Planning a trip around Lake Geneva (Switzerland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zinc Rave

Hi,

I'm planning a bicycle tour around Lake Geneva (in Switzerland) this July. Can anyone direct me to
some websites with information on planning such a trip? There's 2 of us, not experienced riders (but
quite fit).

I'll appreciate any info.

TIA :) -Z-

[email protected] (Zinc Rave) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning a bicycle tour around Lake Geneva (in Switzerland) this July. Can anyone direct me to
> some websites with information on planning such a trip?

The "cycling in Switzerland" website will certainly help:

http://www.cycling-in-switzerland.ch/

It describes the nine long-distance (for Switzerland) bike routes which cross the country. One of
them, the Rhone route (#1), starts in Geneva and follows the lake on the swiss side up to the
beginning of the Rhone Valley (and then, quite logically, follows the Rhone).

Once in Switzerland, you can go to pretty much any bookshop and buy the books describing the routes.
They contain maps and historical facts about the visited regions.

The routes are usually very easy to follow, there are plenty of signs everywhere.

Michel.

[email protected] (Zinc Rave) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning a bicycle tour around Lake Geneva (in Switzerland) this July. Can anyone direct me to
> some websites with information on planning such a trip? There's 2 of us, not experienced riders
> (but quite fit).
>
> I'll appreciate any info.
>
> TIA :) -Z-

Hello, Cycling around the lake is beautiful. The roads along the lake can be very busy at times,
especially in Geneva and Lausanne. There is a bike lane out of Geneva along the lake, but it
disappears and reappears in many spots. If you can get a copy of the Michelin map
#217 (1/200,000 - 1cm : 2km), you will have a great detailed map
covering the many secondary roads that are just off the lake and offer a much quieter ride when you
need it. You can find these maps at most kiosk and Migros Stores. They are yellow with the map
number in the upper left-hand corner. There 4 maps in this scale that cover all of Switzerland, but
#217 will guide you around the lake. On the French side of the lake you are pretty much limited to
the main road from the Rhone River to Thonon, but the traffic is not nearly as heavy as it is on the
Swiss side. You can also cross the lake with your bike using the regular lake boat service (very
nice and on time). Last year they charged 5SF for my bike. Have a great trip. We will be there in
September.

Mike

On Fri, 09 May 2003 19:19:52 +0000, mperr wrote:

> [email protected] (Zinc Rave) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm planning a bicycle tour around Lake Geneva (in Switzerland) this July. Can anyone direct me
>> to some websites with information on planning such a trip? There's 2 of us, not experienced
>> riders (but quite fit).
>>

First of all, the lake tour is "only" 167 km by the shortest route. This means that a trained
cyclist could do it in only one day. It's probably not your goal, but this is to give you an idea of
distances.

Here are a few comments on the route starting from Geneva towards Lausanne. From Geneva to Morges,
don't try to follow the main road along the lake. It is very busy and you won't usually see the lake
anyway, as it is usually hidden behind private property. Instead, take the secondary road in the
vineyards a few km north. For instance: Versoix - Crassier - Gingins - Vich - Vinzel - Féchy -
Aubonne - Lavigny then back to the lakeside in St-Prex. From Lausanne to Vevey: The main road can
also be very busy, but there you are only meters away from the water and it is very pleasant. If you
don't mind climbing a bit (~200 m), from Lutry you can take the "route de la Corniche" through
Grandvaux - Riex - Chexbres, and the view there is really gorgeous. Vevey and Montreux: follow the
main road, there is no better way as far as I know. There may be a cycle path part of the way.
Villeneuve to St-Gingolph: There is probably a cycle path crossing the Rhone valley. St-Gingolph to
Evian: The main road is the only way. Usually OK on weekdays, can be a nightmare on week-ends. More
traffic from Evian to Thonon. From Thonon back to Geneva, stick to the lakeside as much as you can
by using the secondary road through Yvoire and Hermance.

If you have more time, you might want to cycle a wider loop around the lake. With moderate
elevations you can follow the foot of the Jura range (north side of the lake) through Bière ,
Montricher, maybe up to Romainmôtier (beautiful 15th century abbey). If you are fitter, go to the
Vallée de Joux (passes at 1200 - 1400 m elevation). On the south side of the lake, the Haute Savoie
is also a very nice area, although I suspect the grades will be steeper. I don't know enough of it
to make recommendations.

For preparation if you can't get the Michelin maps at home, look at www.viamichelin.com. Here is in
particular the map that shows Geneva - you can move using the sliders at the edge of the map: http:-
//www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/fra/dyn/controller/mapRoadMapDisplay;jsessionid=0000E25BI2S1ZJQ3R-
1WSDBYZM5I+ucpku3iu?direction=5&pageOrigin=300&rndId=ad8d734a&rnd=1052601667841

Good luck

Jacques

Michel, Mike, Jaques: THANK YOU :) You've been a great help. -Z-

Status
Not open for further replies.