Planes, trains and not automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martin

Anyone out there with useful dos and don'ts on taking your bike on a plane? I'm heading to the alps
in the summer and would like it to arrive in good condition. How far would I have to dismantle it?
The minimum stated by the airline is part deflate the tyres, turn the bars round by 90 degrees and
remove the pedals, but this will still leave a large package, but does this make baggage handlers
treat it with any respect? (no chance probably) Are purpose-made bike bags worth the money over a
cardboard box and bubble-wrap? I have the original box from the frame but this would involve major
dismantling

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers

Martin

martin wrote:
> Anyone out there with useful dos and don'ts on taking your bike on a plane? I'm heading to the
> alps in the summer and would like it to arrive in good condition. How far would I have to
> dismantle it? The minimum stated by the airline is part deflate the tyres, turn the bars round by
> 90 degrees and remove the pedals, but this will still leave a large package, but does this make
> baggage handlers treat it with any respect?

It's a lottery - get a hardend case for your bike. It sucks arriving just to learn that first order
of business is to find the LBS to get spare parts. If the case is compact enough there's a chance
you won't have to pay extra else try to pass it of as art.

Also when thinking of the tire deflation thing I wonder about suspension if you are riding on air. I
don't think it matters but how knows. Maybe it would be a good thing to let out some air of the
shock and fork if relevant.

Regards

Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.