Placing a 52T chainring on my Marin Muirwoods hybrid?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, Sep 10, 2005.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Just wondering if I could put a 52T outer chainring on my Marin Muirwoods (hybrid bike with 26" wheels and Deore chainset and derailleur).

    I've had a look at the fitting and I don't see why not. It's a 4 bolt fitting.

    I currently have 48T for the outer chainring with a Deore front derailleur. Would the Deore derailleur be able to handle the bigger chainring?

    Would I need a longer chain?

    Tags:

  2. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > Just wondering if I could put a 52T outer chainring on my Marin
    > Muirwoods (hybrid bike with 26" wheels and Deore chainset and
    > derailleur).
    >
    > I've had a look at the fitting and I don't see why not. It's a 4 bolt
    > fitting.
    >
    > I currently have 48T for the outer chainring with a Deore front
    > derailleur. Would the Deore derailleur be able to handle the bigger
    > chainring?
    >
    > Would I need a longer chain?

    DUnno if you can get a 52 for 4 bolt and that particular PCD. You'll
    have to check. I suspect the front mech will cope, longer chain ? Maybe
    but I doubt it. I'd be confident enough to try it.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > DUnno if you can get a 52 for 4 bolt and that particular PCD. You'll
    > have to check. I suspect the front mech will cope, longer chain ? Maybe
    > but I doubt it. I'd be confident enough to try it.

    If you could get a suitable chainwheel you need to check its not going
    to hit the chainstay and while the mech will probably cope it would be
    better to use a road front mech that is better matched to the curvature
    of the bigger ring.

    --
    Tony

    Anon