Planet Bike Freddy Fenders tough to mount

Gooserider

Guest
I was having difficulty getting tire clearance with my fender/tire
combination. I finally managed to rig it with a combination of three hands
and zip ties. The bike is a 2007 Surly Pacer, and tolerances were tight.
Planet Bike is a good company, makes good products, and gives money back to
cycling organizations. That's fine. But their fender mounting system could
be much better. The problem, as I see it, is with the separate clip they use
to mount to the brake bridge. It's difficult to put pressure on the clip to
get the fender up while tightening the brake bolt. It would be much easier
if the mounting tab was bolted to the fender, like SKS. My four zip tie
situation doesn't look like the most professional set up, but I have no rub.

Mike

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:44:13 -0400, Gooserider wrote:

> I was having difficulty getting tire clearance with my fender/tire
> combination. I finally managed to rig it with a combination of three hands
> and zip ties. The bike is a 2007 Surly Pacer, and tolerances were tight.
> Planet Bike is a good company, makes good products, and gives money back to
> cycling organizations. That's fine. But their fender mounting system could
> be much better. The problem, as I see it, is with the separate clip they use
> to mount to the brake bridge. It's difficult to put pressure on the clip to
> get the fender up while tightening the brake bolt. It would be much easier
> if the mounting tab was bolted to the fender, like SKS. My four zip tie
> situation doesn't look like the most professional set up, but I have no rub.
>
> Mike

As someone once told me--"Ye pays yer money or ye takes yer time."

The Freddy Fenders brake bridge bracket does hang, and assumes a bit more
clearance at the brake bridge, this is true. If you don't want to return
your Planet Bike fenders and get something else--like the SKS ones--it
will please you to know that the Planet Bike fenders seem to be OK with
drilling.

I hacked up a single-ziptie mount for my brother's old ten-speed:

http://ouij.livejournal.com/234023.html

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1177/795916532_fdd3d7186b_b.jpg

That required only one ~ 3mm hole to be drilled in the fender. If you
want something neater, I imagine that it should be possible to drill
the fender in a like fashion and pop-rivet a smaller bracket there.

Good luck.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:44:13 -0400, Gooserider wrote:
>
>> I was having difficulty getting tire clearance with my fender/tire
>> combination. I finally managed to rig it with a combination of three
>> hands
>> and zip ties. The bike is a 2007 Surly Pacer, and tolerances were tight.
>> Planet Bike is a good company, makes good products, and gives money back
>> cycling organizations. That's fine. But their fender mounting system
>> could
>> be much better. The problem, as I see it, is with the separate clip they
>> use
>> to mount to the brake bridge. It's difficult to put pressure on the clip
>> get the fender up while tightening the brake bolt. It would be much
>> easier
>> if the mounting tab was bolted to the fender, like SKS. My four zip tie
>> situation doesn't look like the most professional set up, but I have no
>> rub.
>>
>> Mike

> As someone once told me--"Ye pays yer money or ye takes yer time."
>
> The Freddy Fenders brake bridge bracket does hang, and assumes a bit more
> clearance at the brake bridge, this is true. If you don't want to return
> your Planet Bike fenders and get something else--like the SKS ones--it
> will please you to know that the Planet Bike fenders seem to be OK with
> drilling.
>
> I hacked up a single-ziptie mount for my brother's old ten-speed:
>
> http://ouij.livejournal.com/234023.html
>
> http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1177/795916532_fdd3d7186b_b.jpg
>
> That required only one ~ 3mm hole to be drilled in the fender. If you
> want something neater, I imagine that it should be possible to drill
> the fender in a like fashion and pop-rivet a smaller bracket there.
>
> Good luck.

Luigi---

I ended up making the slot in the bracket longer, then running zip ties
through the channels in the bracket up to the chainstays, then
daisy-chaining those zipties to the brake bridge. It worked. It's overkill,
as I'm still utilizing the original mounting equipment. Fender shouldn't be
going anywhere.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:44:13 -0400, Gooserider wrote:

> I was having difficulty getting tire clearance with my fender/tire
> combination. I finally managed to rig it with a combination of three hands
> and zip ties. The bike is a 2007 Surly Pacer, and tolerances were tight.
> Planet Bike is a good company, makes good products, and gives money back to
> cycling organizations. That's fine. But their fender mounting system could
> be much better. The problem, as I see it, is with the separate clip they use
> to mount to the brake bridge. It's difficult to put pressure on the clip to
> get the fender up while tightening the brake bolt. It would be much easier
> if the mounting tab was bolted to the fender, like SKS. My four zip tie
> situation doesn't look like the most professional set up, but I have no rub.
>
> Mike

As tough to mount as this? http://tinyurl.com/bby7q

Jobst Brandt

On 2007-07-24, Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's difficult to put pressure on the clip to
> get the fender up while tightening the brake bolt. It would be much easier
> if the mounting tab was bolted to the fender, like SKS.

I don't know if it would have helped with your problem, but when
installing fenders on bikes with caliper brakes I really like the
replacement brake nuts shown about half way down this page:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/berthoudinst.asp

With these I can get the fenders off in 2 minutes and back on
in about 3 minutes (which I do frequently since I'm not fond of
fenders when it isn't raining). No need to screw with the
brakes.

The only thing I don't like about them is the price he charges.
I bought the first pair at Peter White Cycles, but when I saw them
at a (usually oh-so-expensive) UK bike shop for less than half
that price I bought a lifetime supply.

Dennis Ferguson

On Jul 24, 1:06 am, Jobst Brandt <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:44:13 -0400, Gooserider wrote:
> > I was having difficulty getting tire clearance with my fender/tire
> > combination. I finally managed to rig it with a combination of three hands
> > and zip ties. The bike is a 2007 Surly Pacer, and tolerances were tight.
> > Planet Bike is a good company, makes good products, and gives money back to
> > cycling organizations. That's fine. But their fender mounting system could
> > be much better. The problem, as I see it, is with the separate clip they use
> > to mount to the brake bridge. It's difficult to put pressure on the clip to
> > get the fender up while tightening the brake bolt. It would be much easier
> > if the mounting tab was bolted to the fender, like SKS. My four zip tie
> > situation doesn't look like the most professional set up, but I have no rub.

> > Mike

> As tough to mount as this? http://tinyurl.com/bby7q
>
> Jobst Brandt

Fair warning to everyone else: That link is not safe for work,
children, national security, keeping your lunch down, or keeping with
your usual persona of not wishing serious bodily harm to other
people. If you're at home, with the with no children in sight, and
are OK with eating in reverse and wishing grave bodily harm to the
leech who posted the link, click away.

On Jul 23, 9:44 pm, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was having difficulty getting tire clearance with my fender/tire
> combination. I finally managed to rig it with a combination of three hands
> and zip ties. The bike is a 2007 Surly Pacer, and tolerances were tight.
> Planet Bike is a good company, makes good products, and gives money back to
> cycling organizations. That's fine. But their fender mounting system could
> be much better. The problem, as I see it, is with the separate clip they use
> to mount to the brake bridge. It's difficult to put pressure on the clip to
> get the fender up while tightening the brake bolt. It would be much easier
> if the mounting tab was bolted to the fender, like SKS. My four zip tie
> situation doesn't look like the most professional set up, but I have no rub.
>
> Mike

I mounted the fenders on a Diamondback hybrid with 700/35 tires with
the enclosed
hardware with no problems. I have plenty of clearance and didn't need
ties.
The only problem I have is that I managed to rip off the rear mud flap
and now have to remove to entire fender to replace. They put rivets
holding the flaps rather than
screws.

Ed