Please follow the rules of the road

Originally Posted by CyclinYooper .

I think the negative reaction your getting here, is due to the manner in which this entire post was delivered.

Think about the manner in which feedback is effectively delivered. Typically, coaching/feedback should only be delivered to the specific people to which it applies (I never thought I'd be pulling "work" talk into a cycling forum). If feedback is delivered "blanket" style, as in this post ("FYI, these cyclists we're breaking the law, so you all need to remember to obey the law" - forgive me for paraphrasing), it's very normal for the people that don't need feedback to react with a little outrage.

For example, if everyone in a classroom takes an exam honestly, except one cheating student, and the teacher comes in the next day and scolds the entire class ... 99% of the students are going to be like, "WTF? Why am I getting yelled at? I did everything right?!" The teacher should have have had a private discussion with just the cheater.

My assumption, from reading many posts on here, is that many of the posters are very concerned with health/safety, and therefore follow road law pretty closely. When I read the initial post, my gut reaction was, "thanks for the FYI, why are we being chastised for a bunch of NY riders." Maybe others reacted similarly?

In any case, it seems like perhaps you could have asked one of the cyclists what event they were riding and then contacted the event coordinator offline to express your concerns. Then the feedback is going to right people, the event riders may end up safer, and the motorists are happier too!

Scott

The initial post was intended to be a reminder to all cyclists in general. And what you said does make sense, but you have to understand that it works both ways. In other words, my post didn't point to anyone specific, so some of the reactions here seem to have been taken far too personally. There's nothing wrong with generalizing when it comes to safety on the roads because it affects all of us. As for anyone taking my words as "scolding" them, well, that's just silly. My initial post was calmy written without pointing a finger at anyone specific. I posted the same exact thread on another forum and quite a few of the members there agreed with me and actually supported what I wrote. In fact, some of them thanked me for creating the thread. Of course I got some similar reactions/responses similar to the majority here, but I'm guessing the members on the other forum are either older and have more experience as road cyclists because they were much more receptive overall compared to the folks here.

Now I guess I should just wait to be flamed for saying the members of the other forum are more mature....so predictable!

Originally Posted by Even Steven .

No change...there was simple more than one purpose to honking the horn. Not everything in this world has just one purpose. Not only did the horn warn them of my presence, but hopefully it also woke them up to the fact that they were impeding traffic. Why is that so hard to understand?
Why is it so hard to admit you acted aggressively by blaring the horn during the entire pass of the cyclists? You were ****** off because of the inconvenience, and the blaring horn allowed you to vent your anger. The fact that it may have warned (scared) the cyclists of your presence is strictly a secondary effect, as I'm sure it also warned stray dogs and cats in the area. No, there was only one real "purpose" for your action: retaliation for being wronged.

And that, in a nutshell, is why you will gain little symphony from most people on a cycling forum.

Please follow the rules of the road - Page 5 Are you suggesting your dangerous and illegal actions were motivated by reason?? Excuse me for thinking you were impatient but I can't think of another reason for your actions.

Have you considered my thoughts on a driver's ability to remain rational when stuck in traffic? Do you think that would be a valuable skill for you to learn?

My fellow cyclists:

At no point did I see a single cyclist make any attempt to yield to motor vehicle traffic, despite the fact that there were several vehicles behind them that were averaging approximately 15 MPH because they were unable to pass.
Did the thought ever enter your mind that this line of traffic behind the cyclist were motorist acting responsibly. This major inconvenience most likely set you back five minutes in your day. You have now wasted several hours of your life trying to justify your actions. Your behavior is the only thing you had control of in this situation you failed to do so. You have no control over anyone else never mind a 100 cyclist so you should just drop it.

Reactions: qdc15
Originally Posted by Scotty_Dog .

Why is it so hard to admit you acted aggressively by blaring the horn during the entire pass of the cyclists? You were ****** off because of the inconvenience, and the blaring horn allowed you to vent your anger. The fact that it may have warned (scared) the cyclists of your presence is strictly a secondary effect, as I'm sure it also warned stray dogs and cats in the area. No, there was only one real "purpose" for your action: retaliation for being wronged.

