Platform / Clipless Pedals Suggestion

Simon

Guest
Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use regular
shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any suggestions?

tia,
Simon

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use

regular
> shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any suggestions?
>
> tia,
> Simon

I use Shimano 545....the engagement part of the pedal is higher than the
outside cage. It is uncomfortable when wearing non-biking shoes.

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use

> regular
> > shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any suggestions?
> >
> > tia,
> > Simon
> >

> I use Shimano 545....the engagement part of the pedal is higher than the
> outside cage. It is uncomfortable when wearing non-biking shoes.

It takes all of about 2 minutes and a pedal wrench to switch from the SPD's
to a pair of cheap Kmart flat pedals ( about $9.00 a pair).
Or, buy a junker bike ( $ 60) with flat pedals for riding around town, etc,
and if someone steals it, you won't care so much.
Dan V

Simon wrote:
> Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use
> regular shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any
> suggestions?

Shimano sells a clipon platform that you clipon to a SPD pedal. You then
ride it with your normal shoes.

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> writes:

> Simon wrote:
> > Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use
> > regular shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any
> > suggestions?
> >

> Shimano sells a clipon platform that you clipon to a SPD pedal. You then
> ride it with your normal shoes.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

I bought one of these systems a long time ago, and quickly realized that
for quickie rides it wasn't worth the hassle of putting it on, and for any
ride that was long enough I'd rather just put on my shoes.

Having pedals with one side clip in and one side flat is good for a commuter
bike.

Will

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:27:01 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:

> It takes all of about 2 minutes and a pedal wrench to switch from the SPD's
> to a pair of cheap Kmart flat pedals ( about $9.00 a pair).
> Or, buy a junker bike ( $ 60) with flat pedals for riding around town, etc,
> and if someone steals it, you won't care so much.
> Dan V

Why? It takes a second to flip the pedal over. My wife uses the flip
pedals on her tourer/kid hauler. Much easier if you want to jump on the
bike and go around the block.

performance used to sell a pedal - Campus? Commuter? That had a SPD clip
on one side, and a platform on the other. If you can't find those, many
spin bikes have those pedals, so any shop that handles spin bikes should
be able to help you.

--Kamus

Simon,
I just swapped both my bikes to shimano 324 pedals (clipless on one
side, cage on the other). So far, I like them better than the Wellgo
double sided clipless pedals that came with my mountain bike, they are a
bit easier to get out of. Pricepoint has them for $50.

Steve.

Simon wrote:
> Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use regular
> shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any suggestions?
>
> tia,
> Simon

"William Pughe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Simon wrote:
> > > Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use
> > > regular shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any
> > > suggestions?
> > >

> > Shimano sells a clipon platform that you clipon to a SPD pedal. You then
> > ride it with your normal shoes.
> >
> > --
> > Perre
> >
> > You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

> I bought one of these systems a long time ago, and quickly realized that
> for quickie rides it wasn't worth the hassle of putting it on, and for any
> ride that was long enough I'd rather just put on my shoes.
>
> Having pedals with one side clip in and one side flat is good for a

commuter
> bike.
>
> Will

I had the same experience, and never really used the clip-on platforms.
Riding the bike is actually fine with regular shoes on my clipless pedals,
but sometimes I will also put on my old spd shoes which are not that stiff
in the sole if I end up doing some walking.

Sniffinvinyl
----------------
Remain sane, cycle your brains out . . .

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I decided to go with Crank
Bros. Mallet C's. I'll reply back once I get them put on and go for a ride.

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use

regular
> shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any suggestions?
>
> tia,
> Simon

On Mon, 03 May 2004 21:10:32 GMT, Steve + Laura
<[email protected]> scribbled:

>Simon,
>I just swapped both my bikes to shimano 324 pedals (clipless on one
>side, cage on the other). So far, I like them better than the Wellgo
>double sided clipless pedals that came with my mountain bike, they are a
>bit easier to get out of. Pricepoint has them for $50.
>
>Steve.

Nashbar Rodeos are similar, and what I have on my bike right now. I'll
probably try clipless this summer, but will likely retain the platform
(Crank Brothers Mallets) because the ease of being able to jump on a
ride is a nice convenience. I think it helps occasionally in tricky
terrain too, but that's me and I'm kind of odd.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I decided to go with
> Crank Bros. Mallet C's. I'll reply back once I get them put on and go
> for a ride.
>
> "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use

> regular
>> shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any suggestions?
>>
>> tia,
>> Simon

Let me know how the Crank Bros. Mallets work out for ya... I've been
wanting to switch over to clipless for a while now, but since my bike is
a campus bike first, trail bike second I've been weary of getting rid of
my Zu-Zu's for overall performance.

