plastic cleats?

10timesbetter

Oct 7, 2004
i finally got my new shoes and pedals, and i think they're great, but after my last set, which were spd, i'm kinda hesitant about my look cleats being plastic,
anyone ever had any problems with these cracking or breaking while you're riding? i'm good at breaking stuff, and the last thing i want is for that to snap while i'm riding,

That's never been a problem and I've been using them for 5 years.

You will find two small holes in the cleats. You can find them directly beneath the two bottom screw holes. Replace the cleats when the holes wear away.

blowin mud said:
That's never been a problem and I've been using them for 5 years.

You will find two small holes in the cleats. You can find them directly beneath the two bottom screw holes. Replace the cleats when the holes wear away.
Replace em then and you will be throwing money away. I ride mine till the back edge of the left one(clip out) wears away or stats breaking off from being worn too thin.Right one is usuallystill good,so I keep it as a spare when I put a new pair on.

10timesbetter said:
i finally got my new shoes and pedals, and i think they're great, but after my last set, which were spd, i'm kinda hesitant about my look cleats being plastic,
anyone ever had any problems with these cracking or breaking while you're riding? i'm good at breaking stuff, and the last thing i want is for that to snap while i'm riding,
Been using em for 10 years. No issues. Lance used em too among other pros. If you were going to worry about why buy em in the first place?

i bought all the stuff off ebay, i never knew they were plastic, normal riding seems fine, the only time i'd worry, is when i go to stop, since my bike's a fixed gear, sometimes i'll stop by just locking up the back wheel by not pedaling, but i'm sure after a few weeks i won't even think about it

Plastic's good...they wear out, you replace them. No big hearbreak there. I spend more money on a lot of things than a $25 set of cleats. I'm using SPD-SLs and after 500 miles they've shown almost no wear. I bet I'll get 3000 out of them.

ganderctr said:
Plastic's good...they wear out, you replace them. No big hearbreak there. I spend more money on a lot of things than a $25 set of cleats. I'm using SPD-SLs and after 500 miles they've shown almost no wear. I bet I'll get 3000 out of them.
If you're worried about wear on the Look cleats, just carry the Kool Kovers in your jersey pocket or seatwedge. They protect the cleats from wear, and make walking quiet and safe. A good $10 investment if you use Look cleats.

Only downside is you've got to remember to take them off before the group leaves the rest stop....or be ready to chase to catch up.