Plans For Next Year

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by ShopperBike, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. ShopperBike

    ShopperBike New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the cold,wind,rain etc.
    What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To Southend etc.
    I'm planning on both of the above (the first somewhat reluctantly as didn't enjoy this year's at all,too many people and too many idiots,but it's organised at work) plus the London to Cambridge,Norwich 100 and maybe London to Oxford which I've never done and understand is a cracking ride.

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    ShopperBike wrote:
    > Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
    > cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To Southend
    > etc. I'm planning on both of the above (the first somewhat reluctantly as didn't enjoy this year's
    > at all,too many people and too many idiots,but it's organised at work) plus the London to
    > Cambridge,Norwich 100 and maybe London to Oxford which I've never done and understand is a
    > cracking ride.

    I am planning Lands End To John O'Groats for next year.
    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  3. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
    > cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To Southend
    > etc. I'm planning on both of the above (the first somewhat reluctantly as didn't enjoy this year's
    > at all,too many people and too many idiots,but it's organised at work) plus the London to
    > Cambridge,Norwich 100 and maybe London to Oxford which I've never done and understand is a
    > cracking ride.

    I've got the Trans Penninine Trail (Southport to Hornsea), Pennine Cycle Trail (Derby to Berwick
    upon Tweed) and Lands End to John O Groats pencilled in for the coming year though I suspect that
    one of the first two may have to be dropped if my workload is higher than anticipated. Should be a
    wonderful experience.

    It's not too early to start planning. I've got a training routine under development, a database to
    monitor fitness and training part written, items placed on the Xmas 'wish list' maps and guide books
    to peruse and use for route planning. So much to do and so much time to do it in!

    Vernon

  4. Audax-y stuff Dunwich Dynamo Captain Cox's Recumbent Tour of Flanders The Old Crown Challenge (if it
    takes place following the 2003 drowning fiasco)

    Possibly European /World HPV championships. It would help if anyone knew where they're going to be
    held, mind.

    Win BHPC unfaired class (ho ho)

    Help Mr S Whittingham drink his prize money if he manages to lift the .deciMach prize at
    Battle Mountain,

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    ShopperBike <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
    : cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?

    La Marmotte. That's a good incentive to get out there. 170km in the alps.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  6. Martin

    Martin Guest

    ShopperBike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
    > cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To Southend
    > etc. I'm planning on both of the above (the first somewhat reluctantly as didn't enjoy this year's
    > at all,too many people and too many idiots,but it's organised at work) plus the London to
    > Cambridge,Norwich 100 and maybe London to Oxford which I've never done and understand is a
    > cracking ride.

    I would seriously consider the IOW randoneee, usually held on the Sunday of the first Bank hol
    weekend in May. free entry, free water,fantastic scenery, IMHO harder than all the London to's. see
    www.cycleisland.co.uk Martin

  7. Martin

    Martin Guest

    ShopperBike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
    > cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To Southend
    > etc. I'm planning on both of the above (the first somewhat reluctantly as didn't enjoy this year's
    > at all,too many people and too many idiots,but it's organised at work) plus the London to
    > Cambridge,Norwich 100 and maybe London to Oxford which I've never done and understand is a
    > cracking ride.

    The Norwich 100 was my first century. Highly recommended.

  8. Martin

    Martin Guest

    [email protected] (vernon levy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
    > > cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To
    > > Southend etc. I'm planning on both of the above (the first somewhat reluctantly as didn't enjoy
    > > this year's at all,too many people and too many idiots,but it's organised at work) plus the
    > > London to Cambridge,Norwich 100 and maybe London to Oxford which I've never done and understand
    > > is a cracking ride.
    > >
    > I've got the Trans Penninine Trail (Southport to Hornsea), Pennine Cycle Trail (Derby to Berwick
    > upon Tweed) and Lands End to John O Groats pencilled in for the coming year though I suspect that
    > one of the first two may have to be dropped if my workload is higher than anticipated. Should be a
    > wonderful experience.
    >
    > It's not too early to start planning. I've got a training routine under development, a database to
    > monitor fitness and training part written, items placed on the Xmas 'wish list' maps and guide
    > books to peruse and use for route planning. So much to do and so much time to do it in!
    >
    > Vernon

    and with another 4 years til PBP there are some nice Audaxes without having to worry about a
    qualifying SR series: the Dorset coast or maybe even the National 400?

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The Norwich 100 was my first century. Highly recommended.

    <old git> The first time I rode a century I didn't even know they were called that - the CTC went
    out for their Sunday run, and when we got back someone with one of those new-fangled computer things
    said "oh look, we've done over a hundred miles!"

    One of the group was on a fixie, which was entertaining going over Dunstable Downs. I didn't know
    you could ride a bicycle that slowly... </old git>

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  11. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

  12. wardie2000

    wardie2000 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2003
    Doing the raid Pyrenean next year, as a bit of training!

    Hoping the weather will be good. Any ideas what sort of time i should be aiming for?

  13. Iarocu

    Iarocu Guest

    ShopperBike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
    > cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To
    > Southend etc.
    snip More off road. Some of the big routes in the Highlands. Glen Tilt/Feshie. Maybe a highland off
    road (mainly) coast to coast. Also maybe try this Audax thing for a bit of variety. And looking for
    a second hand tandem to get my partener into cycling. She has a bike but is intimidated by motor
    vehicles to the extent she is reluctant to cycle much solo on road. Iain

  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Try some audax, and maybe a respectable 25 time.

    --
    Dave...

  15. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    > ShopperBike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
    > > cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To
    > > Southend etc.

    Likely to be an increase in audax rides, and the IOW randonee with possibly a ride up to the York
    Rally. There will be more rough camping and bivvying.

    Daughter wants me to do the LE2JoG again with her and there are some murmerings about wanting to
    ride to Ghana sometime (anyone done this?)

    There will definitely be more Brommie rides to the local shop for croissants and more Trice rides to
    Stockbridge for award winning sausages <licks lips>

    John B

  16. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    martin wrote:

    > the Dorset coast

    When is this one?

    TIA

    -- Simonb

  17. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > The Norwich 100 was my first century. Highly recommended.
    >
    > <old git> The first time I rode a century I didn't even know they were called that - the CTC went
    > out for their Sunday run, and when we got back someone with one of those new-fangled computer
    > things said "oh look, we've done over a hundred miles!"
    >
    > One of the group was on a fixie, which was entertaining going over Dunstable Downs. I didn't know
    > you could ride a bicycle that slowly...

    I'm surprised his legs didn't shear off coming back dwon!

    If there was such a thing as computer thingies on bikes we must be talking early 90's? my first 100
    was in 1992. I remember using one to pace myself; exactly 16.6 mph for the first 5 hrs.
    Unfortunately forgot I was in E Anglia and hit a nice headwind for the last 16.6 miles,lost about 20
    min, but did not know that they allowed 20 min leaway so still got the 6 hr certificate. Plus loads
    of chocolates/goodies. Do they still do that?

  18. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > martin wrote:
    >
    >> the Dorset coast
    >
    > When is this one?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > -- Simonb

    Got it. March 30th. Sorry. Google is my friend.

    Simonb

  19. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's this 'bent tour? Tell me more............please
    >
    > SW
    >

    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...
    > >
    > > > Dunwich Dynamo Captain Cox's Recumbent Tour of Flanders
    > >

    > > Dates, please?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Guy
    > > ===
    > >
    > > WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after
    posting.
    > > http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

    Sub 1 hour 25 mile TT.

    --
    Mark (MSA)
    This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of

  20. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simonb wrote:

    > Got it. March 30th. Sorry.