planning for a unicycle

himmhui

Guest
i am a roadbiker and mountain biker from Hong Kong,currently moved to
usa, looking for something new, i think a will buy a unicycle, it is
really really awesome, i hope someone can help me out because i still
know nothing of unicycle. after i read some posts, i know it is the
time to find the answer of some confusing

i am 5'6", what size should i get? 20"/24"(i think i am getting 20",
let me know if i am wrong)

also, , how can i know the length of the crank, i mean how can i know
if it is fit on me....i am using 170 in MTB.

should i get freestyle first?

ok, THis one is Very IMPORTANT, will i get hurt, break my bone easily
from unicycle??

is there any meeting in Los Angeles or around that i can know more
about it?or can someone let me try it because the bike shop says it is
too dangerous to let me have a test ride.

lastly, anyone wanna sell their unicycle? since this will be my first
unicycle, i know i will fall a lot, i dont want to get a brand new bike
and destroy it. also , i am just 16, work once a week ,dont wanna spend
too much on it for the beginning.

THANKS ALOT.

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

breaking bones is hard to do unless your going down a steep muni
trail...
crank length for bikes is different than what you would get for a
unicycle, i fit 175s for a MTB...so for a unicycle if u get a 24" u
want 150s or whatever feels best..

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
http://www.usenet.com

which one should i choose 20" or 24" ??
still confused...:(

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

if you want to do tricks and drops and gaps get 20" if you want to do
Muni(mountain unicycling) or just light commuting get a 24"

--
Det-riot

Ducttape wrote:
> sounds like he toook a feild trip to jail.... DON'T DROP THE SOAP
> DUDE!!!

KOXX-ONE* DOES NOT* SUCK!!!!
'MRIS!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2486qk)
'1000th Post' (http://tinyurl.com/33shzt)
http://www.usenet.com

oh i see..
so, if i get a 20"
should i get a pair of short crank(150s) or long one(170s)
or between, can someone teach me how to calculate it, please...

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

its personal preference. i would go with between 145 and 110 for a 20"
though.

--
Det-riot

Ducttape wrote:
> sounds like he toook a feild trip to jail.... DON'T DROP THE SOAP
> DUDE!!!

KOXX-ONE* DOES NOT* SUCK!!!!
'MRIS!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2486qk)
'1000th Post' (http://tinyurl.com/33shzt)
http://www.usenet.com

oh, thanks, i was know it will be that short
if i go 145 , that will be easier to control than 110?

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

Yes. Longer cranks are useful for trials, hopping, etc., while shorter
cranks are more appropriate for freestyle and other flatland tricks.

--
onelesscar

"my bounty is as boundless as the sea
my love as deep
the more i give to thee the more i have
for both are endless"
http://www.usenet.com

thanks again,do u mind if i ask some more question because i just moved
here and i suck in english.

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

i am taking a look of some brand
but where can i see the $$$

the QU-AX
something like the LX DX KH20

also,

is the Dimension good??

http://tinyurl.com/yvpqjk

the 20" one in the middle
is it good?

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

no, it would be fine for just learning, but for anything serious it'll
break.

--
kerosian

I used to get high on life, until I built up a tolerance, so now I
unicycle.
Yay! Pamba Mountain b*ke race July 22nd, wish me luck!
http://www.usenet.com

so, what kind of brand do u recommened?

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

To see the prices for the various unicycles, you'll have to browse a
dealer's website such as 'unicycle.com' (http://www.unicycle.com).

For learning, I think many people would recommend a Torker LX.

--
onelesscar

"my bounty is as boundless as the sea
my love as deep
the more i give to thee the more i have
for both are endless"
http://www.usenet.com

oh, i browsed this one already
do you have any other recommend website
and thank you again.

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

i am looking for something less than $100
will i be able to find them...

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

himmhui wrote:

> also,
>

> is the Dimension good??
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yvpqjk
>
> the 20" one in the middle
> is it good?

The 20 will be a little easier to learn on, do tricks, and light
trials, but a bit slow and doesn't roll over bumps as well.
The 24 rolls over bumps easier, it's faster, but a bit harder to learn
on, do tricks, and falling is a little more scarry (for me anyways).

When learning wear a helmet, wrist guards, and knee pads (I ALWAYS wear
the first two. Find a long rail, fence or wall. A rail between waist
and chest height is ideal, and don't let yourself fall w/o holding onto
the rail. When you can semi consistently ride the full length,
practice dismounting at a specific spot the uni in front of you and
alternately w/ each foot.
The 20" looks like a decent learner and freestlyle, but the rounded
crown will make it harder to do feet on fram tricks (some grip tape
will help)

The 24 looks like a really good deal for light Muni. Try to find out
if the frame will fit a 24X3" tire. If so, it may be worthwhile to
upgrade the parts as you get better.

Also how much do you weigh? If its much over 160 lbs It probablly won't
be too long before you start breaking cranks and hubs (which can be
upgraded to stronger cotterless ones or even splinned)

--
skilewis74
http://www.usenet.com

himmhui wrote:
> i am looking for something less than $100
> will i be able to find them...

If that is your limit you can't get much better than that. You may
also want to look at a Torker LX on e-bay.

NO DROPS or any of these will break pretty quikly.

If you wan't bomproof at a cheep price Get a Torker DX on e-bay. A bit
heavy, but cheap. $220 - $240 depending if you get a 20 or 24.

--
skilewis74
http://www.usenet.com

your informations really helps me a lot
believe it or not, i am around 100lbs
because i am a distance runner

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com

maybe i will raise my limit
but this will be my first unicycle
i dont want to put too much$$ on it before i learn it
u see what i am saying?

--
himmhui
http://www.usenet.com