Plastic thing that comes with dura-ace groupset?

mzagorski

Jun 17, 2003
Anyone know what the purpose is for the long clear plastic thing that comes with dura-ace groupset?... is it for brakes and goes under handlebar tape?

Cheers

Mike

Originally posted by mzagorski
Anyone know what the purpose is for the long clear plastic thing that comes with dura-ace groupset?... is it for brakes and goes under handlebar tape?

Cheers

Mike
Tried reading the instructions?

Cheers

Mike

Exactly...

Yes, it is to create a smooth transition around the brake cable. However, handlebars are comfortable without it (and you save a bit of weight.).

Originally posted by GuyStevens
Yes, it is to create a smooth transition around the brake cable. However, handlebars are comfortable without it (and you save a bit of weight.).

it is only useful, imo, for bars that do not have a groove for cables.

if you've got the groove, so to speak, the fit is loose.

Ok, thanks for replies. Some daft, some logical and helpful :D

I had a rough idea what they were for, but Ive never had any instructions that have shown them - so thanks for the smart-**** comments about RTFM !

Installed without... just like I have done for past 8 years.

Mike

Ok, thanks for replies. Some daft, some logical and helpful :D

I had a rough idea what they were for, but Ive never had any instructions that have shown them - so thanks for the smart-**** comments about RTFM !

Installed without... just like I have done for past 8 years.

Mike

just to make sure, you're talking about that catapillar type thing in Step 3, Installation of the Brake Cable, right?

http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/ST/si_images/ST_7700-C_SI.pdf