--
- Chris Stovall -
www.skokatt.com

Everyone starts out with a full bag of luck
and an empty bag of experience.
The trick is to fill one before you empty the other.

Slash wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2004 21:10:32 GMT, Steve + Laura
> <[email protected]> scribbled:
>
>> Simon,
>> I just swapped both my bikes to shimano 324 pedals (clipless on one
>> side, cage on the other). So far, I like them better than the Wellgo
>> double sided clipless pedals that came with my mountain bike, they
>> are a bit easier to get out of. Pricepoint has them for $50.
>>
>> Steve.

> Nashbar Rodeos are similar, and what I have on my bike right now. I'll
> probably try clipless this summer, but will likely retain the platform
> (Crank Brothers Mallets) because the ease of being able to jump on a
> ride is a nice convenience. I think it helps occasionally in tricky
> terrain too, but that's me and I'm kind of odd.

Got a question for you, Slash.
If you're wearing cleats, can you stay UNclipped while using the Mallets?
I'm looking at the Mallets but aren't sure if you can ride technical terrain
unclipped and stay unclipped even if your foot slides around a bit. I
thought that it'd be unavoidable to clip in?
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Simon wrote:
> Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I decided to go with
> Crank Bros. Mallet C's. I'll reply back once I get them put on and
> go for a ride.

Ditto. Would love to hear how they go. Especially if whether or not you
can stay unclipped on them while wearing cleats.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon wrote:
> > Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I decided to go with
> > Crank Bros. Mallet C's. I'll reply back once I get them put on and
> > go for a ride.

> Ditto. Would love to hear how they go. Especially if whether or not you
> can stay unclipped on them while wearing cleats.
> --

I tried finding a pedal combination about 6 months ago like this---any
cleated pedal I tried tended to end up clipping back in if you tried staying
unclipped and pedaling like the pedal was a flat. If you had a real flat
pedal on one side, and a clip on the other, then you still had the problem
that the cleat ruins your ability to "stick" to the pedal surface like soft
soles on flats.
If there was a pedal with clip on one side, and flat on the other, where you
could have an indentation that would keep the cleat from interfering with
the rest of the shoe's contact--allowing it to "stick" to the platform well,
then this would be awesome for some trails with big bridge sections where
riding clipped in is not particularly comfortable ( or smart at my level of
technical ability on bridges;-).

Maybe you could build up something on the flat side that could do this--but
I've never seen it.

Dan V

I got the Mallet C's put on this Saturday and did about five hours of riding
over the weekend. The pedals are great! I takes a bit of thinking to stay
unclipped while wearing cleats (staying on the outer edge of the pedal).
With street shoes you can hardly feel the egg beater in the centre. A great
compromise and just what I was looking for.

They are on the heavy side compared to my SPDs but the ease of getting in
and out of the pedal is well worth it. I feel much more comfortable on the
technical stuff and it's easy to keep tackling a hill if you accidentally
get unclipped.

Simon wrote:
> I got the Mallet C's put on this Saturday and did about five hours of
> riding over the weekend. The pedals are great! I takes a bit of
> thinking to stay unclipped while wearing cleats (staying on the outer
> edge of the pedal). With street shoes you can hardly feel the egg
> beater in the centre. A great compromise and just what I was looking
> for.
>
> They are on the heavy side compared to my SPDs but the ease of
> getting in and out of the pedal is well worth it. I feel much more
> comfortable on the technical stuff and it's easy to keep tackling a
> hill if you accidentally get unclipped.

Thanks for getting back to us.
Glad that you're enjoying them :)

On 2004-05-11 09:42:07 -0400, "Simon" <[email protected]> said:

> ey are on the heavy side compared to my SPDs but the ease of getting in
> and out of the pedal is well worth it. I feel much more comfortable on the
> technical stuff and it's easy to keep tackling a hill if you accidentally
> get unclipped.

Is there a reason you didn't get the Candy model instead of Mallet? I
would think that Candy would still allow you to pedal using shoes
without cleats and is much lighter than the Mallet. The Candy C is 308g
per pair versus 540g per pair for the Mallet C.

I just bought a pair of Eggbeater SLs (266g) myself and can't wait to
get them and try them out. They'll be my first clipless set of pedals.

The Candy costs more and the platform looked really small (unpractical for
someone who wants a platform solution). I'm really enjoying the Mallets,
they are on the heavy side but I'm not counting grams.

Have fun with the SLs. I'm an egg beater customer for life now.