play in wheel bearing and bottom bracket

baffenfinger

Oct 20, 2003
Is it okay to have some play in the wheel bearings and the bottom bracket?

Normally I would disassemble the bottom bracket and fix the problem but it is stuck and I don’t think it will come apart without a lot of effort.

The movement for the wheel would be about 1/2 a millimeter and just enough to make a noise if I wobble the wheel. The cranks move less than that and just enough to make a noise when I move them side-to-side.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andrew

Originally posted by baffenfinger
Is it okay to have some play in the wheel bearings and the bottom bracket?

Normally I would disassemble the bottom bracket and fix the problem but it is stuck and I don’t think it will come apart without a lot of effort.

The movement for the wheel would be about 1/2 a millimeter and just enough to make a noise if I wobble the wheel. The cranks move less than that and just enough to make a noise when I move them side-to-side.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andrew
Should be no play in either when properly installed. Wheel bearings may have slight play before the QR is tightened,and the clamping of the QR removes the play.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Should be no play in either when properly installed. Wheel bearings may have slight play before the QR is tightened,and the clamping of the QR removes the play.

You should adjust them to remove play. Play increases wear.
Now that you know about the situation you should care for it even though the BB may be hard to access.

if you're not comfortable adjusting bearings, you might want to take it to your LBS. overtightened bearings aren't good either.