Planning a trip

Gingerblokey

Guest
Im planning to do a sponsered cycle ride from Great Yarmouth to
Yarmouth on the IOW. It is very much in the planning stage at the
moment.

Im 16 and not particually healthy although I am a very experienced
cyclist. I was planning on doing between 25-30 miles a day on both
minor A roads and smaller roads. I will be going one way there and
getting the train back and I was just looking for some advice on how
to get cheap accomidation, which roads to cycle on, what I need to
take and just some general advice on long-distance trips.

In article <[email protected]>,
Gingerblokey <[email protected]> writes:
|> Im planning to do a sponsered cycle ride from Great Yarmouth to
|> Yarmouth on the IOW. It is very much in the planning stage at the
|> moment.
|>
|> Im 16 and not particually healthy although I am a very experienced
|> cyclist. I was planning on doing between 25-30 miles a day on both
|> minor A roads and smaller roads. I will be going one way there and
|> getting the train back and I was just looking for some advice on how
|> to get cheap accomidation, which roads to cycle on, what I need to
|> take and just some general advice on long-distance trips.

I did Salisbury to Helston when I was 16, but that was in 1963.
You can camp, but it's a pain. Otherwise bed and breakfasts and
youth hostels.

Take a fairly complete collection of spares and tools; it is a real
time-waster to have to find a bicycle shop that stocks what you need.
This need not be very bulky, but should be more than the usual
collection. E.g. be able to tighten ANY joint on the bicycle, and
carry things like a spare inner and rim tape as well as spokes,
cables, brake pads (if you use them) and repair kit.

But don't forget repair kit for your clothing etc. (e.g. needles and
threads, string, safety pins) and yourself (plasters etc.) Nothing
major, but your fly zip may choose that time to break, which is
embarrassing without safety pins :)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

"Nick Maclaren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Take a fairly complete collection of spares and tools; it is a real
> time-waster to have to find a bicycle shop that stocks what you need.

Probably a good idea to find out where bike shops are along your route as
well, just in case.
--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

"Gingerblokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Im planning to do a sponsered cycle ride from Great Yarmouth to
> Yarmouth on the IOW. It is very much in the planning stage at the
> moment.
>
> Im 16 and not particually healthy although I am a very experienced
> cyclist. I was planning on doing between 25-30 miles a day on both
> minor A roads and smaller roads. I will be going one way there and
> getting the train back and I was just looking for some advice on how
> to get cheap accomidation, which roads to cycle on, what I need to
> take and just some general advice on long-distance trips.

Sorry, but what is IOW?

If you go camping, be prepared for the extra weight!- it mounts up but if
the weather is good its very rewarding.

To carry milk/ butter (meat if you are brave), wrap them in a wet T towel
and strap them to a pannier, if you keep them moist throughout the day the
wind will help to keep them cool.

If you havent allready come accross them, try uing Ordanance Survey maps -
they have a variety of scales, but I find the 1:50000 (pink ones) the best
for finding niice roads and tracks.
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ & to buy them
http://www.aqua3.com/ have some good offers sometimes.

Enjoy it!

Colin

Hake wrote:
> "Gingerblokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Im planning to do a sponsered cycle ride from Great Yarmouth to
>> Yarmouth on the IOW. It is very much in the planning stage at the
>> moment.
>>
>> Im 16 and not particually healthy although I am a very experienced
>> cyclist. I was planning on doing between 25-30 miles a day on both
>> minor A roads and smaller roads. I will be going one way there and
>> getting the train back and I was just looking for some advice on how
>> to get cheap accomidation, which roads to cycle on, what I need to
>> take and just some general advice on long-distance trips.
>>

> Sorry, but what is IOW?

Isle of Wight

Is OP is Cycling to Lymington - then just getting the ferry to Yarmouth ?
Or are you cycling to Southampton ( Cowes ferry) or Portsmouth ( Ryde or
Fishbourne) ? The various options will alter your mainland route
considerably.

Jan

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hake wrote:
>> "Gingerblokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Im planning to do a sponsered cycle ride from Great Yarmouth to
>>> Yarmouth on the IOW. It is very much in the planning stage at the
>>> moment.
>>>
>>> Im 16 and not particually healthy although I am a very experienced
>>> cyclist. I was planning on doing between 25-30 miles a day on both
>>> minor A roads and smaller roads. I will be going one way there and
>>> getting the train back and I was just looking for some advice on how
>>> to get cheap accomidation, which roads to cycle on, what I need to
>>> take and just some general advice on long-distance trips.
>>>

>> Sorry, but what is IOW?

