Plan to cycle Exmoor, Somerset this year

Snowbound

Oct 25, 2003
Coming from the new world this summer and I'm longing to tour Exmoor National Park. I drove (yuk!) through this sensational area in '98 and swore I would return with the road bike. Any advice, experience, knowledge of good pubs or suggestions for reference material would be appreciated. (e.g. Are the Ordnance Survey Cycle maps useful for road work?).

Thanks, eh?

it's pretty hilly. i was there last week. there are a load of nice pubs around, so you can restock with food in style. the hunters inn is a good start - near combe martin. trouble is that it's at the bottom of a big valley and getting out is a struggle whichever way you go. the staghuners inn at brendon is nice as well, and similarly steep in or out.

os maps aren't bad for exmoor, as you probably won't be going far enough to need a second map.
nice route is from woolacombe to lynton via combe martin, and onto porlock weir, then back via simonsbath. there's also a superb climb out of combe martin to the road that leads to the hunters inn. about 1 in 4 or something...

Originally posted by Snowbound
Coming from the new world this summer and I'm longing to tour Exmoor National Park. I drove (yuk!) through this sensational area in '98 and swore I would return with the road bike. Any advice, experience, knowledge of good pubs or suggestions for reference material would be appreciated. (e.g. Are the Ordnance Survey Cycle maps useful for road work?).

Thanks, eh?