Platform pedals



Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stumpknocker

Guest
I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
really pleased with it. My only complaints are the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem to
have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis Dakota. It
had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a dream compared to what I was used
to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the rear(or
sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be either
platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a rough day,
had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most likely have
been in a world of ****. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real muddy here, and it
seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the platforms seem pointless.
What do you guys think? -ser
 
D

David L

Guest
"StumpKnocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
> really pleased with it. My only complaints are the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem
> to have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis
Dakota.
> It had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a dream compared to what I was
> used to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the
> rear(or sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be
> either platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a
> rough day, had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most
> likely have been in a world of ****. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real
> muddy here, and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the
> platforms seem pointless. What do you guys think? -ser
>
>

by cage, do you mean rat-traps, where there is a plastic type cage that the toes fit into? pins help
grip your feet to the pedals. clipless is good once you figure out your limits.

Dave
 
S

Stumpknocker

Guest
"David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "StumpKnocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
> > really pleased with it. My only complaints
are
> > the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem to have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure
> > are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis
> Dakota.
> > It had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a
dream
> > compared to what I was used to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This
> > is a major pain in the rear(or sometimes
shin).
> > I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be either platform or
> > clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a rough day, had
> > to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most likely have
> > been in
a
> > world of ****. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been
real
> > muddy here, and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the
> > platforms seem pointless. What do you guys think? -ser
> >
> >
>
> by cage, do you mean rat-traps, where there is a plastic type cage that
the
> toes fit into? pins help grip your feet to the pedals. clipless is good once you figure
out
> your limits.
>
> Dave
>

I was looking at: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfmcategory=108&subcategory=1181&brand=&sku=8
036&storetype=&estoreid=

I might put some of he clips and straps that scew onto the pedal. These are easier to get out of in
a jam. I will most likely go clipless when my comfort level gets where I need it to be. -ser
 
B

Bomba

Guest
StumpKnocker wrote:
> I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
> really pleased with it. My only complaints are the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem
> to have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis Dakota.
> It had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a dream compared to what I was
> used to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the
> rear(or sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be
> either platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a
> rough day, had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most
> likely have been in a world of ****. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real
> muddy here, and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the
> platforms seem pointless. What do you guys think?

Caged pedals don't come close to platforms, IMO. There's more to platforms than just little pins -
the entire surface is concaved to provide superior grip and the pins just help to keep your foot in
place. However, they're not clipless, so don't expect your foot to be rooted to the pedal. Each to
their own, but I'd still go for a set of clipless, set up loose.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
 
A

Alpamsfq

Guest
StumpKnocker <[email protected]> wrote...
> About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the rear(or
> sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be either
> platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a rough
> day, had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most likely
> have been in a world of ****. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real muddy here,
> and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the platforms seem
> pointless. What do you guys think? -ser
>
>

you might wanna consider lookin at bmx pedals instead... works for me

and practice your trackstands (first on my list this year)

--
chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.
 
H

Huw Pritchard

Guest
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 04:49:49 +0000, StumpKnocker did issue forth:

> I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a rough day, had to come off
> the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most likely have been in a world
> of ****.

Maybe at first you would have been in a world of ****, but unclipping very quickly becomes second
nature. I can't think of any spills I've had where I can lay the blame for the accident on not being
able to unclip.

--
Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail
 
K

Kx Dave

Guest
Try a good pair of BMX shoes like Etnies or Vans. You need a grippy sole to go along with the pedal,
or else it's kind of useless. I ride platforms all the time for XC and I like it a lot. Gave up
clipless a year ago.

"StumpKnocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am just getting back into riding on a regular basis. I bought a 2003 Fisher Tassajara, and I'm
> really pleased with it. My only complaints are the pedals and the brakes. The Promax brakes seem
> to have a bit too much flex, but v-brakes sure are nice. My previous ride was a '91 Jamis
Dakota.
> It had full Deore DX with cantilever brakes. The Fisher rides like a dream compared to what I was
> used to. About the pedals, my feet slip off the pedals fairly often. This is a major pain in the
> rear(or sometimes shin). I have looked online at pedal choices, and most everything seems to be
> either platform or clipless. I was contemplating going clipless until yesterday. I had sort of a
> rough day, had to come off the bike a couple times. If I was clipped to that thing I would most
> likely have been in a world of ****. How do you guys feel about cage pedals? It has been real
> muddy here, and it seems like caged pedals would provide more grip. The little pins on the
> platforms seem pointless. What do you guys think? -ser
 
S

Squid-In-Traini

Guest
> Try a good pair of BMX shoes like Etnies or Vans. You need a grippy sole
to
> go along with the pedal, or else it's kind of useless. I ride platforms
all
> the time for XC and I like it a lot. Gave up clipless a year ago.

Keep in mind that the Tassajara comes with fake platforms: the kind with pins that AREN'T screwed in
- they're the type that are cast with the pedal with no traction.

GET REAL PLATFORMS!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training
 
S

Spademan O----L

Guest
bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> kx dave wrote:
> > Try a good pair of BMX shoes like Etnies or Vans.
>
> Etnies definitely, but I find the soles of Vans tend to disintegrate too quickly and are a little
> too soft. Try and find something with a stiffish sole too, so that you don't end up with poor
> power transfer and foot problems.

Got to (partly) disagree with you there bomba, I find Vans superb for riding. I wish I didn't
because of their treatment of riders in the U.S. Vans skateparks, but I just love the original
waffle sole. I've also got a pair of Path shoes which are a skate shoe/boot and are again superb - I
use them in winter 'cos I can waterproof them.

As soon as I need a new pair I'll be checking out the rider owned 'Inertia' shoes, anyone have any
experience?

Steve E.
 
B

Bomba

Guest
spademan o---[ * wrote:

>>Etnies definitely, but I find the soles of Vans tend to disintegrate too quickly and are a little
>>too soft. Try and find something with a stiffish sole too, so that you don't end up with poor
>>power transfer and foot problems.
>
>
> Got to (partly) disagree with you there bomba, I find Vans superb for riding. I wish I didn't
> because of their treatment of riders in the U.S. Vans skateparks, but I just love the original
> waffle sole.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the waffle sole, it just disintegrated within a year of riding. It was
also way too flexy for XC and there was no support in the heels, which meant plenty of bruised heels
on skewed 360s.

> As soon as I need a new pair I'll be checking out the rider owned 'Inertia' shoes, anyone have any
> experience?

I heard Orchid are on the horizon (from Little Devil), but haven't heard of inertia. Links?

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
 
S

Spademan O----L

Guest
bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> spademan o---[ * wrote:
>
> >>Etnies definitely, but I find the soles of Vans tend to disintegrate too quickly and are a
> >>little too soft. Try and find something with a stiffish sole too, so that you don't end up with
> >>poor power transfer and foot problems.
> >
> >
> > Got to (partly) disagree with you there bomba, I find Vans superb for riding. I wish I didn't
> > because of their treatment of riders in the U.S. Vans skateparks, but I just love the original
> > waffle sole.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I liked the waffle sole, it just disintegrated within a year of riding. It was
> also way too flexy for XC and there was no support in the heels, which meant plenty of bruised
> heels on skewed 360s.

They're great for me, but then again I am spoilt with riding a full sus mtb. On my singlespeed rigid
with unusually small wheels ;-) I mostly ride smooth trails and generally don't do big drops etc, so
its not a problem there either. I'm still trying to learn 360's, at the moment its my ankle that
takes a beating when I don't make it all the way around. Partly why I bought the path shoes/boots
which give more ankle protection.

> > As soon as I need a new pair I'll be checking out the rider owned 'Inertia' shoes, anyone have
> > any experience?
>
> I heard Orchid are on the horizon (from Little Devil), but haven't heard of inertia. Links?

Oops, a quick search reveals nothing on 'Inertia', more racking of brains and the brand I meant was
Inopia - http://www.inopiausa.com/

Inertia makes more sense though, right?

Steve E.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.