Planet Bike Freddy Fenders clip-on or Hardcore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grl

After a good soaking/grime coating of my bike and back-side yesterday on a road ride in a rain
torrent, I've decided to get a set of Planet Bike Freddy Fenders.

They come in two flavors: Hardcore fixed mount (well reviewed in the press) and a clip-on
style. I'd prefer the clip-on style and wonder if anyone would care to share their experience
with that version.

I'm interested in effectiveness, durability, and easy of removal/mounting.

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)

"GRL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> After a good soaking/grime coating of my bike and back-side yesterday on a road ride in a rain
> torrent, I've decided to get a set of Planet Bike Freddy Fenders.
>
> They come in two flavors: Hardcore fixed mount (well reviewed in the press) and a clip-on style.
> I'd prefer the clip-on style and wonder if anyone would care to share their experience with that
> version.
>
> I'm interested in effectiveness, durability, and easy of removal/mounting.

I use the Hardcore sort. Effective. Good-looking. Easy to mount. Dismounting is less easy, but this
is a bike that I don't disassemble, ever, so not a serious consideration.

Get them. they're good.

[BTW, has anybody out there tried mounting a fender-mount taillight setup on the Planet Bike Freddy
Fenders hardcore? contemplating doing that someday, but unsure as to how to proceed]

-Luigi -Luigi

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

> "GRL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > After a good soaking/grime coating of my bike and back-side yesterday on a road ride in a rain
> > torrent, I've decided to get a set of Planet Bike Freddy Fenders.
> >
> > They come in two flavors: Hardcore fixed mount (well reviewed in the press) and a clip-on style.
> > I'd prefer the clip-on style and wonder if anyone would care to share their experience with that
> > version.
> >
> > I'm interested in effectiveness, durability, and easy of removal/mounting.
>
> I use the Hardcore sort. Effective. Good-looking. Easy to mount. Dismounting is less easy, but
> this is a bike that I don't disassemble, ever, so not a serious consideration.
>
> Get them. they're good.
>
> [BTW, has anybody out there tried mounting a fender-mount taillight setup on the Planet Bike
> Freddy Fenders hardcore? contemplating doing that someday, but unsure as to how to proceed]
>
> -Luigi -Luigi

Luigi, nope I just hang a blinkie on the back of my rack trunk. I answer you in basic prose, if I
tried rhyme you'd twist my nose. ;-}

re: clip on fenders, I used a pair "Hebie" brand? for a couple of years. They weren't awful, in fact
they were durable, still have them, still in good shape. They have the drawback that seems to apply
to all clip on fenders. They are a bit short, so you still get some spray. Hardware fenders like
"Freddie Fenders" wrap around the wheel further, and have a little mudflap too. Best regards, Bernie

In article <[email protected]>, "GRL" <[email protected]> writes:
> After a good soaking/grime coating of my bike and back-side yesterday on a road ride in a rain
> torrent, I've decided to get a set of Planet Bike Freddy Fenders.
>
> They come in two flavors: Hardcore fixed mount (well reviewed in the press)

That's what I've got on a couple of my bikes. Also a similar pair of metallized plastic Mt. Zefal
full fenders on my most recent fixer-upper.

> and a clip-on style. I'd prefer the clip-on style and wonder if anyone would care to share their
> experience with that version.

I haven't dealt with Freddy Fender clip-ons. But I *have* dealt with cheap-o, shorty Mt Zefals. In a
word, they suck. Not enough coverage, but what was worse: the front fender hung on an L-shaped
bracket off the front brake bolt. No other securing.

Eventually, the L-shaped bracket snapped, from the fender vibrating and getting toe-overlapped so
much. The front fender clattered to the asphalt, and as I turned around and rode back to clean-up my
offal off the street, a bunch of on-lookers were pleased to inform me that I had just lost a fender.

Whatever kind of fender you get: it needs more than one mount point.

The "hardcore" Freddy Fenders go all the way down, and that's a big help toward keeping a clean
(well, less gritty) chain in the rain.

If you get the full fenders with the eyelet struts -- don't forget to periodically check the
hardware for tightness. It has a way of working loose, just like old-style nutted axles.

If you have threaded eyelets, and the rear, drive-side screw is so long as to poke into the rear
cogs & chain, you can just space it back with washers, if you don't have the wherewithal to grind it
to proper length.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Tom Keats wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "GRL" <[email protected]> writes:
> > After a good soaking/grime coating of my bike and back-side yesterday on a road ride in a rain
> > torrent, I've decided to get a set of Planet Bike Freddy Fenders.
> >
> > They come in two flavors: Hardcore fixed mount (well reviewed in the press)
>
> That's what I've got on a couple of my bikes. Also a similar pair of metallized plastic Mt. Zefal
> full fenders on my most recent fixer-upper.
>
> > and a clip-on style. I'd prefer the clip-on style and wonder if anyone would care to share their
> > experience with that version.
>
> I haven't dealt with Freddy Fender clip-ons. But I *have* dealt with cheap-o, shorty Mt Zefals. In
> a word, they suck. Not enough coverage, but what was worse: the front fender hung on an L-shaped
> bracket off the front brake bolt. No other securing.
>
> Eventually, the L-shaped bracket snapped, from the fender vibrating and getting toe-overlapped
> so much. The front fender clattered to the asphalt, and as I turned around and rode back to
> clean-up my offal off the street, a bunch of on-lookers were pleased to inform me that I had
> just lost a fender.
>
> Whatever kind of fender you get: it needs more than one mount point.
>
> The "hardcore" Freddy Fenders go all the way down, and that's a big help toward keeping a clean
> (well, less gritty) chain in the rain.
>
> If you get the full fenders with the eyelet struts -- don't forget to periodically check the
> hardware for tightness. It has a way of working loose, just like old-style nutted axles.
>
> If you have threaded eyelets, and the rear, drive-side screw is so long as to poke into the rear
> cogs & chain, you can just space it back with washers, if you don't have the wherewithal to grind
> it to proper length.
>
> cheers, Tom
>
> --
> -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
> [point] bc [point] ca

Tom I agree 100% on the fenders issue. Side issue: did you find those little oily fish? Bernie

>If you get the full fenders with the eyelet struts -- don't forget to periodically check the
>hardware for tightness. It has a way of working loose, just like old-style nutted axles.

Blue Loctite that fender hardware, it'll keep everything in sync.

Only thing I can add other than that is to use Real Metal (tm) fasteners, I don't care what they say
about zipties, they die in cold weather when you have a bunch of snow jammed under the fender.

>If you have threaded eyelets, and the rear, drive-side screw is so long as to poke into the rear
>cogs & chain, you can just space it back with washers, if you don't have the wherewithal to grind
>it to proper length.

Good point.

Or you can just get the proper length metric cap screw (see I know a technical term) from your local
well-stocked hardware store.

Stainless, of course.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> writes:

> Tom I agree 100% on the fenders issue.

Fenders that mount only at one point are doomed to breaking off.

> Side issue: did you find those little oily fish?

No, but my cravings, as usual, metamorphosed. I was extremely able to deal with my most recent
hankerings for beef & tomato on rice yesterday; and today, chicken and black bean sauce on chow fun
noodles w/ two kinds of mushrooms.

Good stuff for > stored power ... < weight gain.

Some Asian recipes provide more nutritional balance in one dish, than a lot of "Western" stuff.

cheers, Tom

--