General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Plantar Fasciitis

Started by Roy · · Last activity · 4 posts · 238 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 May 2007
Last activity
17 May 2007
Original author
Roy
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
238
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. After 13+ years of running, I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. I
    have considerable pain in my right heel when I step out of bed but goes away
    after a few hours. The podiatrist said that it was probably triggered by me
    running a 10K which had a lot of hills in its route. My question is, is
    this condition curable? Am I going to have this condition again in the
    future or what? The podiatrist suggested to stop running, stretching, RICE,
    and rest. She also prescribed me NALFON 200. Any previous experience with
    this drug? I am also wearing the Strassburg Sock which provides some relief
    after I sleep all night. The main reason I run is for weight control, I
    alternate road biking when I don't run. I usually run about 3-7 miles 3 or
    4 times a week. Anybody in this newsgroup that has had this condition
    before? And if so what helped you eliminate it? How long did you stop
    running? How long did it take for the pain to go away completely? Did you
    lose any or all of your endurance during your down time? Any help/advice
    would help me cope with this nagging condition which is depressing me as I
    type. Thanks.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, rdf23_75
    @yahoo.com says...

    Quoted message said:

    After 13+ years of running, I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. I
    have considerable pain in my right heel when I step out of bed but goes away
    after a few hours. The podiatrist said that it was probably triggered by me
    running a 10K which had a lot of hills in its route. My question is, is
    this condition curable? Am I going to have this condition again in the
    future or what? The podiatrist suggested to stop running, stretching, RICE,
    and rest. She also prescribed me NALFON 200. Any previous experience with
    this drug? I am also wearing the Strassburg Sock which provides some relief
    after I sleep all night. The main reason I run is for weight control, I
    alternate road biking when I don't run. I usually run about 3-7 miles 3 or
    4 times a week. Anybody in this newsgroup that has had this condition
    before? And if so what helped you eliminate it? How long did you stop
    running? How long did it take for the pain to go away completely? Did you
    lose any or all of your endurance during your down time? Any help/advice
    would help me cope with this nagging condition which is depressing me as I
    type. Thanks.


    I posted this a few days ago. It seems to help, but I think what
    helps more is massaging the bottom of my foot on the edge of a
    carpeted stair. The condition is curable for most people, but it
    can take awhile in some cases.

    S.

    http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-
    plantar13nov13,1,5726009.story?ctrack=3&cset=true

  3. Roy said:

    After 13+ years of running, I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. I
    have considerable pain in my right heel when I step out of bed but goes away
    after a few hours. The podiatrist said that it was probably triggered by me
    running a 10K which had a lot of hills in its route. My question is, is
    this condition curable? Am I going to have this condition again in the
    future or what? The podiatrist suggested to stop running, stretching, RICE,
    and rest. She also prescribed me NALFON 200. Any previous experience with
    this drug? I am also wearing the Strassburg Sock which provides some relief
    after I sleep all night. The main reason I run is for weight control, I
    alternate road biking when I don't run. I usually run about 3-7 miles 3 or
    4 times a week. Anybody in this newsgroup that has had this condition
    before? And if so what helped you eliminate it? How long did you stop
    running? How long did it take for the pain to go away completely? Did you
    lose any or all of your endurance during your down time? Any help/advice
    would help me cope with this nagging condition which is depressing me as I
    type. Thanks.

    I had a bout of that, the podiatrist suggested stretches (sort of the
    standing pushup type that stretches the calfs) and ibuprofen. He also
    recommended a Spenco Triathalon insole. It seems to have been cured
    since it hasn't bothered me in years. I know a runner who's had
    trouble with it for a real long time and has tried all sorts of things
    and it just won't go away. I guess each case is differant.

    Eric

  4. "Roy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    After 13+ years of running, I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis.
    I have considerable pain in my right heel when I step out of bed but goes
    away after a few hours. The podiatrist said that it was probably triggered
    by me running a 10K which had a lot of hills in its route. My question
    is, is this condition curable? Am I going to have this condition again in
    the future or what? The podiatrist suggested to stop running, stretching,
    RICE, and rest. She also prescribed me NALFON 200. Any previous experience
    with this drug? I am also wearing the Strassburg Sock which provides some
    relief after I sleep all night. The main reason I run is for weight
    control, I alternate road biking when I don't run. I usually run about
    3-7 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Anybody in this newsgroup that has had
    this condition before? And if so what helped you eliminate it? How long
    did you stop running? How long did it take for the pain to go away
    completely? Did you lose any or all of your endurance during your down
    time? Any help/advice would help me cope with this nagging condition
    which is depressing me as I type. Thanks.

    Yeah its definitely curable, but only if you treat it and let it heal.

    I tore both plantar tendons and mistreated them for a year or so - it cost
    me 2 years of mountaineering.

    Ibuprofin, ice it, stretch before walking on it, and give it some time.
    Don't run unless its your career or something - ride a bike instead.

    My doc recommended using a bag of frozen peas as an ice pack - they stay
    cold but not long enough to give you frostbite, they conform to the contours
    of your foot, and they are cheaper than dirt. Wear SuperFeet in your normal
    shoes and it will heal up that much faster. I pronate on my right foot
    badly, and the superfeet helped me correct it to some degree and ended the
    aggrevation the pronation caused the tendon tear.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.