Please can you help... Squeeky saddle or seat post!!

Midlifecyclist

Oct 17, 2010
I do about 1,600 miles a year to try and fight off middle age spread. I am being driven mad by a squeek that has appeared when I sit on the saddle and cycle. I am sure it is the saddle, seat post or the braket holding th saddle, as when I cycle standing up the squeek disapears. I have recently had my bike serviced, which included full lube and new parts etc.

The squeek has appeared before and seemed to partially cured by extra lube on the seat post. It then appeared again, this time I used a teflon spray on the underside of the seat, again it disappeared for a while. Last night I swpped the seat for another spare seat, but it now sqeeks even more.

One of my concerns is that some time ago i tried to insert a suspension seat, but the post was too big, so this may have expanded the seat post tube on the bike. is there a way of checking the seat post tube lip has not been stretched?

Would it be worth starting from scratch with a new seat post and seat?

Any advice would be very gratefully received

Many thanks

Chris

You can check your seat tube ID with a pair of calipers. If you're getting the squeek with both saddles, I doubt that you need to replace the saddles. Try lubing everything, seat post, seat clamp, saddle rails, anything that moves, and see if it quiets it. Make sure that your seat clamp is tight on the saddle rails, and make sure that your saddle tilt adjustment mechanism is seated correctly and clamped down tight. If this works, you will probably have to repeat this each time you change saddles.

I fixed mine by putting lube where the bracket bolts to the underside of the seat. I just used the oil I lube my chain with. I also tightened the nuts that hold the bracket to the seat just a little they really weren't that lose.

Originally Posted by Midlifecyclist .

Thanks very much for the advice, I will give it a go at the weekend.

Many thanks again
Wait, you didn't mention if your bike is carbon or what. If carbon on carbon then Finish Line makes a product called Fiber Grip that not only prevents the seat post from slipping but sometimes is effective against squeeks.

Also in most CF bikes there is a metal sleeve that is bonded to the CF seat tube frame to support the CF tubing when clamping a seat post in and to prevent the seat tube from cracking from tensioning the seat post in snug. This sleeve extends down past the bottom of the top tube. Anyway sometimes from either over tightening, or like what you did put a larger seat post in then what was suppose to go in the sleeve gets loose because the bond between it and the frame tube fails. You can either have the sleeve rebonded in if it's too loose and can be removed, or if not then you need to buy a torque wrench, then back the binder all the way out, then torque the bolt to recommended specs for your frame.

Hi All,

Finally solved the problem... I bought a new seat post and clamp... This one is much sturdier and has done the trick. Thanks you all for your advice. All I can hear now is the gentle hum of tyre on tarmac... Bliss!! Now I am after a recharge front light, but wife and children spend all my money... Is there anything usable out there for around the £100.00??

Many thanks

Originally Posted by Midlifecyclist .

Hi All,

Finally solved the problem... I bought a new seat post and clamp... This one is much sturdier and has done the trick. Thanks you all for your advice. All I can hear now is the gentle hum of tyre on tarmac... Bliss!! Now I am after a recharge front light, but wife and children spend all my money... Is there anything usable out there for around the £100.00??

Many thanks
I think a hundred pounds is about $150 American dollars? Close enough. There's a light made by Cygolite called the ExpiliOn 250 with 250 lumens of light power. It has a internal rechargeable battery thus no wires and no battery attachements. It's very bright, I have one that's how I know, there are six settings high, med, low, daylight flash, walking and sos (the last two are a waste), a fully charged battery will last 3 hours on high and 10 on low, and take 5 hours to recharge with the included smart charger. Cygolite sells replacement batteries for it if you want an extra battery to have on standby. The bracket is very well made and so far after 5 months of use it seems rugged. I paid $119 on sale so do a web search to get the best deal.

Or find another light you think may be better for your needs.