Platforms, Toe Clips, or Clipless?

AdamSean

Aug 11, 2011
I have been commuting on my Scott Speedster S30, but I really didn't want to put so much wear and tear on it so I bought a Scott SUB 30 for my daily commute. I am in the process of transitioning from a backpack to panniers, but I was wondering what most people prefer as far as pedals and why? On my road bike it is a no brainer. Clipless for the pedaling power and efficiency. But for just commuting I was thinking of just going with some simple toe clips. I have noticed a lot of people using platforms, but I have a few good sized hills to climb so I would like something that will help me utilize my upstroke. I have even looked at the platform/clipless combo. That looks like a nice compromise. Too many choices.

I know it really comes down to preference, but what I was really wanting to know is the pros and cons of each.

You might want to check for the availability of toe clip type pedals in your area. I looked for new toe clip style pedals in my area several years ago and didn't find much to choose from and none of good quality.

Seems like platform and clipless are what are mostly offered these days.

I commute and prefer clipless SPD pedals and MTB shoes (so I can still walk around easily.) I also have a bike that has half clips and that is handy if you don't want to wear special shoes or need really warm boots in the winter. Full clips are not much better than half clips unless you keep them tight and that is kind of a hassle (and may be dangerous) for commuting.

Some of the campus pedals that can work as both platform or SPD can also accept the half clips but they might need to be removed when using SPD shoes to avoid having them scrape the ground at times.

I went by the LBS today an found some good toe clip pedals. I went with those for the ease of use and easy to get in and out of for safety. I have a lot of traffic lights and stop signs to navigate. I may later get the clipless/platform combo as I have a nice pair of Shimano SPD commuter shoes. I like them so much I just can't part with them...lol.