the col du Galibier.
* Briancon is a skining area (Serre Chevalier), so there will be apartments and chalets available at
good prices - check out the ski villages of Chantmerle and Villeneuve.
* Out and back rides up valleys can be most rewarding - no people, bars / coffee at the tops
(especially the Gyr and Claree :), andf the views are totally different in either direction.
And.... when you're totally knackered, just turn around and enjoy the roll back down :)
* Plenty for the wife to do also - lovely sights, good food for evening reconstitution, shopping
and loads of ambience. If she's active there are great walks, downhill mountain biking (hire a
bike and go up the ski lifts in Briancon), parapente, white water kayaking and rafting
(commercial trips).

Cheers, Chris

Me wrote:

There are many many small hotels in the Alps set up for winter skiing but also open in Summer. I
like Serre Chavalier which is near Briancon an the start of the south side of the Col de Lauteret.
From there you can ride over the Col de Montgenevre then up to Sestriere and back. Or up the
Lauteret and Galibier and back. Or over the Lauteret to Bourg d'Oison and Alp d'Huez. Bourg d'Oison
is a good place for Alp d'Huez and the Cols de Glandon, Crois de Fer. You could do the Marmotte
which is 170 km circuit covering Crois de Fer and Galibier. The road from Bourg to Briancon also has
the turn off for Les Deux Alps.

There are many other Alpline areas of course, such as around Morzine. Grenoble is a big
citywhich is about 25 miles from Bourg d'Oison. If you are driving you might as well stay in the
mountains though.

Me wrote:

> Hi, just a quick question for those of you who have ridden in france before.
>
> I'd like to try my hand at riding some of the classic tour climbs in the alps that I have seen on
> the TV which I assume are in the alps and not the pyerennees such as alp d'huez, ventoux, galiber
> and others.

> I've never been in the high mountains before and would probably be knackered after the first hour
> but would like to just show up and ride some of the local routes while having a go up one or two
> of the more famous roads.

I have ridden all those climbs (yes they are all Alpine) and the trick really is to have a low gear
and just ride up within your limits. I would aim to have a gear at least as low as around 30".

> I was thinking about heading over there in the car with the wife in the late spring to
> early summer.

In May I think you may find the highest climbs could still closed such as Galibier and Ventoux. Some
only open in June. L'Alpe d'Huez will be OK as it goes to a ski resort.

> All pre tour most likely. Is it too cold in may?

It will certainly be chilly on the descents. Make sure you have warm clothing at the top and good
gloves. I slipped up once when I woke to a heavy frost near Val d'Isere and had to put all my spare
socks over my hands :-(

> I met someone on a bike one time who said Grenoble was well placed as any. Any suggestions?

I've flown yo Grenoble on a number of occasions and it is a good base. You could also look at Lyon
for some lower climbs and even Geneva. Bourg d'Oisons could also make a good base for circuits and
the area is wonderful for riding.

> What would a self catering cottage/gite/flat whatever cost for two people for a week?

Sorry, can't help you there. I always camp/bivvy.

John B

* Briancon is a skiing area (Serre Chevalier), so there will be apartments
> and chalets available at good prices - check out the ski villages of Chantmerle and Villeneuve.

The Hotel Plein Sud in Chantmerle is *excellent* for cyclists. They've had pro teams doing training
camps there and the food is basically all you can eat with loads of pasta, and protein.

It's about 3k up the Lautaret out of Briancon: http://www.cybevasion.com/hotels/france/hotel_hotel-plein-sud_serre-
chevalier_8192.html

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, just a quick question for those of you who have ridden in france
before.
>
> the TV .......
>
> I've never been in the high mountains before and would probably be
knackered
> after the first hour but ........
>
> I was thinking about heading over there in the car with the wife in the
late
> spring to early summer. All pre tour most likely. Is it too cold in may?

Suggest very late May or early June - eg travel out on approximately UK end of May bank holiday.
However, do check the French national holidays because there are several around Witsun which could
make accomodation more difficult.

The flowers in the mountains will be spectacular.

The limestone massif to the SW of Grenoble is worth a trip for the flowers. It also has good
mountain biking over some trail routes (there are restrictions on biking - only on certain routes).
Or there are lots of road biking routes.

The main (higher) alps are to the E of Grenoble.

> Ideally, somewhere I could ride the bike out of whereever we were staying and do a loop of say
> 3-4 hours but if I had to put the bike in a car for a short drive before riding that would be a
> second option.

Weather in late May and early June seems to guarantee afternoon thunder showers, probably building
from 3pm. So, plan your rides for the mornings
:)

Yes, it is a good point to centre on. Though don't stay in the city because it can get unbearably
hot and humid. Go 1000m up into the hills around instead where it will be much cooler.

> What would a self catering cottage/gite/flat whatever cost for two people for a week? Websites?
> Any one have some first hand experience?

Dunno about those, contact the Grenoble tourist office and ask for their leaflets for the
departments surrounding the city.

Also, contact the "Logis de France" hotel chain and get their _local_ guide to Grenoble area. The
2003 copy has a two-page section on a multi-day tour of famous cycling climb routes, with hotels to
stay in along the route. The tour suggested is a bit demanding - 160+km per day, with lots of famous
climbs each day ! The hotels are pretty good value, though even if you decide to stay in self-
catering, the route information you'll gain from their little guide will be useful.

- Nigel

I'm getting itchy feet reading these posts. What gear ratio's do you recommend for these climbs? I'm a reasonably fit age mid 40's rider engaging in regular road racing and about 150 to 200km per week training.

Spider1977 wrote:
> I'm getting itchy feet reading these posts. What gear ratio's do you recommend for these climbs?
> I'm a reasonably fit age mid 40's rider engaging in regular road racing and about 150 to 200km per
> week training.

It depends how loaded you are. With a couple of water bottles and a few Euros in your jersey, a
39x27 should see you right. That's what I used.

Status
Not open for further replies.