Play in forks

Segrott

Jan 5, 2004
When adjusting the steering on my road bike last night I noticed that when the front brake was applied and the weight of the bike was pushed forward that there was a small amount of movement in the forks/headset. Should this be happening? The bike is only 350kms old.
Thanks

Originally posted by Segrott
When adjusting the steering on my road bike last night I noticed that when the front brake was applied and the weight of the bike was pushed forward that there was a small amount of movement in the forks/headset. Should this be happening? The bike is only 350kms old.
Thanks

Absolutely not. At least if you are describing visible play. If you can see it sitting still, it's going to be all over the place whacking a bump at speed.

see:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml
for threadless

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headset.shtml
for threaded

With a ride that new, you might want the LBS to take a gander to make sure that there is not damage. Left that way there certainly will be.

Originally posted by Segrott
Thanks

Your Headset is loose. What you describe is pretty much how you check it. Grab the top of the frame headtube and the headset wrapping your hand around it. Then with the other hand squeeze the front brake and rock the bike forwars and backwards. If you feel play then your headset needs to be adjusted. A small amount of play is not going to be a big deal, but over time it will ruin the bearings so you need to get it properly adjusted.

Any play is BAD and will cause damage in a very short time.

If its threadless, check the top cap to be sure the fork isn't too long. If the cap touches the fork, the steerer is too long. A 5mm spacer under the cap can be used.

Do not ride until this is fixed unless you ride slow and don't mind buying a new headset. This can also affect handling, changing rake on braking which is really bad.

Have you seen the thread I started called "Thriathlon handle bars= play on bearings?"?

I agree with all the above. However after a 350km this is strange.

Do you ride with some sort of thriathlon/ time trial handle bars?

regards, Frank.

I agree with all the above. However after a 350km this is strange.

Not really. Your headset just loosened-up a little. Not that strange for things to loosen up here and there when your breaking in a new bike.