Plattekill question

Dave Haley

Guest
The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not a
XC type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension bike . After
what seemed like an interrogation to find out what he rode the answer I got was he rode a Pacific
full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.

Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is full
of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

--

Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 02:34:28 GMT, "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
>Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
>to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not a
>XC type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension bike .
>After what seemed like an interrogation to find out what he rode the answer I got was he rode a
>Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
>
>Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
>full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

The website says:

"...unbelievable mountain riding for all levels of ability from 20 miles of downhill singletrack to
over 40 miles of cross country trails built specifically for mtn bike riding. "

check it out: http://www.plattekill.com/bike/index.html

ELi

Dave Haley wrote:
> The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
> Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
> to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not
> a XC type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension bike .
> After what seemed like an interrogation to find out what he rode the answer I got was he rode a
> Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
>
> Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
> full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).
>
> --
>
> Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

I did an XC race there last fall. Took us from the base of the chairlift, up to the top on fireroads
(oh man that was a nasty climb), then across on singletrack and back down on a mix of singletrack
and fireroads.

Not sure if thats always open, but the downhill was rockin', and although wet, the singletrack was
pretty sweet.

Jon " Bond

Dave Haley wrote:
> The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
> Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
> to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear)

Body armour is not an excuse. If you're not comfortable riding something, go slower, or get off.

> Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

Your site rules, btw.

> Dave Haley wrote:
> > The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
> > Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about
an
> > hour away but have never ventured up there due to my lack of body armor
( I
> > guess I could use my hockey gear)
>
> Body armour is not an excuse. If you're not comfortable riding something, go slower, or get off.
>
> > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66
>
> Your site rules, btw.

Sarcasm again Harris?

Shaun aRe

Dave Haley wrote:

> Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
> full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

You can always slow down. <G>

Barry

>Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
>full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

Nothing wrong at all with a Kona Manomano!

Like John had mentioned, there is indeed some single track there, but the majority of the crowd you
will find are Downhillers/Freeriders looking to take on the more challenging terrain there.

"Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:UK_%[email protected]...
> Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
> full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).

We'll be going there as soon as it opens up in the spring, and hitting it a few times suring the
summer. Its about 2-1/2 hours from us. Its not for the faint hearted, that's for sure, your
co-worker is not full of shyte, but you should only ride what you feel your skills can handle. I
don't know if that Kona is a FS or not, but you really should have some cush for your tush and some
really fat knobbies. I would also recommend a full face and some body armour, you just never know...
You're welcome to join us when we go there.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Dave Haley wrote:
> > The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
> > Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there
> > due to my lack of body armor ( I guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this
> > is not a XC type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension
> > bike . After what seemed like an interrogation to find out what he rode the answer I got was he
> > rode a Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
> >
> > Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
> > full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66
> >

> I did an XC race there last fall. Took us from the base of the chairlift, up to the top on
> fireroads (oh man that was a nasty climb), then across on singletrack and back down on a mix of
> singletrack and fireroads.
>
> Not sure if thats always open, but the downhill was rockin', and although wet, the singletrack was
> pretty sweet.
>
> Jon " Bond

Seconded. I was actually up there to do an XC race, which had happened the day before. Whoops. I
pretty much went straight up the fireroad and straight down on the Sport downhiller trail. I've got
a big hardtail, set up mainly for climbing (fairly stretched out position, high seat, low bars, 80mm
fork.) The wheels are fairly heavy-duty in XC terms (Ringle hubs, Mavic 121s), and the brakes are
old Magura hydraulic calipers. My only 'armor' was a pair of soccer shin guards. On the way down, I
dropped the seat to the top tube and gave it a whirl. Let's just say that in certain spots I
suddenly understood why everybody else was on massive dh rigs. I was pretty impressed with the
course. I was flicked off of it (with extreme prejudice) a couple times. It's doable, but definitely
scared the **** out of me in spots. I'm sure there are other ways down too. /s

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Nothing wrong at all with a Kona Manomano! I own three, they work great on sidewalks.
>
> Like John had mentioned, there is indeed some sidewalk riding there, especially for those who
> think they are extreem.

natch

"Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:UK_%[email protected]...
> The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
> Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about an hour away but have never ventured up there due
> to my lack of body armor
( I
> guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not a XC type of place. I asked
> what type of bike he has, he told me he had a full suspension bike . After what seemed like an
> interrogation to find out
what
> he rode the answer I got was he rode a Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
>
> Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
> full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano (I know, flame away).
>
> --
>
> Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

Thanks for the info both sincere and sarcastic. I can now say my website has been endorsed by both
bomba and Rimmer.

