Play in my cassette...

stanngg

Oct 14, 2007
I have a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL. Had them on my old bike with a 9 sp cassatte. Switched out the 9 sp with 10 sp and now there is "play" in the cassette. I added the Mavic spacer along with a small one. barely got the cassette back on...it's better but still has a little play. Is this normal? I don't remember having any movement with the 9 sp...

stanngg said:
I have a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL. Had them on my old bike with a 9 sp cassatte. Switched out the 9 sp with 10 sp and now there is "play" in the cassette. I added the Mavic spacer along with a small one. barely got the cassette back on...it's better but still has a little play. Is this normal? I don't remember having any movement with the 9 sp...
10 speed cassettes are at least 1 mm thinner than 9 speed cassettes. You likely need another spacer.... and it needs to be applied nearest the spokes.

Well, he said he used the Mavic spacer plus a "small one" presumably the Shimano one. Usually that is plenty to sort out Shimano 10-sp cassettes on Mavic freehubs.

If you're still getting some play you may need to add yet another spacer. Be sure though that the play is in the cassette and not just in the freehub body, whic can be deceptive. As long as you can still get the lockring to screw in it should be okay.

Does the freehub body have play? - the inner bush wears, especially if not lubricated every 6 months.

artemidorus said:
Does the freehub body have play? - the inner bush wears, especially if not lubricated every 6 months.
Turns out the play was in the hub. Went to the bike shop today and the cassette was all good. The bike mechanic said that Mavics typically have a little play in the hub. We called Mavic to confirm and they did....so looks like all is well.

stanngg said:
Turns out the play was in the hub. Went to the bike shop today and the cassette was all good. The bike mechanic said that Mavics typically have a little play in the hub. We called Mavic to confirm and they did....so looks like all is well.
OK,
I have just picked up a used set of 07 Ksyrium SL3 and will be installing a 9 speed SRAM cassette, do I need a spacer?

Fujiman said:
OK,
I have just picked up a used set of 07 Ksyrium SL3 and will be installing a 9 speed SRAM cassette, do I need a spacer?
I had a small spacer with my 9 sp cassette. Sorry...not sure of the size...

Fujiman said:
OK,

Yes for the mavic supplied one, no others needed. The teeny 1mm shimano supplied one is for shimano 10s cogsets being installed on otrherwise 8/9s freehub bodies. No need for the thin spacer on shimano 10s specific freehubs like 7800/7810 hubs and their DA and Ultegra wheels.

Peter@vecchios said:
Yes for the mavic supplied one, no others needed. The teeny 1mm shimano supplied one is for shimano 10s cogsets being installed on otrherwise 8/9s freehub bodies. No need for the thin spacer on shimano 10s specific freehubs like 7800/7810 hubs and their DA and Ultegra wheels.
Thanks, got the spacer at LBS, Went for a 38 mile ride, the freewheel is a lot louder while coasting than my other wheels, is this normal for Mavic wheels? Also the rear wheel when off the ground and spinning it by hand does not seem to coast (spin) as long as other wheels, I have adjusted the bearing per the mavic web site but seems to be more drag than I would think ?

Fujiman said:
Thanks, got the spacer at LBS, Went for a 38 mile ride, the freewheel is a lot louder while coasting than my other wheels, is this normal for Mavic wheels? Also the rear wheel when off the ground and spinning it by hand does not seem to coast (spin) as long as other wheels, I have adjusted the bearing per the mavic web site but seems to be more drag than I would think ?

The Mavic freehub is very loud. The drag that you are noticing is probably coming from the inner freehub bush, not the main hub bearings. This is typical of an FTS-L hub, and is not of concern, unless the freehub is overdue (>6 months since) for strip-down and relubrication.

artemidorus said:
The Mavic freehub is very loud. The drag that you are noticing is probably coming from the inner freehub bush, not the main hub bearings. This is typical of an FTS-L hub, and is not of concern, unless the freehub is overdue (>6 months since) for strip-down and relubrication.
Thanks Artemidorus,
The wheels are 2007, with a little less than 500 miles on them, i have read about lubing the bushing inside the freehub every 6 months, guess maybe I should do this now? I was going to wait for a while. If I do what does everyone think about ceramic bearings? I could do the swap while I have the freehub apart.

artemidorus said:
Complete waste of money. I'd just clean and lubricate the freehub innards.
Mavic says lube with their stuff, which from what I understand is mineral oil, others say Pedros Road Rage Lube, LBS do not have either, I use prolink chain lune and it is clear and thin like mineral oil. Any idea of other products?

Thanks

Fujiman said:
Mavic says lube with their stuff, which from what I understand is mineral oil, others say Pedros Road Rage Lube, LBS do not have either, I use prolink chain lune and it is clear and thin like mineral oil. Any idea of other products?

Thanks
Baby oil (mineral oil with perfume). Beware with the Prolink, it is much, much thinner than any mineral oil I've ever seen.

artemidorus said:
My Aksium freehub is very quiet, almost silent. Much, much quieter than my friend's Ksyrium. My new Reynolds hub is very loud - about as loud as the Ksyrium. I have to say, I prefer the quieter ones.

Camilo said:
My Aksium freehub is very quiet, almost silent. Much, much quieter than my friend's Ksyrium.
That's strange, as they both have the same FTS-L freehub mechanism. Well, my Cosmic carbone freehub, at least, is much louder than my Shimano freehubs.

artemidorus said:
That's strange, as they both have the same FTS-L freehub mechanism. Well, my Cosmic carbone freehub, at least, is much louder than my Shimano freehubs.
Yea, I thouht it was odd too. My Aksiums were bought in spring '07. His Ksyriums were bought late summer '07.

Camilo said:
Yea, I thouht it was odd too. My Aksiums were bought in spring '07. His Ksyriums were bought late summer '07.
I re-lubed the bushing with baby oil, still waiting on Pedro’s Road Rage to arrive, but the free hub is not as loud as before and feels smoother.

Also I have another question, when I loosen the bearing hub adjuster all the way out I don't seem to have any more play than when it is only slightly loose? Is this normal, or did the previous owner of the wheel over tighten it and stress the bearing as Mavic states on their site?

Thanks

Fujiman said:
Also I have another question, when I loosen the bearing hub adjuster all the way out I don't seem to have any more play than when it is only slightly loose? Is this normal, or did the previous owner of the wheel over tighten it and stress the bearing as Mavic states on their site?
I'm not sure, but the important question is whether you can remove the play by tightening the preload cap and tightening the skewer.