And that, in a nutshell, is why you will gain little symphony from most people on a cycling forum.
How about you don't tell me why I did something or how I felt about it? Okay? You can ask me and I'll be more than happy to tell you (which I've already done several times), but if you think I was angry and honked the horn out of anger, you're dead wrong and your ignorance is astounding.

If you want to think you know more than I do about why I did something or how I felt about it, then we have nothing left to talk about.

Originally Posted by qdc15 .

Please follow the rules of the road - Page 5 Are you suggesting your dangerous and illegal actions were motivated by reason?? Excuse me for thinking you were impatient but I can't think of another reason for your actions.

Have you considered my thoughts on a driver's ability to remain rational when stuck in traffic? Do you think that would be a valuable skill for you to learn?

My actions would have never taken place at all if not for the actions of the cyclists. That's an undeniable fact. Sorry if you can't wrap you head around that very simple concept.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Did the thought ever enter your mind that this line of traffic behind the cyclist were motorist acting responsibly. This major inconvenience most likely set you back five minutes in your day. You have now wasted several hours of your life trying to justify your actions. Your behavior is the only thing you had control of in this situation you failed to do so. You have no control over anyone else never mind a 100 cyclist so you should just drop it.
Wrong on all accounts:

1- The line of traffic wasn't constant. Motorists were passing the cyclists one by one when they dared. Like I said, it wasn't the safest situation, so some motorists waited longer than others to pass. I witnessed several of them pass before I passed, and some of them were visibly angry based on their speed and proximity to the cyclists. So basically, I'd say that none of the motorists acted responsibly since they all passed illegally. What amazed me is that the cyclists continued their behavior after being intentionally buzzed by a few cars.

2- I didn't have to be anywhere, so I wasn't worried about how much time I was set back. This was New Years Day, so no work to worry about and no time constraints. At the same time, it's not fun driving 15 mph for mile after mile because a bunch of cyclists are blocking the road.

3- I haven't wasted a single minute of my life on this forum or any other. My thread isn't a waste of my time at all. It has a purpose and it has served it's purpose well as far as I'm concerned. And I've said this before, but I guess I should say it again for those of you who just can't seem to get it--I'm not justifying my actions. I make no apologies for the way I behaved. I'd do the same thing tomorrow whether you (or anyone else) likes it or not.

4- Of course I controlled my behavior. I made a choice. That's choice was under my control. Like I said, I'd do it all again, the same exact way.

Your entire post is full of fallacies and misconceptions about me and about the events that transpired that particular day.

Originally Posted by CyclinYooper .

... When I read the initial post, my gut reaction was, "thanks for the FYI, why are we being chastised for a bunch of NY riders." ...

Is this a regional forum? If not, how do you know that there aren't any NY cyclists who are members here? And how do you know none of them were on that particular group ride?

If you want to think you know more than I do about why I did something or how I felt about it, then we have nothing left to talk about.
Then scoot off back to your hole then. You're obviously making no connections here. Toodles.

Your entire post is full of fallacies and misconceptions about the me and about the events that transpired that particular day.
I feel that my post has more merit than anything you have posted as of yet.

How do you know the other motorist were angry?
Five minute inconvenience.
Your wasting your time.
You acted irresponsibly.
There's no way in hell you are going to change the behavior of 100 cyclist.

Bla bla bla blah, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, give it a rest already damn this whole thing is just getting on my tits now, how old are you people come on...it feels like we have gone back to kindergarten

Originally Posted by tottenham21 .

Bla bla bla blah, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, give it a rest already damn this whole thing is just getting on my tits now, how old are you people come on...it feels like we have gone back to kindergarten
Here's the easy fix: don't read it. That will keep your tits from getting sore.

Why post here about this if you don't want to be challenged? Not everyone sitting in traffic is ****** off with the world and wants to kill cyclists, most are patient, others deal with it, very few get ****** enough to post about it on the interweb.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Then scoot off back to your hole then. You're obviously making no connections here. Toodles.

