plastic pedals!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by phlegm, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

    Four months of learning to ride and I've finally worn out the bearings
    on the stock pedals that came with my Torker LX 24, so I need to buy
    some new pedals. I like the plastic pedals because I don't worry about
    shredding my legs on them. Does anyone have any suggestions for quality
    plastic pedals, or is that an oxymoron?

    Somewhat related, I eventually intend to take my uni offroad, hopefully
    sooner than later, but my gear isn't up to snuff yet. As I wear out
    parts on my Torker - my tire is getting pretty smooth too - should I
    replace them with more offroad friendly parts, or am setting myself up
    to completely trash the Torker?

    Please keep in mind that I don't do any big drops (nothing more than
    down a curb or out the air as high as I can jump on level ground), and I
    don't have much desire to do so. Freestyle and XC offroad are the main
    styles I'm pursuing, and I only weigh 140 lbs. So I don't need the most
    bombproof, exxxxxtreme parts available. :D

    --
    phlegm - skill level e
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

  2. tugboat

    tugboat Guest

    Hey. A while back, Darren Bedford recommended the Wellgo Resin plastic
    platform pedals for me. I love them. They definitely dont shread your
    legs, and they are awesome for grinding. I'm pretty sure Darren can get
    them for you, just go to his website and email him.
    http://www.bedfordunicycles.ca

    Kevin McMullin

    --
    tugboat - street unicyclist

    "You won't get hurt if you land it!"
    tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

  3. DK

    DK Guest

    You will probably soon find you want to do more and more extreme
    stuff.:D Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a new uni right
    now, but i would start saving up for a 29er.

    --
    DK - Team YAMS Member

    -Hunter-
    Im a Yamsta.
    DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

  4. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

    DK wrote:
    > *You will probably soon find you want to do more and more extreme
    > stuff.:D Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a new uni
    > right now, but i would start saving up for a 29er. *

    So you think the Torker will hold up if I take it offroad while I save
    up for a 29er? I've had my eye on a KH 29 but I'm still waiting on the
    funds.

    Are 'these' (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=PE707A01) the
    Wellgo pedals? Sorry Mr. Bedford, I don't live in Canada. ;)

    --
    phlegm - skill level e
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

  5. tholub

    tholub Guest

    The Torker LX is a reasonable uni; it will probably not disintegrate on
    you, although it is limited by things like the fork width. You can get
    a 2.3" tire in there, or some 2.5" tires, and that's enough to get into
    MUni.

    The Odyssey pedals sold by uni.com are reasonable plastic pedals. If
    you use them along with sticky shoes (maybe hiking boots) they'd be OK
    for MUni.

    In the long run, if you want to do freestyle as well as MUni, you'll
    probably be better off gearing the Torker to freestyle, and buying a
    real MUni. But you can start with just a new tire and pedals.

    --
    tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

  6. caw89

    caw89 Guest

  7. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

    tholub wrote:
    > *The Torker LX is a reasonable uni; it will probably not disintegrate
    > on you, although it is limited by things like the fork width. You can
    > get a 2.3" tire in there, or some 2.5" tires, and that's enough to get
    > into MUni.
    > *

    Is there a particular model of 2.3" tire that you've seen mounted on an
    LX? My concern is that there doesn't seem to be enough clearance
    between the rim and the crown to fit that much tire. There's only 2.0"
    between the top of the rim and the bottom of the crown on my uni.
    Doesn't a 2.3" tire need more clearance on top than a 2.1" tire, or is a
    2.3" just wider and not taller?

    --
    phlegm - skill level e
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

  8. tholub

    tholub Guest

    I was with someone who mounted a Specialized 2.5" tire (don't remember
    the brand) on his Torker at Moab last year; he had to shave off a little
    of the knobs but it basically worked. I don't think a 2.3" would be a
    problem.

    --
    tholub - Kinetic Sculptor