Plans For Next Year

Simonb wrote:

> > Got it. March 30th. Sorry.
>
> Nope that was last year. Oh dear.

Try April 18th

I hope to be riding it next year as well.

John B

JohnB wrote:

> Try April 18th
>

> I hope to be riding it next year as well.
>
> John B

I'll no doubt see you there then. I hail from Wareham, so I'll be able to catch up with old friends
that weekend, too.

Simonb

> plus the London to Cambridge,Norwich 100 and maybe London to Oxford which I've never done and
> understand is a cracking ride.

Speaking of Norwich...

Here's the text of an email I got advertising some early Norwich rides..

"BUG LOVES YOU

City College Norwich Bicycle User Group (BUG) Bike Rides - Saturday 14 February

· There’s a ride to suit all interests and abilities: short, long, road, mud. · As ever we’ll
have delicious grub in BUG HQ in Café Vert for fuelling up before, and warming up after the rides.
· All rides have café stops and are on traffic free lanes.

Love Bug 30km An amorous ride to Brooke Please use attached form to apply.

Audax Rides: Norfolk Hawker 50km Fly along river and Broad with T-stop in Brooke.

BUG’er Off-Road 65km MTB ride to Aylsham and Reepham.

Beach Buggy 100km Up to see the sea at Overstrand.

Our Lady Bug 150km A pilgrimage to Walsingham.

For the Audax rides click on the appropriate ride on this website to get an application form:
http://www.audax.uk.net/cal/index.htm"

Regarding the short ride - I've got the application form and am happy to email it to anyone who
requires it.

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

wardie2000 wrote:
> Doing the raid Pyrenean next year, as a bit of training!
>
> Hoping the weather will be good. Any ideas what sort of time i should be aiming for?

I attempted the Raid in August this year when they had record temperatures, too hot. Are you doing
the 100 ride ? Plan to use all this time. You think the last day will be easy but there are some
nasty little hills in the last 10km.

Enjoy it, the route is fantastic

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Dates, please?

>> Dunwich Dynamo

Saturday 31 July 2004.

>> Captain Cox's Recumbent Tour of Flanders

Captain Cox writes:

Proposal for a BHPC Social Tour in Flanders, Easter 2004 (& if no one else wants to go, I'll go
on my own!)

2004 being the year of 'significant' birthdays etc (and I know this affects not only yours truly so
stop forging those certificates) it has been unanimously decided (by moi) that the event should be
marked by a bicycle tour in regions where beer and chocolate are understood as proper and worthy
cultural events. And where the terrain is mostly flattish so their worth can be properly
investigated without undue ill-effects. And whose local governments have thoughtfully been
introducing considerable numbers of signposted cycle routes of late thus avoiding petrol & diesel
fumes when pedalling.

Current planning suggests suitable dates of 7th-15th April, i.e. over Easter weekend itself. (yes
this a week after the actual Tour of Flanders and the Tourist ride that covers the route, but I
can't see many people wanting to ride 255km including 19 cobbled hills in one day!) These are
negotiable.

The route will be from Zeebrugge or Ostend to Oudenaarde, thence to Kluisbergen, Geraardsbergen,
Dendermonde, Brugge and back to the ferry.

Staying a couple of nights each in Oudenaarde and Kluisbergen will enable those foolhardy enough to
take in some of the classic climbs of the Tour of Flanders as part of short half day loops with
plenty of chance to bottle out. Or just sit in bars and watch the scenery.

Accommodation will be at campsites. I am more than happy to arrange this for everyone, providing I
know in advance, so things can be booked. The Campsites in question also have Trekkenhuts - 4 berth,
short stay camping huts which work out at E30 per night. Very reasonable, but needing to be booked
in advance.

I have ridden most parts of the route planned previously, and stayed at the campsites, so it's not
just guesswork (for once).

Please get in touch if you're interested and I can get moving on booking camping etc. Depending
where everyone is coming from, it may make more sense jointly to catch a ferry to Ostend or to
Zeebrugge - anyone who knows about current ferries please get in touch!

I hope I won't be the only one out there. Hope to hear from you soon

Peter Cox Belmont Cottage, Church Road, Saughall, Chester, CH1 6EP [email protected]"

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

martin wrote:

> If there was such a thing as computer thingies on bikes we must be talking early 90's?

I remember seeing them in 1982. We had one fitted to the Windcheetah for the Round-Britain record in
'83. It died when asked to exceed 40 mph...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> JohnB wrote:
>
> > Try April 18th
> >

> > I hope to be riding it next year as well.
> >
> > John B
>
> I'll no doubt see you there then. I hail from Wareham, so I'll be able to catch up with old
> friends that weekend, too.
>
> Simonb

Hope so, I'll be riding a yellow Ribble (wasn't that a song from the 70's?) and wearing an AUK top
if sunny or a Nevis if not.Don't know the route but have heard it is fearsome, the sort of ride you
should make riders who complain that Audax is a soft option ride.

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> martin wrote:
>
> > If there was such a thing as computer thingies on bikes we must be talking early 90's?
>
> I remember seeing them in 1982. We had one fitted to the Windcheetah for the Round-Britain record
> in '83. It died when asked to exceed 40 mph...

That would also apply to the rider in my case!

