Planning Long Distance Bike Trip

paintballbudd

Guest
hey everyone... i'm plannin a bike trip from d.c to hilton head, sc
this fall. prob im havin is all the mapping programs are designed for
auto, not bike. i want to avoid all major highways. i want to plan
route along scenic roads, and have planned rest stops along the way.

the best app i got to do the job now is old versions of delorme street
atlas usa (8.0). but im sure you guys can help me out finding
additional resources to plan this thing.

also, this will be my longest bike trip by about 2x. distance on
highways is about 1,200mi round trip. i dont want to go over 1,500
avoiding highways. i am currently planning on taking very little
supplies with me, and just buying supplies (food, clothing, etc) along
the way. if i camp, it will be without a tent, with a light compact
sleeping bag.

any suggestions you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated.
btw, i'll prob be doing this solo for 3/4 the distance. i'll be
meeting up with my bro in n.c. thanx for the help :)

-john

[email protected]

John
Have you a rough draft of a planned route yet?
remember the the flying biting bugs at night. sleep is important so carry
some bug repelent. Stay in touch so everyone can enjoy the ride also
in case your looking to start a free online journal for your trip visit my
website at www.bicyclejournals.net

Jean Andre Vallery
Sarasota Florida
www.bicyclemessenger.com

"paintballbudd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hey everyone... i'm plannin a bike trip from d.c to hilton head, sc
> this fall. prob im havin is all the mapping programs are designed for
> auto, not bike. i want to avoid all major highways. i want to plan
> route along scenic roads, and have planned rest stops along the way.
>
> the best app i got to do the job now is old versions of delorme street
> atlas usa (8.0). but im sure you guys can help me out finding
> additional resources to plan this thing.
>
> also, this will be my longest bike trip by about 2x. distance on
> highways is about 1,200mi round trip. i dont want to go over 1,500
> avoiding highways. i am currently planning on taking very little
> supplies with me, and just buying supplies (food, clothing, etc) along
> the way. if i camp, it will be without a tent, with a light compact
> sleeping bag.
>
> any suggestions you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated.
> btw, i'll prob be doing this solo for 3/4 the distance. i'll be
> meeting up with my bro in n.c. thanx for the help :)
>
> -john
>
> [email protected]

ya cool. i'll add that to my list of todo's for the trip. ya, i'll
have sub-notebook with evdo wirless net access the whole time, with a
streaming video link to helmet mounted webcam ;) im a uber net freak,
big into online gaming groups (leader of a really cool one infact...)
http://www.migcrew.org i gotta stay in touch with these guys on my
long bike trips.

im planning on a cross country ride next year with a co-worker. super
cool of u guys to point me in direction to cool ass **** to prep for
this stuff ;)

-moto out