Planet Bike fenders

"M. Chandler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Looking for feedback on the Planet Bike recumbent (20"26") fenders.
> Good, bad, etc...

I could never get the supports to stay attached to the fender. Others
have had better luck.

I have the Freddy Fender for my TE (20"). Two issues - related: the mud
flap does its job, but it tends to catch on speed bumps, etc., and you
definitely have to lift the front of the bike over curbs. Failing to do
this will dislodge the metal stays, as will a very rough road.

Steve

--
Steve Fox
McKinleyville, CA

Steve Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<FQf7d.12490$Hz.12277@fed1read04>...
> I have the Freddy Fender for my TE (20"). Two issues - related: the mud
> flap does its job, but it tends to catch on speed bumps, etc., and you
> definitely have to lift the front of the bike over curbs. Failing to do
> this will dislodge the metal stays, as will a very rough road.
>
> Steve
>
> M. Chandler wrote:
>
> > Looking for feedback on the Planet Bike recumbent (20"26") fenders.
> > Good, bad, etc...

here are some photos of my V2 with planet bike fenders. Great product
http://community.webshots.com/album/61282231rSoxbe

Ditto - We have taken to using electrical tape to keep the support
attached to the fender.

[email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> here are some photos of my V2 with planet bike fenders. Great product
> http://community.webshots.com/album/61282231rSoxbe

Note that Bill's bike has traditional metal fender/stay attachement.
The set I had the trouble with had plastic bits that came unfastened
when I hit bumps.

IIRC my set was actually mixed. The front fender (still on the bike)
had the traditional metal bits. The rear had the pastic attachment
points. I gave that fender away to someone who is more mechanically
inclined than myself.

I replaced the rear fender with a Rans fender. This also has a new
style fender/stay attachement. It does not allow adjustment of the
stay length the way the old metal style does, but it has stayed
together.

BTW, on a recumbent, I mount the front fender backwards. Mounted
correctly, I still got spray on the underside of my legs, plus I got
blow back from the top side. Mounted backwards, The bottom spray
really isn't any worse, and the top side eliminated blow back.

It also eliminates the issue about hitting the fender on curbs and
such.

This was on a medium height BB bike. On a low BB bike, I might have
reached a different conclusion.

john riley wrote:

> [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>here are some photos of my V2 with planet bike fenders. Great product
>>http://community.webshots.com/album/61282231rSoxbe

> Note that Bill's bike has traditional metal fender/stay attachement.
> The set I had the trouble with had plastic bits that came unfastened
> when I hit bumps.
>
> IIRC my set was actually mixed. The front fender (still on the bike)
> had the traditional metal bits. The rear had the pastic attachment
> points. I gave that fender away to someone who is more mechanically
> inclined than myself.
>
> I replaced the rear fender with a R[ANS] fender. This also has a new
> style fender/stay attachement. It does not allow adjustment of the
> stay length the way the old metal style does, but it has stayed
> together.

Pun intended?

> BTW, on a recumbent, I mount the front fender backwards. Mounted
> correctly, I still got spray on the underside of my legs, plus I got
> blow back from the top side. Mounted backwards, The bottom spray
> really isn't any worse, and the top side eliminated blow back.
>
> It also eliminates the issue about hitting the fender on curbs and
> such.
>
> This was on a medium height BB bike. On a low BB bike, I might have
> reached a different conclusion.

Was this on a LWB bicycle? Certainly the older RANS fenders did not work
that well on their LWB bicycles unless the bracket that mounts to the
fork was moved back on the fender. I suspect these fenders were designed
for either an upright or the V-Rex and Rocket.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

> Was this on a LWB bicycle? Certainly the older RANS fenders did not work
> that well on their LWB bicycles unless the bracket that mounts to the
> fork was moved back on the fender.

Yes, LWB. Seemed easier to just mount it backwards.

john riley wrote:

> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>Was this on a LWB bicycle? Certainly the older RANS fenders did not work
>>that well on their LWB bicycles unless the bracket that mounts to the
>>fork was moved back on the fender.

> Yes, LWB. Seemed easier to just mount it backwards.

I though about mounting the front fender backward on the RANS
"Wavewind", but it would have put the fender farther forward than I
wanted it.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

The new fender support system was poorly thought out.
You can NOT install the Planet Bike fender without a
hacksaw and fresh blade to the cut the stainless steel
support mounts to the correct length.

The old fender support system was superior. Too bad
that Planet Bike let their vendor talk them into
accepting such a poor design.