Plattekill question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dave Haley, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
    Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
    to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not a
    XC type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension bike . After
    what seemed like an interrogation to find out what he rode the answer I got was he rode a Pacific
    full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.

    Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is full
    of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

    --

    Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

    Tags:

  2. Ruger9

    Ruger9 Guest

    On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 02:34:28 GMT, "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
    >Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
    >to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not a
    >XC type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension bike .
    >After what seemed like an interrogation to find out what he rode the answer I got was he rode a
    >Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
    >
    >Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
    >full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

    The website says:

    "...unbelievable mountain riding for all levels of ability from 20 miles of downhill singletrack to
    over 40 miles of cross country trails built specifically for mtn bike riding. "

    check it out: http://www.plattekill.com/bike/index.html

    ELi

  3. Dave Haley wrote:
    > The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
    > Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
    > to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not
    > a XC type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension bike .
    > After what seemed like an interrogation to find out what he rode the answer I got was he rode a
    > Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
    >
    > Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
    > full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).
    >
    > --
    >
    > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

    I did an XC race there last fall. Took us from the base of the chairlift, up to the top on fireroads
    (oh man that was a nasty climb), then across on singletrack and back down on a mix of singletrack
    and fireroads.

    Not sure if thats always open, but the downhill was rockin', and although wet, the singletrack was
    pretty sweet.

    Jon " Bond

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Dave Haley wrote:
    > The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
    > Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
    > to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear)

    Body armour is not an excuse. If you're not comfortable riding something, go slower, or get off.

    > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

    Your site rules, btw.

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Dave Haley wrote:
    > > The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
    > > Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about
    an
    > > hour away but have never ventured up there due to my lack of body armor
    ( I
    > > guess I could use my hockey gear)
    >
    > Body armour is not an excuse. If you're not comfortable riding something, go slower, or get off.
    >
    > > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66
    >
    > Your site rules, btw.

    Sarcasm again Harris?

    Shaun aRe

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > >>Your site rules, btw.
    > >

    > > Sarcasm again Harris?
    >
    > Moi?

    Oui, toi!

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  8. Dave Haley wrote:

    > Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
    > full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

    You can always slow down. <G>

    Barry

  9. scottieski

    scottieski Guest

    >Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
    >full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

    Nothing wrong at all with a Kona Manomano!

    Like John had mentioned, there is indeed some single track there, but the majority of the crowd you
    will find are Downhillers/Freeriders looking to take on the more challenging terrain there.

  10. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:UK_%[email protected]...
    > Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
    > full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

    We'll be going there as soon as it opens up in the spring, and hitting it a few times suring the
    summer. Its about 2-1/2 hours from us. Its not for the faint hearted, that's for sure, your
    co-worker is not full of shyte, but you should only ride what you feel your skills can handle. I
    don't know if that Kona is a FS or not, but you really should have some cush for your tush and some
    really fat knobbies. I would also recommend a full face and some body armour, you just never know...
    You're welcome to join us when we go there.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  11. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dave Haley wrote:
    > > The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
    > > Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there
    > > due to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this
    > > is not a XC type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension
    > > bike . After what seemed like an interrogation to find out what he rode the answer I got was he
    > > rode a Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
    > >
    > > Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
    > > full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66
    > >

    > I did an XC race there last fall. Took us from the base of the chairlift, up to the top on
    > fireroads (oh man that was a nasty climb), then across on singletrack and back down on a mix of
    > singletrack and fireroads.
    >
    > Not sure if thats always open, but the downhill was rockin', and although wet, the singletrack was
    > pretty sweet.
    >
    > Jon " Bond

    Seconded. I was actually up there to do an XC race, which had happened the day before. Whoops. I
    pretty much went straight up the fireroad and straight down on the Sport downhiller trail. I've got
    a big hardtail, set up mainly for climbing (fairly stretched out position, high seat, low bars, 80mm
    fork.) The wheels are fairly heavy-duty in XC terms (Ringle hubs, Mavic 121s), and the brakes are
    old Magura hydraulic calipers. My only 'armor' was a pair of soccer shin guards. On the way down, I
    dropped the seat to the top tube and gave it a whirl. Let's just say that in certain spots I
    suddenly understood why everybody else was on massive dh rigs. I was pretty impressed with the
    course. I was flicked off of it (with extreme prejudice) a couple times. It's doable, but definitely
    scared the poop out of me in spots. I'm sure there are other ways down too. /s

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Nothing wrong at all with a Kona Manomano! I own three, they work great on sidewalks.
    >
    > Like John had mentioned, there is indeed some sidewalk riding there, especially for those who
    > think they are extreem.

    natch

  13. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:UK_%[email protected]...
    > The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
    > Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
    > to my lack of body armor
    ( I
    > guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not a XC type of place. I asked
    > what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension bike . After what seemed like an
    > interrogation to find out
    what
    > he rode the answer I got was he rode a Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
    >
    > Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
    > full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).
    >
    > --
    >
    > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

    Thanks for the info both sincere and sarcastic. I can now say my website has been endorsed by both
    bomba and Rimmer.

