plan for a newbie



C

Curt

Guest
I wanted to run by my plan to get my biking up to speed. I am currently running (3 miles @8 min
miles), lifting and swimming (1/2 mile, soon to get up to a mile) 4-5 days a week and will add
biking in two weeks. I want to be able to ride a century and figure it will take me quite a long
time to get there, but have no idea.

I plan on attending spinning classes to start with. I was thinking I would do this for a month just
to get used to using those muscles and work on a smooth motion. Then I will move to my roller
trainer and do some exercises with one leg back and forth to work on my pedaling. I plan on riding
on my trainer mostly once I get used to using the muscles. I live in Pittsburgh (the worst place for
riding a road bike due to attitude of people narrow roads and potholes), but I figure I will move
outside when the weather breaks.

I just wanted to mention my plan here. I am under no one's supervision, I just figured I will get
some saddle time in and keep working on being a good cyclist in form. I am reading books on form,
but I have not read anything about training to ride a century yet. Not only do I want to ride one,
I want to do it and have plenty left in my tank. Hope it is possible. Oh yeah, I am 38 6'2" 185, if
it matters.

Anyway, any tips or opinions would be great. Curt
 
H

Harold Buck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> Anyway, any tips or opinions would be great.

www.trinewbies.com

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson
 
C

Curt

Guest
Thanks Harold. I am glad you took the time to send me a link at least. I didn't know if anyone on
this group would even bother with any reply at all.

Curt

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:no_one_knows-
[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> > Anyway, any tips or opinions would be great.
>
>
> www.trinewbies.com
>
> --Harold Buck
>
>
> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
>
> - Homer J. Simpson
 
H

Harold Buck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks Harold. I am glad you took the time to send me a link at least. I didn't know if anyone on
> this group would even bother with any reply at all.
>

Usually people do, but the traffic here is slow in the off-season.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson
 
C

Curt

Guest
"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Harold. I am glad you took the time to send me a link at least.
I
> > didn't know if anyone on this group would even bother with any reply at
all.
> >
>
>
> Usually people do, but the traffic here is slow in the off-season.
>
> --Harold Buck

You name looks familiar. Did you do Atkins? Or was it an Ironman? I seem to remember your name in
relation to one of those.

Curt
 
H

Harold Buck

Guest
In article <[email protected]y01.gnilink.net>,
"curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You name looks familiar. Did you do Atkins? Or was it an Ironman? I seem to remember your name in
> relation to one of those.
>

I most definitely do not do Atkins. I did Ironman Wisconsin in the fall, and posted a lot about it
before and after the race.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson
 
C

Curt

Guest
Yes, I remember that. I may try an Ironman at some point, but am just going to do some tri's this
summer to see how it goes. If I enjoy them, I may go for it, but first thing is first.

Nice job on finishing that race. I read those posts and really enjoyed them.

Curt

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:no_one_knows-
[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You name looks familiar. Did you do Atkins? Or was it an Ironman? I
seem
> > to remember your name in relation to one of those.
> >
>
> I most definitely do not do Atkins. I did Ironman Wisconsin in the fall, and posted a lot about it
> before and after the race.
>
> --Harold Buck
>
>
> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
>
> - Homer J. Simpson
 
H

Harold Buck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, I remember that. I may try an Ironman at some point, but am just going to do some tri's this
> summer to see how it goes. If I enjoy them, I may go for it, but first thing is first.

It took me three years from my first tri to my first IM, with one season lost while getting my IT
band syndrome straightened out. I'd strongly recommend doing a half-IM before you sign up for a
full, when and if you get to that point.

> Nice job on finishing that race. I read those posts and really enjoyed them.

Thanks!

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson
 
C

Curt

Guest
"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I remember that. I may try an Ironman at some point, but am just
going
> > to do some tri's this summer to see how it goes. If I enjoy them, I may
go
> > for it, but first thing is first.
>
> It took me three years from my first tri to my first IM, with one season lost while getting my IT
> band syndrome straightened out. I'd strongly recommend doing a half-IM before you sign up for a
> full, when and if you get to that point.
>
> > Nice job on finishing that race. I read those posts and really enjoyed them.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> --Harold Buck

I will do a half IM for certain before a full. I am in no rush. If it comes it comes. Long distance
type things do not come natural to me, so I may never get there. It is fun to think about and I am
competitive with myself, so who knows. I think it would be fun to try at some point.

Enjoy Harold, Curt
 
H

Harold Buck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I will do a half IM for certain before a full. I am in no rush. If it comes it comes. Long
> distance type things do not come natural to me, so I may never get there. It is fun to think about
> and I am competitive with myself, so who knows. I think it would be fun to try at some point.

Well, you're in luck, because it's easier to gain endurance than it is to get fast. Keep us updated
on your progress.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson
 

Similar threads

C
Replies
25
Views
1K
Road Cycling
Ewoud Dronkert
E