Platform pedals

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Stumpknocker, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Stumpknocker

    Stumpknocker Guest

    I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
    really pleased with it. My only complaints are the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem to
    have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis Dakota. It
    had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a dream compared to what I was used
    to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the rear(or
    sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be either
    platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a rough day,
    had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most likely have
    been in a world of crap. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real muddy here, and it
    seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the platforms seem pointless.
    What do you guys think? -ser

    Tags:

  2. David L

    David L Guest

    "StumpKnocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
    > really pleased with it. My only complaints are the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem
    > to have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis
    Dakota.
    > It had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a dream compared to what I was
    > used to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the
    > rear(or sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be
    > either platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a
    > rough day, had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most
    > likely have been in a world of crap. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real
    > muddy here, and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the
    > platforms seem pointless. What do you guys think? -ser

    by cage, do you mean rat-traps, where there is a plastic type cage that the toes fit into? pins help
    grip your feet to the pedals. clipless is good once you figure out your limits.

    Dave

  3. Stumpknocker

    Stumpknocker Guest

    "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "StumpKnocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
    > > really pleased with it. My only complaints
    are
    > > the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem to have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure
    > > are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis
    > Dakota.
    > > It had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a
    dream
    > > compared to what I was used to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This
    > > is a major pain in the rear(or sometimes
    shin).
    > > I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be either platform or
    > > clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a rough day, had
    > > to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most likely have
    > > been in
    > > world of crap. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been
    real
    > > muddy here, and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the
    > > platforms seem pointless. What do you guys think? -ser
    > >

    > by cage, do you mean rat-traps, where there is a plastic type cage that
    the
    > toes fit into? pins help grip your feet to the pedals. clipless is good once you figure
    out
    > your limits.
    >
    > Dave

    I was looking at: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfmcategory=108&subcategory=1181&brand=&sku=8
    036&storetype=&estoreid=

    I might put some of he clips and straps that scew onto the pedal. These are easier to get out of in
    a jam. I will most likely go clipless when my comfort level gets where I need it to be. -ser

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    StumpKnocker wrote:
    > I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
    > really pleased with it. My only complaints are the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem
    > to have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis Dakota.
    > It had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a dream compared to what I was
    > used to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the
    > rear(or sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be
    > either platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a
    > rough day, had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most
    > likely have been in a world of crap. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real
    > muddy here, and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the
    > platforms seem pointless. What do you guys think?

    Caged pedals don't come close to platforms, IMO. There's more to platforms than just little pins -
    the entire surface is concaved to provide superior grip and the pins just help to keep your foot in
    place. However, they're not clipless, so don't expect your foot to be rooted to the pedal. Each to
    their own, but I'd still go for a set of clipless, set up loose.

  5. Alpamsfq

    Alpamsfq Guest

    StumpKnocker <[email protected]> wrote...
    > About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the rear(or
    > sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be either
    > platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a rough
    > day, had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most likely
    > have been in a world of crap. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real muddy here,
    > and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the platforms seem
    > pointless. What do you guys think? -ser

    you might wanna consider lookin at bmx pedals instead... works for me

    and practice your trackstands (first on my list this year)

    --
    chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.

  6. On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 04:49:49 +0000, StumpKnocker did issue forth:

    > I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a rough day, had to come off
    > the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most likely have been in a world
    > of crap.

    Maybe at first you would have been in a world of crap, but unclipping very quickly becomes second
    nature. I can't think of any spills I've had where I can lay the blame for the accident on not being
    able to unclip.

  7. Kx Dave

    Kx Dave Guest

    Try a good pair of BMX shoes like Etnies or Vans. You need a grippy sole to go along with the pedal,
    or else it's kind of useless. I ride platforms all the time for XC and I like it a lot. Gave up
    clipless a year ago.

    "StumpKnocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
    > really pleased with it. My only complaints are the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem
    > to have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis
    Dakota.
    > It had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a dream compared to what I was
    > used to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the
    > rear(or sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be
    > either platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a
    > rough day, had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most
    > likely have been in a world of crap. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real
    > muddy here, and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the
    > platforms seem pointless. What do you guys think? -ser

  8. > Try a good pair of BMX shoes like Etnies or Vans. You need a grippy sole
    > go along with the pedal, or else it's kind of useless. I ride platforms
    all
    > the time for XC and I like it a lot. Gave up clipless a year ago.

    Keep in mind that the Tassajara comes with fake platforms: the kind with pins that AREN'T screwed in
    - they're the type that are cast with the pedal with no traction.

    GET REAL PLATFORMS!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  10. bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > kx dave wrote:
    > > Try a good pair of BMX shoes like Etnies or Vans.
    >
    > Etnies definitely, but I find the soles of Vans tend to disintegrate too quickly and are a little
    > too soft. Try and find something with a stiffish sole too, so that you don't end up with poor
    > power transfer and foot problems.

    Got to (partly) disagree with you there bomba, I find Vans superb for riding. I wish I didn't
    because of their treatment of riders in the U.S. Vans skateparks, but I just love the original
    waffle sole. I've also got a pair of Path shoes which are a skate shoe/boot and are again superb - I
    use them in winter 'cos I can waterproof them.

    As soon as I need a new pair I'll be checking out the rider owned 'Inertia' shoes, anyone have any
    experience?

    Steve E.

  11. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    spademan o---[ * wrote:

    >>Etnies definitely, but I find the soles of Vans tend to disintegrate too quickly and are a little
    >>too soft. Try and find something with a stiffish sole too, so that you don't end up with poor
    >>power transfer and foot problems.
    >

    > Got to (partly) disagree with you there bomba, I find Vans superb for riding. I wish I didn't
    > because of their treatment of riders in the U.S. Vans skateparks, but I just love the original
    > waffle sole.

    Don't get me wrong, I liked the waffle sole, it just disintegrated within a year of riding. It was
    also way too flexy for XC and there was no support in the heels, which meant plenty of bruised heels
    on skewed 360s.

    > As soon as I need a new pair I'll be checking out the rider owned 'Inertia' shoes, anyone have any
    > experience?

    I heard Orchid are on the horizon (from Little Devil), but haven't heard of inertia. Links?

  12. bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > spademan o---[ * wrote:
    >
    > >>Etnies definitely, but I find the soles of Vans tend to disintegrate too quickly and are a
    > >>little too soft. Try and find something with a stiffish sole too, so that you don't end up with
    > >>poor power transfer and foot problems.
    > >

    > > Got to (partly) disagree with you there bomba, I find Vans superb for riding. I wish I didn't
    > > because of their treatment of riders in the U.S. Vans skateparks, but I just love the original
    > > waffle sole.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I liked the waffle sole, it just disintegrated within a year of riding. It was
    > also way too flexy for XC and there was no support in the heels, which meant plenty of bruised
    > heels on skewed 360s.

    They're great for me, but then again I am spoilt with riding a full sus mtb. On my singlespeed rigid
    with unusually small wheels ;-) I mostly ride smooth trails and generally don't do big drops etc, so
    its not a problem there either. I'm still trying to learn 360's, at the moment its my ankle that
    takes a beating when I don't make it all the way around. Partly why I bought the path shoes/boots
    which give more ankle protection.

    > > As soon as I need a new pair I'll be checking out the rider owned 'Inertia' shoes, anyone have
    > > any experience?
    >
    > I heard Orchid are on the horizon (from Little Devil), but haven't heard of inertia. Links?

    Oops, a quick search reveals nothing on 'Inertia', more racking of brains and the brand I meant was
    Inopia - http://www.inopiausa.com/

    Inertia makes more sense though, right?

    Steve E.