    Dave Haley

  14. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    > [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Nothing wrong at all with a Kona Manomano! I own three, they work great
    on sidewalks.

    > > Like John had mentioned, there is indeed some sidewalk riding there,
    especially for those who think they are extreem.

    > natch

    I knew someone would guide me to the trails I was looking for. The sidewalks offer a challenge of
    moving targets trees and rocks just can't provide.

    Dave Haley

  15. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    > bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > Sarcasm again Harris?
    > >
    > > Moi?
    >
    > Oui, toi!
    >
    > ',;~}
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Thanks for the compliment. Oh wait, I'll say it your language. Remercie pour le compliment.
    Embrasse mon arrière.

    Dave Haley

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Dave Haley <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > Moi?
    > >
    > > Oui, toi!
    > >
    > > ',;~}
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > Thanks for the compliment. Oh wait, I'll say it your language.

    My language is English.

    > Remercie pour le compliment.

    I think he was being sarcastic, because your sight has almost nothing on it yet (as far as I could
    see). we're like that round here ya know, real mean and stuff. I even once (mebbe more...) told a
    guy he smelled of poo.

    > Embrasse mon arrière.

    You trying to tell me to kiss your arse or summink? (Embrace my back?!?!?) ',;~}

    Embrassez _mon_ cul Monsieur Merd.

    If that makes any sense at all it's a miracle!

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  17. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:UK_%[email protected]...
    > > The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
    > > Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about
    an
    > > hour away but have never ventured up there due to my lack of body armor
    > ( I
    > > guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not a
    XC
    > > type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a
    full
    > > suspension bike . After what seemed like an interrogation to find out
    > what
    > > he rode the answer I got was he rode a Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
    > >
    > > Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
    > > full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano
    (I
    > > know, flame away).
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66
    > >

    > Thanks for the info both sincere and sarcastic. I can now say my website has been endorsed by both
    > bomba and Rimmer.
    >
    > Dave Haley

    oh yeah, that legitimizes it for sure.......right, now about that bridge.

    Dave (Let's make a deal...)

  18. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    > Dave Haley <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Oui, toi!
    > > >
    > > > ',;~}
    > > >
    > > > Shaun aRe
    > > >

    > > Thanks for the compliment. Oh wait, I'll say it your language.
    >
    > My language is English.
    >
    > > Remercie pour le compliment.
    >
    > I think he was being sarcastic, because your sight has almost nothing on
    it
    > yet (as far as I could see). we're like that round here ya know, real mean and stuff. I even once
    > (mebbe more...) told a guy he smelled of poo.
    >
    > > Embrasse mon arrière.
    >
    > You trying to tell me to kiss your arse or summink? (Embrace my back?!?!?) ',;~}
    >
    > Embrassez _mon_ cul Monsieur Merd.
    >
    > If that makes any sense at all it's a miracle!
    >
    > ',;~}
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Makes sense. www.freetranslation.com

    I realize my site has almost nothing on it. It's taken a back seat to other priorities. I mean no
    offense, just a little sarcastic humor right back.

    --

    Dave Haley

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Dave Haley <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]ewtronic.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Dave Haley <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Thanks for the compliment. Oh wait, I'll say it your language.
    > >
    > > My language is English.
    > >
    > > > Remercie pour le compliment.
    > >
    > > I think he was being sarcastic, because your sight has almost nothing on
    > it
    > > yet (as far as I could see). we're like that round here ya know, real
    mean
    > > and stuff. I even once (mebbe more...) told a guy he smelled of poo.
    > >
    > > > Embrasse mon arrière.
    > >
    > > You trying to tell me to kiss your arse or summink? (Embrace my
    back?!?!?)
    > > ',;~}
    > >
    > > Embrassez _mon_ cul Monsieur Merd.
    > >
    > > If that makes any sense at all it's a miracle!
    > >
    > > ',;~}
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >
    > Makes sense. www.freetranslation.com
    >
    > I realize my site has almost nothing on it. It's taken a back seat to
    other
    > priorities. I mean no offense, just a little sarcastic humor right back.

    Being a Brit, I knew that, and it'd be hard for you to offend me anyhow - I got skin like a rhino
    for the most part ',;~}

    Shaun aRe