Please don't laugh!

ha ha ha cheeky..........now i know where I have been going wrong gotta get out of nsw and go to tasmania.....ill be on flight 723 tomorrow come and get me he he he oh if your in Tasmania listen to fm95.3 (geeveston/hobart) fm103.7 (launceston) or fm 106.1 (wynyard) every sunday and monday nights 12am to Rig Radio Australia or you can send a request australia only 1300 551102 cheering
Originally posted by Spider1977
Stavrast if you are working out on an indoor bike and an indoor rowing machine you are missing out on two great experiences. Not only should you get on your road bike, but I'd recommend you hava a go at rowing as well. Masters rowing has taken off in Australia and elsewhere in the world. Most clubs are only too happy to get new members, no matter their age or fitness. The good thing is that you will have two great sports which work similar muscles and your fitness will improve very quickly (you'll turn fat into muscle - and lose a bit of excess weight as well). You'll probably find that a lot of rowers like to ride as well, so you'll pick up some buddies to crunch out the kms on the road.

By the way I wasn't sad to see Tasmania left off the map. The beauty of this place is we have it all to ourselves (doesn't help the economy that much but the roads are relatively free for a bike ride sans vehicles). Look how many great cyclists have come out of Tasmania and now we have 14 rowers in Australian crews. We don't have to be on the map to make our mark!

Spider

STAVRAST

Great job on droppin' the weight. To keep it off don't forget the weights. If you are not training to become a professional cyclist don't worry to much about the warning you hear about doing weights and cycling training. The truth is that by themselves both are very good for your health. However, aerobics and strength training together is the combination you will have to deploy to keep your weight off. Building your lean muscle mass with weights then "burning" them with aerobics is a surefire way to maintain good health from this point on.

WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT / REALITY:
If you feel like working out is becoming a chore, well guess again, it is. Simply put, you will have to do it the rest of your life to stay fit and healthy. It is not easy to stay in this "club" but the benefits greatly outweigh the toil.

Welcome to the club STAVRAST!

CatSpin

PS - Now start to read up about nutrition...without proper nutrition you are VERY susceptible to putting all that weight back on again.

Guys, once again you came through with good advice regarding my choosing a bike and proper dieting tips so I can get on the darn thing. I keep looking for a decent bike.
Now, when it comes to dieting and training, what I do is about an hour every day (6 or 7 days a week) on my extremely fast, ha,ha, exercise bike, (around 20 miles it says but I have read enough on this board so as not to trust it)and every other day I do a little of Total Gym training, weights, and ab exercises. I have lost around 10 lbs in two weeks, believe it or not! I have cut down on '**** intake', eat lots of veggies, some carbohydrates, little protein, and almost no fat. Nothing special. And I try not to think of food. Let me tell you a little secret: one of the major reasons a person is obese is because he/she thinks constantly of food. It's a friggin addiction. All day long thinking about what the hell you're going to eat next...I could easily write a book about this nightmare. And anyone out there who used to be overweight knows what I'm talking about. Anyway, I'm trying to cure myself.
I have something to ask you: how does lower back pain correlate to riding? Is there a high weight:more pain ratio? Because I've been feeling it for the past two days. I've had back problems in the past. I was out for two weeks with extreme back pain last January. But I also did something extremely stupid last Friday. I threw out an old refrigerator by myself. I actually took the friggin thing, flipped it over four times and then pushed it up my driveway so that the recycling guys could take it on Monday. It didn't bother me at the time. But Sunday and today (Monday) it killed me. I also disregarded the pain Sunday and trained like an idiot. Monday I didn't. So please tell me that it was the refrigerator that did it and not the exercises... I am on a roll now and about to buy a bike. I won't stop now, no matter what.
Again, thanks for the good advice. I know that most of you are probably semi-professional riders and couldn't give a **** about an fat amateur on an exercise bike. Yet, you find the time to help. Being a New Yorker I'm just not used to this and I appreciate it extremely.

Congratulations on changing your diet and sticking with the bike. Bad, bad man for mucking around with a humungous fridge on your own. Haven't you heard of a trolley. Man invented the wheel for precisely this sort of thing!

I reckon it was the fridge that did your back. I'm sure your weight doesn't help, remember your spine has to cope with all that stuff hanging off it. Just remember to listen to your body. Manouevering a heavy weight around is a guaranteed way to strain a few body parts, especially if you don't use correct techniques -as the swiss ski intructor says BEND ZE KNEES.

Aches and pains are usually a sure sign you have overdone it. You leave yourself especially vulnerable if you don't warm up. I guarantee you didn't warm up before frigging around with the frigging fridge. However, there are good pains and bad pains. When you get fitter, there is no nicer feeling than the ache in your muscles from a good workout - I guess it comes from the lactate build up in your muscles. It's a message that you've worked hard. Doing warm downs helps get rid of a lot of this.

Back to your program, I was serious when I said not to overdo it. Start off at a level you can handle. But don't take my advice Stavrast. It sounds as if you are really serious about getting off the weight and getting on a real bike. If I was you, I'd spend a $100 on going to see a fitness advisor and get him/her to make up a program for you. That way you'll have some realistic goals. If you have a regular review then you'll feel more motivated to achieve them because there'll be someone who checks how you're going.

Most of all, stick at it buddy. You've gathered quite a bit of support out here in cyber world.

Spider1977

PS I'm a rank amateur at cycling having only just recently started myself, but I'm one of those people who has always been relatively fit and never had a weight problem.

Spider1977, thank you for the kind words man. I think it was the stupid fridge! I did exercise yesterday without major troubles. My back was a little sore afterwards and I do feel it today but I'm still planning on exercising this afternoon.(it would be a nice birthday gift to myself!). I'm continuing to lose the pounds. Rapidly!

I wasn't always fat man. At the age of 18 I was a green belt in a martial art called Chinese Kenpo. (It's a mixture between traditional Kenpo and american boxing) Two belts away from black belt. However, my family moved to Houston, Texas and I couldn't find a school with my specific style there, I tried other styles, didn't like them, and gave it up. I was in tremendous shape back then. But, we're talking 16 years ago... I never took up my sport again and began gaining weight little by little. Any biking I did, because I was on a bike back then, I stopped after being hit by a motherf#$%r...Barely hit, mind you, scratches only, but it scared me to death. Once I started driving, I gave the bike to my little brother.

I now know that from a fitness point of view cycling is the best thing that I can do for myself. I just can't believe how fast I'm shedding the weight. And I still have a long way to go. But this is between me and my self...

I'm looking for a bike. Anything would do, I think, for the moment. Something fast, maybe an 18 speed bike. I have to get into it slowly. Day by day. Get back the feel of it. Get outside and find a path that's somewhat safe while it presents a mixture of easiness and difficulty in riding. I also have to find out how to calculate the miles I'm doing. I'll find it on this board somewhere, I'm sure. I have found tremendous amounts of info here. What's encouraging is that even though I'm doing an exercise bike, I'm not bored. Maybe because I have a goal in mind. So if this is not boring, imagine when I get outside in the fresh air. Ok. Talk to you later man.