1982 eh? I stand corrected. I thought they were still selling those funny mechanical ones in those
days. Remember you had to buy a different one for each wheel diameter. But no batteries. They
probably went out at the same time they stopped fitting brackets for front lights to the RH fork to
fit your trusty Ever Ready Front Guard or cheapo Pifco copy to. Off on a nostalgia trip now,
remember the rear lights which were

unheard of.

martin wrote:

> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...
> > martin wrote:
> >
> > > If there was such a thing as computer thingies on bikes we must be talking early 90's?
> >
> > I remember seeing them in 1982. We had one fitted to the Windcheetah for the Round-Britain
> > record in '83. It died when asked to exceed 40 mph...
>
> That would also apply to the rider in my case!
>
> They probably went out at the same time they stopped fitting brackets for front lights to the RH
> fork to fit your trusty Ever Ready Front Guard or cheapo Pifco copy to.

Remember them well. For my first custom build (a Jack Hearne - whatever happenned to him?) I had a
bracket brazed to both forks to cater for the numerous continental excursions being made at the
time. Was I proud of them ;-)

John B

JohnB wrote:

> Remember them well. For my first custom build (a Jack Hearne - whatever happenned to him?) I had a
> bracket brazed to both forks to cater for the numerous continental excursions being made at the
> time. Was I proud of them ;-)

Until one day you opened the battery compartment to find the battery had leaked and corroded
everything. Those were the days ;-)

Tony

On 2003-12-18 04:21 +0000, ShopperBike wrote:
> Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
> cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To Southend
> etc. I'm planning on both of the above (the first somewhat reluctantly as didn't enjoy this year's
> at all,too many people and too many idiots,but it's organised at work) plus the London to
> Cambridge,Norwich 100 and maybe London to Oxford which I've never done and understand is a
> cracking ride.

London to Oxford for me. I've seen it go past once, and it looked like fun. Sadly I was too busy
watching people dressed in period clothing taking fast corners on penny-farthings[1] down near
Barton that day to take part. It has the advantage that I can sidle off home for a cup of tea
afterwards too.

[1] This is quite impressive to watch around the outside of a sharpish downhill bend.

--
Andrew Chadwick You never hear a Cricket crowd chanting "who's the ******* in the hat?"

Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 2003-12-18 04:21 +0000, ShopperBike wrote:
> > Bit early I know but you've got to have something to aim at during those rides in the
> > cold,wind,rain etc. What are you planning to ride next year?,London to Brighton,London To
> > Southend etc. I'm planning on both of the above (the first somewhat reluctantly as didn't enjoy
> > this year's at all,too many people and too many idiots,but it's organised at work) plus the
> > London to Cambridge,Norwich 100 and maybe London to Oxford which I've never done and understand
> > is a cracking ride.
>
> London to Oxford for me. I've seen it go past once, and it looked like fun. Sadly I was too busy
> watching people dressed in period clothing taking fast corners on penny-farthings[1] down near
> Barton that day to take part. It has the advantage that I can sidle off home for a cup of tea
> afterwards too.
>

> [1] This is quite impressive to watch around the outside of a sharpish downhill bend.

IMHO L2O is the best of the London to's. I think they have taken Wooburn Green (>>> on map) out of
the route but still got the nice (on a non rainy day at least) woody bit coming up to Christmas
Common. Getting bike back to London a bit shambolic but does not sound like you will need to worry
about that. Go for it ;-)

Tony Raven wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
> >
> > Remember them well. For my first custom build (a Jack Hearne - whatever happenned to him?) I had
> > a bracket brazed to both forks to cater for the numerous continental excursions being made at
> > the time. Was I proud of them ;-)
> >

> Until one day you opened the battery compartment to find the battery had leaked and corroded
> everything. Those were the days ;-)

It happenned every October when the clocks changed :-(

Today I saw some battery lights in Wilkinsons that used IIRC R20 batteries (are these the same as
U2s?) that looked like lights that used to suffer with leaking batteries. Only £3.99 each including
two batteries tho'.

Looked tremendous value.

John B

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
> > JohnB wrote:
> > >
> > > Remember them well. For my first custom build (a Jack Hearne - whatever happenned to him?) I
> > > had a bracket brazed to both forks to cater for the numerous continental excursions being made
> > > at the time. Was I proud of them ;-)
> > >

> > Until one day you opened the battery compartment to find the battery had leaked and corroded
> > everything. Those were the days ;-)
>
> It happenned every October when the clocks changed :-(
>
> Today I saw some battery lights in Wilkinsons that used IIRC R20 batteries (are these the same as
> U2s?) that looked like lights that used to suffer with leaking batteries.

> Only £3.99 each including two batteries tho'.
>
> Looked tremendous value.
>
> John B

Should get you home at least! ;~)

Confession time: I have still got one of those Ever Ready lights with the integral clamp so you you
don't have to have a bracket on the bike, and I've done 2 400's and a 600 with it!! expensive in
batteries but effective.:-o

martin wrote:

> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...

>> I remember seeing them in 1982. We had one fitted to the Windcheetah for the Round-Britain record
>> in '83. It died when asked to exceed 40 mph...
>
> That would also apply to the rider in my case!

We had hills in them days...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/