Plastic protection against the rain

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
It started with the e-bikes and now I have seen some bikers with that plastic shield like a roof that extends down in front and at the back. It's hard to describe but maybe I will be posting a photo next time when I chance upon a rider with that plastic shield. I have not heard of an accident yet but for sure it is a risk to have that plastic shield on the bike. When you are moving and a strong wind hits you, there is the tendency for you to lose balance and suffer a crash. Maybe it's just a novelty of a present craze but I'd still say that it is not safe.

IMG_20180629_092359_417.jpg
The wide variety is called a canopy, it looks like this and it cost much....
Here's another one...
IMG_20180629_092424_855.jpg

It started with the e-bikes and now I have seen some bikers with that plastic shield like a roof that extends down in front and at the back. It's hard to describe but maybe I will be posting a photo next time when I chance upon a rider with that plastic shield. I have not heard of an accident yet but for sure it is a risk to have that plastic shield on the bike. When you are moving and a strong wind hits you, there is the tendency for you to lose balance and suffer a crash. Maybe it's just a novelty of a present craze but I'd still say that it is not safe.

There's also a cheaper version which is called a rain protector which is like an extension of your helmet, it's made out of plastic and used by motorcycle and scooter riders.
It looks like this....
IMG_20180629_092411_921.jpg

@Kakashi, thanks very much for posting the pictures. Yeah, it's called canopy and just from the looks of it, I wouldn't dare have one because of the potential danger. The cheaper version looks funny but in fairness, it is safer than the canopy. Nevertheless, I'd say that the traditional raincoat is still the best protection for the rider against the rain.

@Kakashi, thanks very much for posting the pictures. Yeah, it's called canopy and just from the looks of it, I wouldn't dare have one because of the potential danger. The cheaper version looks funny but in fairness, it is safer than the canopy. Nevertheless, I'd say that the traditional raincoat is still the best protection for the rider against the rain.

I really think that the full canopy is very useful in shielding a cyclist from rain and other weather conditions like extreme heat and snow. It's made of lightweight material and it does seeve it's purpose.

That full shield looks less than desirable, to me. It might protect you if the rain is coming directly at you from the front or back, or if it is coming straight down, but if it comes from any other direction, you're going to get wet. Side gusts of wind could be dangerous, too.

Many years ago, as a teenager, I had a yellow cape, leggings and sou-wester. It did a great job and they weren't expensive. Modern capes are expensive, and I've tried el cheapo emergency capes from Home Depot. I tried to put one on when it was windy and rainy. When I rode away I could feel my back getting wet. The wind tore the back open and I hadn't noticed it. I have a better plastic cape that cost around $8, but it's far from perfect. I do wish I could find the set I had years ago.

I don't see anything unsafe about it, it just looks funky. I would rather look silly wearing a poncho then some dorky flair thing. I wear a clear polyurethane cycling rain jacket that fits snug that I got on sale for $8, I've had it for 4 or 5 year and it works great. It's similar to this one but mine came from Voler before they decided to up their prices 1000 percent! anyway see this: https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/bellwether-screaming-meemie-rain-jacket-bw-scm Did I say 1000 percent? Yes I did, I paid $8 for mine, the very next year after I got mine Voler went on a major price increase for all their stuff, this is now their clear poly rain jacket: https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1010J73 Needless to say I don't shop at Voler any more.

It looks safe when you are using a bike. But I don't think it is safe when one use this on his/her own motorcycle. In our province, several motorcycle owners are using this thing. But I never got any intentions to use it as well, it looks kinda dangerous for motorcycles. Some of the habal-habal drivers as we call it in our province who are using motorcycle as a public vehicle are also using this one for protection against rain and heat from the sun, but there are numerous accidents happen because of these plastic shield they are using. Drivers are complaining that it is kinda dangerous to use for motorcycles specially when used on a windy day.
It's safer to use it on our bikes because we aren't driving that fast like motorcycles who run 40-70kph.

it looks really weird and could be dangerous for people not used to those, and all for just a marginal protection vs the rain. I'd rather not ride the bike while raining.