Dave Haley

> [email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Nothing wrong at all with a Kona Manomano! I own three, they work great
on sidewalks.

> > Like John had mentioned, there is indeed some sidewalk riding there,
especially for those who think they are extreem.

> natch

I knew someone would guide me to the trails I was looking for. The sidewalks offer a challenge of
moving targets trees and rocks just can't provide.

Dave Haley

> bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > Sarcasm again Harris?
> >
> > Moi?
>
> Oui, toi!
>
> ',;~}
>
> Shaun aRe

Thanks for the compliment. Oh wait, I'll say it your language. Remercie pour le compliment.
Embrasse mon arrière.

Dave Haley

Dave Haley <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > Moi?
> >
> > Oui, toi!
> >
> > ',;~}
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Thanks for the compliment. Oh wait, I'll say it your language.

My language is English.

> Remercie pour le compliment.

I think he was being sarcastic, because your sight has almost nothing on it yet (as far as I could
see). we're like that round here ya know, real mean and stuff. I even once (mebbe more...) told a
guy he smelled of poo.

> Embrasse mon arrière.

You trying to tell me to kiss your **** or summink? (Embrace my back?!?!?) ',;~}

Embrassez _mon_ cul Monsieur Merd.

If that makes any sense at all it's a miracle!

',;~}

Shaun aRe

"Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:UK_%[email protected]...
> > The lunchtime conversation at work turned to biking and one co-worker mentioned he rode at
> > Plattekill a few times last summer. I live about
an
> > hour away but have never ventured up there due to my lack of body armor
> ( I
> > guess I could use my hockey gear) and understanding that this is not a
XC
> > type of place. I asked what type of bike he has, he told me he had a
full
> > suspension bike . After what seemed like an interrogation to find out
> what
> > he rode the answer I got was he rode a Pacific full suspension bike, no helmet, no body armor.
> >
> > Am I being too cautious about what I've heard about Plattekill? My gut tells me my co-worker is
> > full of sh*t. BTW I have a 2002 Kona Manomano
(I
> > know, flame away).
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66
> >

> Thanks for the info both sincere and sarcastic. I can now say my website has been endorsed by both
> bomba and Rimmer.
>
> Dave Haley

oh yeah, that legitimizes it for sure.......right, now about that bridge.

Dave (Let's make a deal...)

> Dave Haley <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Oui, toi!
> > >
> > > ',;~}
> > >
> > > Shaun aRe
> > >

> > Thanks for the compliment. Oh wait, I'll say it your language.
>
> My language is English.
>
> > Remercie pour le compliment.
>
> I think he was being sarcastic, because your sight has almost nothing on
it
> yet (as far as I could see). we're like that round here ya know, real mean and stuff. I even once
> (mebbe more...) told a guy he smelled of poo.
>
> > Embrasse mon arrière.
>
> You trying to tell me to kiss your **** or summink? (Embrace my back?!?!?) ',;~}
>
> Embrassez _mon_ cul Monsieur Merd.
>
> If that makes any sense at all it's a miracle!
>
> ',;~}
>
> Shaun aRe

Makes sense. www.freetranslation.com

I realize my site has almost nothing on it. It's taken a back seat to other priorities. I mean no
offense, just a little sarcastic humor right back.

--

Dave Haley

Dave Haley <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Dave Haley <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Thanks for the compliment. Oh wait, I'll say it your language.
> >
> > My language is English.
> >
> > > Remercie pour le compliment.
> >
> > I think he was being sarcastic, because your sight has almost nothing on
> it
> > yet (as far as I could see). we're like that round here ya know, real
mean
> > and stuff. I even once (mebbe more...) told a guy he smelled of poo.
> >
> > > Embrasse mon arrière.
> >
> > You trying to tell me to kiss your **** or summink? (Embrace my
back?!?!?)
> > ',;~}
> >
> > Embrassez _mon_ cul Monsieur Merd.
> >
> > If that makes any sense at all it's a miracle!
> >
> > ',;~}
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >
> Makes sense. www.freetranslation.com
>
> I realize my site has almost nothing on it. It's taken a back seat to
other
> priorities. I mean no offense, just a little sarcastic humor right back.

Being a Brit, I knew that, and it'd be hard for you to offend me anyhow - I got skin like a rhino
for the most part ',;~}

Shaun aRe