Plastic tyre levers...

Martin Törnsten <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Captain's log. On StarDate Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:47:56 +0100 received comm from
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> on channel uk.rec.cycling:
>
> : ...are rubbish. York was out yesterday because of all the heavy rain, as was
>
> Not at all. Works perfectly here (used both Tacx and Michelin for many years).
>
> : After about 30 miles I got my first puncture on a road bike. Luckily it was
> : in Hull and there was a nice bench nearby to sit on. I had my Lidl toolkit
> : which included 3 tyre levers, which turned out to be completely useless.
> : They were far too bendy to take the tyre off, but as it turned out there was
> : a screwdriver in the kit and I managed to get the tyre off with that.
>
> As metal will possibly destroy your rim it's not any really good choice. Get a
> good pair of QUALITY plastic ones and you can't get anything better.
>
> These Michelin Tyre Levers are the old classics who just works and works:
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360010439

Thanks - just ordered a set.

Simon

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Graeme wrote:
> > [email protected] (Peter Headland) wrote in news:f48af01d.0406281-
> > [email protected]:news:f48af01d.0406281726.38188c2c@pos-
> > ting.google.com:
> >
> >> I never carry tyre levers. There are very few tyre/rim combinations
> >> that require levers.

> I wouldn't go that far.
> > So come on then, what's the trick? Us mere mortals need to know!

> .........Works on the more looser-fitting tyre/rim combinations.
> ~PB

There is no way my old MA2s could have their tyres removed without
levers. I have broken levers on them before, I bought a VAR tool because
of these rims. I have tried Hutchinson and Michelin tyres and both
brands are pigs to remove.

--

MSeries wrote:
> There is no way my old MA2s could have their tyres removed without
> levers. I have broken levers on them before, I bought a VAR tool
> because
> of these rims. I have tried Hutchinson and Michelin tyres and both
> brands are pigs to remove.

Certainly does depends on the tyres as well. I can get Vittoria Open
Corsa 23* tyres off MA2s without levers (albeit with a struggle) and
various other tyres off them easily with ordinary levers, including Conti
Ultra Gatorskin 28 and Schwalbe Blizzard Kevlar 25.

* easily removed from Open Pro rims without levers.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Certainly does depends on the tyres as well. I can get Vittoria Open
> Corsa 23* tyres off MA2s without levers (albeit with a struggle) and
> various other tyres off them easily with ordinary levers, including
> Conti Ultra Gatorskin 28 and Schwalbe Blizzard Kevlar 25.
> * easily removed from Open Pro rims without levers.
> ~PB

Forgot to say I used 20 and 23 mm tyres on the MA2s. Perhaps I'll try
some Vittorias next - or make this the candidate for my first wheel
building project !

--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Stelvios

As I was consulting my OS map in Newport yesterday, I noticed an area in
Bassaleg called 'Stelvio'. I'm guessing the tyres aren't named after
that particular Stelvio.

(ObTopic: The plastic tyre levers that came with my Topeak multitool
work fine)

"He swapped five photos of his wife
For one of Barry John"

On 29/6/04 11:54 am, in article [email protected], "Keith
Willoughby" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
>> Stelvios

> As I was consulting my OS map in Newport yesterday, I noticed an area in
> Bassaleg called 'Stelvio'. I'm guessing the tyres aren't named after
> that particular Stelvio.
>
> (ObTopic: The plastic tyre levers that came with my Topeak multitool
> work fine)

Passo san Stelvio on the border between Italy and Switzerland.

The only time I have been up there I ended up helping a couple fix their car
fan so it would work, by dint of sticking lots of tape to it. This lasted to
the top of the pass (just - there was a wonderful sound of tape unravelling
as we came round the last but one bend) at which point they could coast
downhill to the next town and find a garage. We had ice creams and a great
three way conversation in English, French, and Italian. He spoke French and
Italian, I spoke English and poor french, she spoke Italian and English.

It is a dramatic pass, lots of hairpin bends going up from the southwest,
very steep on the other side.

...d

"Keith Willoughby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
> > Stelvios

> As I was consulting my OS map in Newport yesterday, I noticed an area in
> Bassaleg called 'Stelvio'. I'm guessing the tyres aren't named after
> that particular Stelvio.

Naaah.

They're named after the owner of a kebab shop in the Seven Sisters Road.

Curious

> --
> Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
> "He swapped five photos of his wife
> For one of Barry John"

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:01:58 +0100, David Martin
<BD070AB6.1950F%[email protected]>:

>Passo san Stelvio on the border between Italy and Switzerland.

That's right, as far as I can tell - isn't it on the Giro?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

> So it's off on another rolling experiment to find out the most puncture
> proof tyre in 23 mm size.

Save yourself some grief, get Specialized Armadillos.

On 29 Jun 2004 11:17:15 -0700, Michael Green
<[email protected]> wrote:
>> So it's off on another rolling experiment to find out the most puncture
>> proof tyre in 23 mm size.

>Save yourself some grief, get Specialized Armadillos.

Is that a brand of tyre or a crack troup of burrowing, armoured mammals?

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail'
See his mind here : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/

[email protected] (Doctor J. Frink) writes:

> On 29 Jun 2004 11:17:15 -0700, Michael Green
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> So it's off on another rolling experiment to find out the most puncture
> >> proof tyre in 23 mm size.

> >Save yourself some grief, get Specialized Armadillos.

> Is that a brand of tyre or a crack troup of burrowing, armoured mammals?

Both ;-)