Please comment on my weight loss plan

Molala2

Sep 24, 2012
Dear everyone,

I am a 34 years old man, aged 34, 5"11' tall and weight 220 pounds. I started cycling since around November last year and uptill now i have only lost 6 pounds. Obviously this is disappointing.

When i started cycling i couldnt finish 10KM without taking breaks. Now i can do 5K warm up, 20 km at 27km/h followed by a 5k cool down. I ride about 4-5 times a week. Given that my exercise has increased with time i have no clue why my weight lost was so limited.

After scanning some threads in this forum i came to the idea that before anything meaningful can happen i DO need to read some Kcal charts about food. After i have done that i came to the conclusion that my Kcal intake is still on the high side. My plan to modify my diet and exercise is as follows:

cut 4 cups of coffee, about 150 Kcal each, = cut 600Kcal. (i came to the conclusion that my sugar drinking is the culprit of my failure)
lunch volume cut half = cut 250Kcal.
an additional session on the trainer everymorning = cut 400Kcal.

This is just guesswork and i only hope that in reality it will cut 800Kcal daily from me. I think it is ok not to drink coffee tho life could a lot more dull. As to lunch i also think it is ok to cut half. I will still have enough nutrition.

please let me have your comments and thank you for your time. btw i am not a native speaker of english so bear with me if there is anythign in this post u dun understand...

You need to provide some context for the numbers you've given. How many calories are you consuming each day? How long are your rides? Are they hilly, flat, mountainous? Note that it's not unusual at all to gain some weight when you start cycling. For a given volume, muscle weighs more than fat. Riding can/will build muscle, so if you're gaining muscle quicker than you're losing fat, you'll have a net gain in weight. No matter what, to lose weight you need to not only exercise but eat the right foods, eat in moderation, get plenty of sleep, among other things.

Eat less. Ride more.

How you get to that point is upto you. I find the plan for effective weight loss is to eat less during the day and don't stay upto late. If I do then I get overly tired and I start to nibble on snacks... If I do go to bed at a reasonable hour then I don't seem to miss the late night munchies and feel OK in the morning. After a while you get used to it.

If you eat out lots then rather than eating most of the stuff on your plate and leaving some to tempt you into munching on the rest as you wait for others, just eat slowly and when everyone else is done, leave whatever is left and just stop eating. Get the waiter/waitress to grab the plate before temptation kicks in.

Avoid alcohol with, or before, food. Avoiding alcohol is a good step in losing weight. I'm alcohols' ***** - so I need to ride hard to give me a good 'distraction'. If my legs hurt enough then I don't have the desire to walk to the fridge for a frosty brew, a bottle of wine or a 1/2 bottle of vodka... After a couple of weeks doing without becomes normal.

Make that 20km a 40km ride at the same pace. It'll likely hurt a bit - but you'll get over it. ;)

cutted 1/2 sugar drink intake from my diet today...couple days later perhaps from this weekend onward i will cut them all off.