> Isle of Wight

Thanks :)

in message <[email protected]>, Nick Maclaren
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Gingerblokey <[email protected]> writes:
> |> Im planning to do a sponsered cycle ride from Great Yarmouth to
> |> Yarmouth on the IOW. It is very much in the planning stage at the
> |> moment.
> |>
> |> Im 16 and not particually healthy although I am a very experienced
> |> cyclist. I was planning on doing between 25-30 miles a day on both
> |> minor A roads and smaller roads. I will be going one way there and
> |> getting the train back and I was just looking for some advice on how
> |> to get cheap accomidation, which roads to cycle on, what I need to
> |> take and just some general advice on long-distance trips.
>
> I did Salisbury to Helston when I was 16, but that was in 1963.
> You can camp, but it's a pain. Otherwise bed and breakfasts and
> youth hostels.

I did Edinburgh to Cheltenham at 17 (1973), staying mostly at youth hostels
or with friends. I took a sleeping bag but no tent. I was averaging 60
miles per day - did one 110 mile day but it was too tough. 60 miles per
day was fine. Like the OP I was not particularly healthy and certainly not
very strong.

Try to keep the total weight of your luggage as small as possible - I took
all mine in a saddle bag, but saddle bags were larger in those days!

Since then I've done quite a lot of long distance cycling with a lot of
gear - mostly doing academic fieldwork - and used a trailer. If you /have/
to carry a lot of gear, in my opinion a trailer is vastly preferable to
panniers.

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock

Tom Crispin wrote:
> ITYM Isle of White.
>
> www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007180370,00.html
>
> Selling now on e-bay for £240.

They'll be worth more than that if the island doesn't show up again. I
heard it had gone missing:
<http://newsbiscuit.com/article/government-admit-to-losing-the-isle-of-wight-082>

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

Roos Eisma wrote on 11/05/2007 08:06 +0100:
> Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Tom Crispin wrote:
>>> ITYM Isle of White.
>>>
>>> www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007180370,00.html
>>>
>>> Selling now on e-bay for £240.

>> They'll be worth more than that if the island doesn't show up
>> again. I heard it had gone missing:
>> <http://newsbiscuit.com/article/government-admit-to-losing-the-isle-of-wight-082>
>>

> Maybe it drifted (and expanded)?:
>
> http://www.bergonia.org/index.html
>
> Roos

I think the clue is in the local saying that the IoW is ten miles and a
century away from the mainland. Cue Dr Who ....

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Gingerblokey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Im planning to do a sponsered cycle ride from Great Yarmouth to
> Yarmouth on the IOW. It is very much in the planning stage at the
> moment.
>
> Im 16 and not particually healthy although I am a very experienced
> cyclist. I was planning on doing between 25-30 miles a day on both
> minor A roads and smaller roads. I will be going one way there and
> getting the train back and I was just looking for some advice on how
> to get cheap accomidation, which roads to cycle on, what I need to
> take and just some general advice on long-distance trips.

As an averagely fit 16 year old, I and a few friends cycled 250 or so
miles around Snowdonia in four or five days. We camped and cooked for
ourselves.

I would guess that you would be able to average at least 60 miles a day
as there aren't many mountains to climb between Great and lesser
Yarmouth. If you want cheap accommodation then camping will probably be
the best option, so long as you are willing to carry a tent and other
equipment.

On the other hand, try youth hostels. Take water proofs and comfortable
clothing. Personally, I would do the whole thing in lycra. When
conquering Snowdonia for the Queen's Scout Award we did it in jeans.

What's the furthest you have ever cycled in one day?

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United

In article <[email protected]>,
Gingerblokey
[email protected] says...
> Im planning to do a sponsered cycle ride from Great Yarmouth to
> Yarmouth on the IOW. It is very much in the planning stage at the
> moment.
>
> Im 16 and not particually healthy although I am a very experienced
> cyclist. I was planning on doing between 25-30 miles a day

That sounds like a very low daily mileage, even loaded with camping
gear.

On May 14, 11:12 am, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Gingerblokey
> [email protected] says...
>
> > Im planning to do a sponsered cycle ride from Great Yarmouth to
> > Yarmouth on the IOW. It is very much in the planning stage at the
> > moment.

> > Im 16 and not particually healthy although I am a very experienced
> > cyclist. I was planning on doing between 25-30 miles a day

> That sounds like a very low daily mileage, even loaded with camping
> gear.

It sounds more like the daily mileage for doing it on foot. However,
he did say he was not particularly healthy. If that means he actually
has a health problem as opposed to just not being very fit then that
might explain the moderate ambition.

--
Dave...