Connections? That's funny. You obviously don't get it.

Originally Posted by davereo .

I feel that my post has more merit than anything you have posted as of yet.

How do you know the other motorist were angry?

I already explained that. It's pretty obvious that some of the other motorists were angry by their actions. Passing at a high rate of speed and at a close proximity to the cyclists would make any rational and intelligent person believe that some (notice this is the second time I said "some") motorists were angry. Either way, I was there and you were not, so I'd say that I had a better idea than you what was going on. The only thing you know about the situation is what I've told you.

Five minute inconvenience.

With nowhere particular to be and no time to be there, that's not an inconvenience. It's not even a delay, as far as I'm concerned. Either way, I was there and you were not, so I'd say that I had a better idea than you what was going on. The only thing you know about the situation is what I've told you.

Your wasting your time.

Wasn't a waste of time then and it's not a waste of time now. If I felt it was a waste of time, I certainly wouldn't be typing this right now. Ironically, if you think this is a waste of time, then why are you wasting yours?

You acted irresponsibly.

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that the cyclists acted irresponsibly and because of their irresponsible actions, everyone involved was put in a dangerous situation. My pass was definitely more responsible than some of the others I witnessed that day. And you know what? I was there and you were not, so I'd say that I had a better idea than you what was going on. The only thing you know about the situation is what I've told you.

There's no way in hell you are going to change the behavior of 100 cyclist.

That's okay, if I helped to change the behavior of just one of them, then mission accomplished. And if just one cyclist reads this thread and thinks about road safety, then mission accomplished.

Originally Posted by ambal .

Why post here about this if you don't want to be challenged? Not everyone sitting in traffic is ****** off with the world and wants to kill cyclists, most are patient, others deal with it, very few get ****** enough to post about it on the interweb.

I don't mind discussing this with anyone who participates. It's not about being challenged. But don't tell me why I did something and/or how I felt about it because nobody knows that except me.

And are you suggesting that I wanted to kill cyclists? Seriously?

By the way, the only people here who seem even a little ****** off are the few members who respond by saying that I am "venting my rage" by posting here. Yet I haven't posted a single thing that would indicate rage to any intelligent person.

I'm willing to bet your not a cyclist, and if you do ride, it's very rarely.

You should also lean the very simple technique for quoting people in the forum. It's really easy, and doesn't require the use of a red font. My daughter's 14, and she could have figured it out on her own several years ago.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I'm willing to bet your not a cyclist, and if you do ride, it's very rarely.

You should also lean the very simple technique for quoting people in the forum. It's really easy, and doesn't require the use of a red font. My daughter's 14, and she could have figured it out on her own several years ago.

You'd lose that bet. I ride regularly, even in the winter when conditions permit. There's never been a time in my life when I didn't ride, at least since I got my first bike at 5 years of age. Years ago I shifted much more towards trails than roads, but cyclist is a cyclist, no matter what terrain we ride.

As for quotation technique, it's my choice. If you don't like it, then don't read it. That's your choice.

By the way, I'm riding later today with some friends on some local rail trails. It's a nice sunny day here in NY and there's no rain in the forecast. Plus it has been quite mild for the season. Anyway, lucky for us, we have some really decent rail trails around here. We're starting off in Northvale NJ and riding up to the end of the trail in Haverstraw NY. Then we turn around and ride back. It's only 30 or 35 miles (something like that), but it's 95% trails and very little road riding.

You'd lose that bet. I ride regularly, even in the winter when conditions permit. There's never been a time in my life when I didn't ride, at least since I got my first bike at 5 years of age. Years ago I shifted much more towards trails than roads, but cyclist is a cyclist, no matter what terrain we ride.

As for quotation technique, it's my choice. If you don't like it, then don't read it. That's your choice.
Well, you've certainly built credibility here, so there's no doubt everyone will believe what you say. You've been such a valuable forum member so far, what with only being able to contribute to a single thread.

Here's a picture that sums up this thread:

And here's what cyclists think every time they hear a motorist lay on the horn: