Play in RST forks

carlukebiker

Jun 14, 2007
Hi all,

new to the forum. Hi :) Just bought a barely used immaculate Ridgeback MX3. This bike has the RST Capa T5 front fork on it. Now I am not too abusive a rider, combined with being poor this is why this lower end fork is fine for me.

However, I find that there is noticeable play in the forks between the stanchions and the outer fork. As I said, the bike is as new and is totally spotless, so clearly this has been the case since it was manufactured.

I contacted Ridgeback who claim it is normal, and most forks will exhibit some play of this type. It just seemed odd to me on unused forks, and also my last bike a Dawes Tamarak did not have any noticeable play like this.

Is it true ? Is this common, 'cause it scared me in case it is a safety issue !

Otherwise I love the bike - it feels great - nice weight, nice frame geometry, lovely gears etc. Shame about the fork. I guess I could upgrade it in the future, but I don;t want to end up in the bushes in the meantime !

As I said I am 'very poorly funded' and I noticed that you can pick up Suntour SR XC60 forks for very little money - wondered if this would be a better bet than the RST's, or would they likely have the same play from new ?

Many thanks in advance, would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has had this or a similar ridgeback bike.

Cheers
Craig

Check your headset preload. Otherwise, RST's low end forks are pretty, well, ****. Don't expect anything great, including erfect manufacturing tolerances. I tried to race RST Gila SL forks and gawd they are flexy, unresponsive, and at some points downright dangerous. On the street they are great though so if it is a path bike, enjoy it and don't worry about it if it isn't the headset.