Plans for homemade bike parking racks?

Anyone have ideas or advice on how to make some
homemade bike parking racks?

This is for a small town on a tight budget. So making
them out of cheap materials is a must. And making them
out of materials normally thrown away or recycled is
better.

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:29:04 -0500, me wrote:

> Anyone have ideas or advice on how to make some homemade bike parking
> racks?
>
> This is for a small town on a tight budget. So making them out of cheap
> materials is a must. And making them out of materials normally thrown
> away or recycled is better.

"Sheffield stands" are what you need. Google will find you a variety
of pictures, and there is a formal specification here:
http://www.nationalcyclingstrategy.org.uk/vbulletin229/upload/showthread.php?t=29

Mike

>"Sheffield stands" are what you need. Google will find you a variety
>of pictures, and there is a formal specification here:

It also appears that these type of stand don't support
the bike well?

I mean...... doesn't the bike just lean up against the
stand?

Please bear with dumb questions.... trying to learn
something here

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:54:48 -0500, me wrote:

> It also appears that these type of stand don't support the bike well?
>
> I mean...... doesn't the bike just lean up against the stand?

Yes, and your lock stops it falling over.

> But it appears these types of stand need to be anchored into concrete.
> Yes?

Not necessarily, they can also be bolted down if the leg ends in a plate.
Less security, but maybe you have a low threat area to put them in.

> I'm thinking we want something movable in case sidewalk need cleaned or
> space reclaimed for special function

Fine, bolt them down then. They will be slightly more complicated but
still something that can be done with a stick-welder.

Mike

<[email protected]> wrote: (clip) So making them out of cheap materials is a
must. And making them out of materials normally thrown away or recycled is
better.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A recycling facility in Berkeley, CA has a row of racks that are made out of
old bike frames. They do need to be bolted down. I could get you the name
of the make--its a "green" outfit in New Zealand, I think.

If you drive threaded shells into the concrete to hold the bolts, it would
be very easy to unbolt them if necessary.

>Anyone have ideas or advice on how to make some
>homemade bike parking racks?

The "inverted U" or "A" rack is similar to "Sheffield stands" and
simply made of bent pipe. It seems to be the best and simplest
alternative. They can be joined to rails if you don't want them sunk
into concrete: www.dero.com/hoop_rack.html. It looks like the easist
thing to make too. Have you taken a look at manufactured stands for
ideas? Coating them with plastic or rubber would be a nice plus for
bikers.

www.dero.com/products.html
www.creativepipe.com/bike_racks.htm
www.bikeup.com
www.theparkcatalog.com/bikerack1.html

Also look at what other places say about what makes a good rack. I
generally agree with what is written here:
www.bike-pgh.org/pdf/pgh-bikeracks.pdf
www.trans.ci.portland.or.us/bicycles/parkguide.htm
www.bicyclinginfo.org/pdf/bikepark.pdf

>> I mean...... doesn't the bike just lean up against the stand?

>Yes, and your lock stops it falling over.

I see. So these rack are made to be used with a lock
then, right?

What if no one locks the bikes? Will they still stand
up?

This will be for a small town where bike theft isn't a
big problem. Hence the questions abt a rack with no
locks used.

>A recycling facility in Berkeley, CA has a row of racks that are made out of
>old bike frames. They do need to be bolted down. I could get you the name
>of the make--its a "green" outfit in New Zealand, I think.

Sure... please do if you don't mind!

>If you drive threaded shells into the concrete to hold the bolts, it would
>be very easy to unbolt them if necessary.

yeah.... that's a viable option. Bolt them down but
could remove if needed.

>The "inverted U" or "A" rack is similar to "Sheffield stands" and
>simply made of bent pipe. It seems to be the best and simplest
>alternative. They can be joined to rails if you don't want them sunk
>into concrete: www.dero.com/hoop_rack.html. It looks like the easist
>thing to make too. Have you taken a look at manufactured stands for
>ideas? Coating them with plastic or rubber would be a nice plus for
>bikers.

yeah I like the above in that they are mechanically the
simplest no doubt

But they rely on the bike "leaning" against the rack
for it to stand up. And I'm not sure people would want
an expensive bike rubbing itself against the metal....
even if it is coated. Just not sure

I was thinking more along the lines of those racks that
cradle the front wheel between two hoops of metal...
and hold the bike upright that way. But they are more
complex to build.

Another idea I had was some kind of rack that held bike
upright by hanging from the handlebars. IOW... front
wheel just slightly suspended via handlebars.

What ab that style?

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:19:53 -0500, me wrote:

>>> I mean...... doesn't the bike just lean up against the stand?

>>Yes, and your lock stops it falling over.

> I see. So these rack are made to be used with a lock then, right?

I'd hate to see a rack that _wasn't_ made to be used with a lock! Oh hang
on, I have, its brand name is "Pedalo", it's **** because many locks won't
go through the little hole provided, and the rubber clamp doesn't fit
_any_ of my bikes.

> What if no one locks the bikes? Will they still stand up?

Does your bike still stand up if you lean it against the wall in your
garage? I've got 3 doing that right now. OK, one is leaning on the
workbench and another is leaning against a car, but they're versatile in
what they can lean on.

> This will be for a small town where bike theft isn't a big problem.
> Hence the questions abt a rack with no locks used.

I'd love to have a house with no locks, a car with no locks, even better a
bank with no locks and _then_ I could have a bicycle with no locks.

