Plan of Attack

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joe Braun, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Joe Braun

    Joe Braun Guest

    After a good nights sleep and a lot of thinking, I believe I know what I need to do.

    I think that I have found where my weekly "breaking point" is; about 55-60miles. If I do just that,
    I can hang on for the next week. So for my marathon peak, I am going to sit around 55-60 miles for
    four weeks and then taper for two weeks. I think by doing this I will avoid blowing up and be able
    to maintain week after week of quality sessions. Thats what I'm really after. I'm not a mileage
    junkie and never will be. Lately I have been too hung up on my mileage rather than quality.

    As for the rest of this week before my race, I am taking two days off and then will run an EZ
    40min the day before my 1/2 marathon. I am going out of my skull resting. It drives me nuts but my
    wife agrees.

    Thanks for all your help.

    jOe

    Tags:

  2. >After a good nights sleep and a lot of thinking, I believe I know what I need to do.

    How about blowing me Joe? I'll like it, you'll like it, and we'll both be happy campers?

    Enjoy.

    --
    Ed Prochak running: http://www.fags.org/faqs/running-fag/ family:
    http://web.magicinterface.com/~fagcollins

  3. ahass

    ahass Guest

    If 55-60 is your breaking point, you should not do this several weeks in a row. Try: Week 1- 50 Week
    2- 53 Week 3- 60 Week 4- 50 -two week taper following. I never run my highest mileage week the last
    cycle (ie 3-4 week period including several hard weeks and a rest week) because why would you do
    anything you ahve never done before that close to the race??? If you push it over the line your
    two-week taper will not save you. Better to peak out the cycle previous, then approach it again the
    last cycle but fall just short (5-10 miles). Andy Hass

    Joe Braun <[email protected]> wrote:
    > After a good nights sleep and a lot of thinking, I believe I know what I need to do.

    > I think that I have found where my weekly "breaking point" is; about 55-60miles. If I do just
    > that, I can hang on for the next week. So for my marathon peak, I am going to sit around 55-60
    > miles for four weeks and then taper for two weeks. I think by doing this I will avoid blowing up
    > and be able to maintain week after week of quality sessions. Thats what I'm really after. I'm not
    > a mileage junkie and never will be. Lately I have been too hung up on my mileage rather than
    > quality.

    > As for the rest of this week before my race, I am taking two days off and then will run an EZ
    > 40min the day before my 1/2 marathon. I am going out of my skull resting. It drives me nuts but my
    > wife agrees.

    > Thanks for all your help.

    > jOe

  4. Joe Braun

    Joe Braun Guest

    your place or mine?

    jOe

    "GoodEdProchak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >After a good nights sleep and a lot of thinking, I believe I know what I need to do.
    >
    > How about blowing me Joe? I'll like it, you'll like it, and we'll both be
    happy
    > campers?
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >

    > --
    > Ed Prochak running: http://www.fags.org/faqs/running-fag/ family:
    > http://web.magicinterface.com/~fagcollins
    > --
    > "Two roads diverged in a wood and I I took the one less travelled by and that has made no
    > difference at all." rob frostee

  5. Joe Braun

    Joe Braun Guest

    i have typically found that i can recover in a two week period. any more than that starts to hurt me
    i think. i've never tried a three week taper. it seems a bit much.

    thanks andy

    jOe