Play in cassette body?

jalabert

Jan 5, 2003
My FRM hub has some play in the cassette body which means that the cassette can "wiggle" a bit. Should this cause problems in any way?

:confused:

Should be ok as cassette runs independantly from the hub spindle bearings, and can float with a bit of movement.

It may play to flush out the cassette with kerosene /parrafin not petrol and a bit of spray on lube such as WD40 and spray on after the dirty gunk clears up.

Relube with Green FINISH LINE or similar heavier bike lube.

If its really bad you can reassemble with new 1/8" tiny ball bearings, but by the sounds of things a good old flush should do the job:cool:

Thx Frejus

I've solved the problem by replacing it with a shimano cassette body which to my surprise was compatibel with the frm hub.
Can I actually change the bearings in a frm cassette body?

Hi I think you can ,now that it is off the hub have a look on the outside edge and there should be a seal , which you can prise off. This should expose a screwed race which can be unscrewed anti clock wise ( lh thread) there will be two notches or indents which will allow a punch to unscrew the race. Inside you will find 1/8" ball bearings on both sides and a set of pawls that engage with notches to drive the wheel forward.

You will now have to hold the cassette body in a vice the do the job use two strips of wood to protect the body from the vice.

There are a lot of bearings and they are loose. When replacing them fill the race up full and take one out imbed them in a light grease to stop them going all over the place....of course clean all the surfaces before replacing them. There will be some shims which allow different settings to take up any wear, you may have to discard one to remove any slopiness when tightening up again. It really doesn't matter if there is a little looseness when reassembled as you will now have new bearings.:cool:

The same proceedure goes for Shimano... a lot of bike shops wont repair them because of the work involved and would rather sell a new unit....some bike shops also don't how to do it.

My 7 speed cassette began to develop a knock only when using the 5th gear and cruising around 24km/h. Had me puzzled for awhile what was causing the knock until I found the cluster was quite sloppy. Removed the thin shim and refitted the bearing cone and no more knock.

So there's a possible thing that can happen if the cassette is too free.

Cheers Ray