playing with a twistie-tie

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mark Miller, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Mark Miller

Mark Miller Guest

If you shape a twistie-tie like a flattened out "W", did you know you can balance that thing on the
    edge of a piece of paper? Of course the flatter you make it, the more difficult it is to balance.
    But even with a slight bend, it balances MUCH better than with it flattened completely. In fact, I
    didn't even have to spend any time at all thinking about how to balance it. It seemed to balance on
    it's own. Where have I seen that flattened-out "W" profile before?

Ok Larry. Since you indulged me a couple years back on my "tied-ankle" drill, I figure I owe you
    some ratios on the kicking vs. full-stroke. (I hate wearing a watch in the pool, and for kicking
    sets a calendar would be a more appropriate measurement device.) Report to follow.

-- Mark

Tags:

2. From: "Mark Miller" <another of his interesting "Mr. Wizard" type experiments snipped, but not
    forgotten>

The immortal Mark Miller, discoverer of "Miller Torque," and one of my true swimming heroes.

Thank you, once again, for your exceptional contribution, which was certainly a breakthrough
    in my own understanding, and, eventually, I think, to the understanding of the swimming
    community at large.

I'll look forward to trying the "twistie-tie" exercise and to learning of your kick/swim ratios.

Larry Weisenthal

Certitude is poison; curiosity is life