Although when I go to the local shop, there is a row of 3 Sheffield Stands
outside, I can see my bike from inside the shop, and it's a semi-rural
area, so I very rarely lock it. The bike is always where I left it when I
come out. Often with a couple of kids staring at it (none of my bikes
are conventional). People tie their dogs to the same stands, so there is
another social benefit (providing the dogs let you get your bike...)

Mike

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:32:38 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
>But they rely on the bike "leaning" against the rack
>for it to stand up. And I'm not sure people would want
>an expensive bike rubbing itself against the metal....
>even if it is coated. Just not sure
>
>I was thinking more along the lines of those racks that
>cradle the front wheel between two hoops of metal...
>and hold the bike upright that way. But they are more
>complex to build.

This style is out of favor, and rightly so, because it does NOT hold
the bike securely. Somebody walks by and bumps the bike ever so
slightly, and it falls over. If there's another bike next to it, it
goes down like a domino.

Any chance you'd reconsider the desire to have it removable? You
really do have a choice between security and mobility, and it's an
either-or kind of choice.

Pat

Email address works as is.

>This style is out of favor, and rightly so, because it does NOT hold
>the bike securely. Somebody walks by and bumps the bike ever so
>slightly, and it falls over. If there's another bike next to it, it
>goes down like a domino.

I see

So those kind of racks really don't "work" well then
huh?

>Any chance you'd reconsider the desire to have it removable? You
>really do have a choice between security and mobility, and it's an
>either-or kind of choice.

Well its not out of the question. Just brainstorming
here

>> What if no one locks the bikes? Will they still stand up?
>
>Does your bike still stand up if you lean it against the wall in your
>garage? I've got 3 doing that right now. OK, one is leaning on the
>workbench and another is leaning against a car, but they're versatile in
>what they can lean on.

OK

Sounds like the Sheffield design is the best one then
huh??

>I was thinking more along the lines of those racks that
>cradle the front wheel between two hoops of metal...

I think the current vogue is against holding a bicycle upright by
lateral loads on the wheel. These are called "wheelbenders" although I
have never had a bent wheel because of one. I suppose the current crop
of fancy wheels could be more suseptable to damage.

These racks are for a downtown, right? When I shop with my bike my
panniers are quite heavy (20-40 lbs each) and I would hate that load to
be transmitted as lateral forces to my wheel in a substandard rack. Let
the frame handle those loads. I don't mind leaning my bike if the rack
piping is covered in plastic or some such.

I don't know how you'd lock a rack that suspended by handlebars. Most
folks lock the frame at least but like doing a wheel (preferably the
rear wheel) too.

..Leo wrote:(clip) I could get you the name
of the make--its a "green" outfit in New Zealand, I think.
>Me wrote: Sure... please do if you don't mind!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I went down to Urban Ore and got the info: www.greenbikes.org.nz
I went to the website, and evidently their main activity is repairing and
recycling donated bikes, and making them available to the public at no
charge. Unfortunately I could not find anything on the site about this
clever bike rack, so I will describe it.

From a standard diamond frame, cut off the rear triangle--seatpost,
seatstays and chainstays. Lay the seatpost on the ground, with the rear
dropouts uppermost. Create a couple of outriggers to hold it vertical, and
bolt it down. The front wheel of a bike can be inserted between the two
triangles, and it stands.

For your purpose, I would suggest placing a row of these triangles about a
foot apart, and welding spacers between them, so you end up with a rack that
is self-supporting and movable. The spacers could be cut from the top tubes
and downtubes, so you use just about the whole frame. I think this fits your
requirements 100% in terms of cost, movability and recycling.

I made a really cheap one with 2x4s from construction sites. I put two
long 2x4s parallel to each other 20 inches apart or so. Then, I scewed
two pieces of 2x4s, about 30 inches long, perpendicular to the long
2x4s, 3 inches apart (tire width apart). I kept spacing pairs of the
30 inch two by fours perpendicular to the longer 2x4s. Reinforced with
some additional wood all around. the bike wheel fits in between the two
pieces of 2x4s that are three inches apart. You can do this for
nothing. If this explanation is not clear, let me know and I try to
clarify.

Andres

>These racks are for a downtown, right? When I shop with my bike my
>panniers are quite heavy (20-40 lbs each) and I would hate that load to
>be transmitted as lateral forces to my wheel in a substandard rack. Let
>the frame handle those loads. I don't mind leaning my bike if the rack
>piping is covered in plastic or some such.

Ahh..... I see

I'm all clear now folks! Thanks so much for the help
as to why "wheel benders" do not make a good parking
rack!

>From a standard diamond frame, cut off the rear triangle--seatpost,
>seatstays and chainstays. Lay the seatpost on the ground, with the rear
>dropouts uppermost. Create a couple of outriggers to hold it vertical, and
>bolt it down. The front wheel of a bike can be inserted between the two
>triangles, and it stands.
>
>For your purpose, I would suggest placing a row of these triangles about a
>foot apart, and welding spacers between them, so you end up with a rack that
>is self-supporting and movable. The spacers could be cut from the top tubes
>and downtubes, so you use just about the whole frame. I think this fits your
>requirements 100% in terms of cost, movability and recycling.

The idea above is a good one

But I'm just now learning that the "wheel bender" type
of rack is not what's preferred.

I guess it outs too much stress on the front wheel...
especially if the bike is heavily loaded. No?