plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bob, Mar 5, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot of
    riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.

    The shoes are old but fine.

    -Bob

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I've had pf on and off for a few years. I don't think it has anything to do with riding, though.
    Riding is about the only thing I CAN do without foot pain.

    Steve "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot of
    > riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.
    >
    > The shoes are old but fine.
    >
    > -Bob

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Do you have shoes with stiff soles? If not, it can be caused by riding. However, it's usually caused
    by walking with shoes with inadequate arch support.

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot of
    > riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.
    >
    > The shoes are old but fine.
    >
    > -Bob

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do you have shoes with stiff soles? If not, it can be caused by riding. However, it's usually
    > caused by walking with shoes with inadequate arch support.
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
    >

    > "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot
    > > of riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.
    > >
    > > The shoes are old but fine.
    > >
    > > -Bob

    Yeah, they are pretty stiff alright. Think I will have to take a few off and heel.....:)

  5. Alpamsfq

    Alpamsfq Guest

    Bob <[email protected]> wrote...
    > Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot of
    > riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.
    >
    > The shoes are old but fine.
    >
    > -Bob

    hey bob... i had this problem about a year ago... right after i quit riding (you shouldn't ride on
    ice at night... may lead to injuries and repairs)... and i don't know about anyone else... but when
    i had it there were times when i couldn't stand up... so it's not a minor problem that'll just go
    away in a day or two

    basically it's an arch support problem... either get some good shoes or try those dr. scholls insole
    things... worked for me

    it helped to wear shoes as much as possible... since you don't get any support in bare feet

    especially look at hiking shoes or something similar... the pair i have right now kicks ass...
    literally... they're steel toe/plate

    and if that doesn't help after a month or two... see a chiropractor... if you can still walk

    --
    chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.

  6. Steve Petree

    Steve Petree Guest

    I didn't get the inflamation from riding, but from bad shoes. I saw my doctor, and he recommended a
    daily message with a tennis ball, or some such, which didn't work. My doctor injected the
    inflamation with cortisone, and that cleared the problem right up!

    I've known people to put up with the pain for years. About the only time mine didn't give me trouble
    was when I was on the bike, I even took to the bike, rather than walk.

    Bob wrote:

    >Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot of
    >riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.
    >
    >The shoes are old but fine.
    >
    >-Bob

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot of
    > riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.
    >
    > The shoes are old but fine.
    >
    > -Bob

    I had it for about a year but it was not caused by riding. Depending on how severe it is, it can be
    debilitating and if you do not take care of it then it can get worse. I did a ton of research on my
    own to find a "cure". What worked for me was:

    1) Always wear shoes, even around the house. New Balance and Merrell were the best for me.
    2) Fill a 2 liter soda bottle with water and freeze it. Every night, or after any intensive
    activity, roll the frozen bottle under your foot from the toes to the heel for 20-30 minutes.
    3) Take ibuprofen every night before hitting the sack.
    4) Before getting out of bed in the morning, stretch your arch by pulling your toes up - use a
    towel or rope.

    There a lot of info about this on the net. There does not appear to be any magical cure. Mine went
    away after almost a year but I'd probably still have it if I did not take steps to allow it to heal.

  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot
    > > of riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.
    > >
    > > The shoes are old but fine.
    > >
    > > -Bob
    >
    > I had it for about a year but it was not caused by riding. Depending on how severe it is, it can
    > be debilitating and if you do not take care of it then it can get worse. I did a ton of research
    > on my own to find a "cure". What worked for me was:
    >
    > 1) Always wear shoes, even around the house. New Balance and Merrell were the best for me.
    > 2) Fill a 2 liter soda bottle with water and freeze it. Every night, or after any intensive
    > activity, roll the frozen bottle under your foot from the toes to the heel for 20-30 minutes.
    > 3) Take ibuprofen every night before hitting the sack.
    > 4) Before getting out of bed in the morning, stretch your arch by pulling your toes up - use a
    > towel or rope.
    >
    > There a lot of info about this on the net. There does not appear to be any magical cure. Mine
    > went away after almost a year but I'd probably still have it if I did not take steps to allow it
    > to heal.

    These are excellent tips and I appreciate the input. My experience also indicates that it came from
    other sports and not riding. The riding has been actually good for it.

    Stretching seems so strange for a foot, but that does seem to help as does the ice. The Liter bottle
    ice is a great suggestion.

    Thanks, Bob

  9. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot of
    >riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.

    I got it a couple of times jumping rope too much.

    The spiel I got from my doc was that the tendon that runs from the ball of the foot to the heel can
    only take so much and enough repititive stress makes it start to sort of fray and....bingo...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, this isn't about fascism. Anybody have a this problem from riding? I have been doing a lot of
    > riding this winter and never have I had the heel pain and arche problem.
    >
    > The shoes are old but fine.

    Heh - from the subject, I thought you were just using a silly way to say 'face plant' or
    summink.....

    Shaun aRe - Oh, well, there ya go then...

  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > Heh - from the subject, I thought you were just using a silly way to say 'face plant' or
    > summink.....
    >

    > Shaun aRe - Oh, well, there ya go then...

    Plant yer face in ice?

    -Bob

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Heh - from the subject, I thought you were just using a silly way to say 'face plant' or
    > > summink.....
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe - Oh, well, there ya go then...
    > >

    > Plant yer face in ice?
    >
    > -Bob

    Aye - moment preserved for posterity.

    Shaun aRe