Please give me some advice on upgrading my bike

jim mccycle

Nov 22, 2005
I have a fuji silhouette '04 hybrid bike (see picture and specs below). I'm relatively new to cycling so I'm hoping that someone can tell me if I convert the handlebars to drops (for about$300) I'll have a pretty good road bike suitable for touring. Alternatively I could sell it in and get something similar to a specialized allez '06.

As I said I'm new to cycling and despite reading as much information as I can the specs still mean very little to me so I'm banking on you guys to help.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers

Frameset

Sizes

15", 17", 19", 21", 23"

Color(s)

Matte Black

Main frame

Fuji Altair 2 custom butted 7000 series aluminum with PowerDiamond down tube, Double water bottle mounts

Rear triangle

Fuji Altair 1 custom tapered 7000 series aluminum, Fuji forged road dropout with replaceable derailleur hanger

Fork

Fuji Aero aluminum, 1 1/8"

Drivetrain
Crankset

RPM Forged Road, 30/42/52 aluminum chainrings

Bottom bracket

Sealed cartridge, 116mm

Pedals

Wellgo WPD-919 clipless

Front derailleur

Shimano, FD-443, 31.8mm

Rear derailleur

Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed, GS cage for triple

Shifters

Shimano Rapid Fire, SL-R440, 9-speed

Cassette/freewheel

Shimano CS-HG50-9, 9-speed, 12/25

Chain

KMC Z-9000, 9-Speed

Wheelset
Front hub

Alex A-Class, 28H

Rear hub

Alex A-Class, 32H

Spokes

14g Stainless

Rims

Alex A-Class double wall aluminum

Tires

Kenda Kontender, 700 X 26c

Features
Brake set

Tektro Mini-V, forged aluminum with modulator front and rear

Brake levers

Tektro Aluminum for V-brake

Headset

Integrated Road, with convex hollow alloy 25mm spacer

Handlebar

Fuji Double Butted aluminum, No rise, 560mm

Stem

Ritchey Threadless, Forged Aluminum

Tape/grip

Fuji High Density foam

Saddle

Fuji UltraLite Racing, Cro-Moly rails

Seat post

Ritchey Forged aluminum, 300mm

Seat clamp

Aluminum 31.8mm Quick Release

Frame Weight, lb./kg.

3.6/1.64

Complete Bike Weight, lb./kg.

21.6/9.82

yes you can just buy some handle bars with drops on them from the local bike shop, but you may want the mechanics to do it because you need to re-route the gears......get a quote because it may be expensive but it's definately do-able just get your multi-tool on to the the brace in the middle of the handle bars and they come right off

Iron Man said:
yes you can just buy some handle bars with drops on them from the local bike shop, but you may want the mechanics to do it because you need to re-route the gears......get a quote because it may be expensive but it's definately do-able just get your multi-tool on to the the brace in the middle of the handle bars and they come right off
Cheers for the advice, I've checked and it's going to cost about $300 to get the handlebars, Tiagra STI levers, some sort of kit to be able to use the v type brakes with the STI levers + the cost of labour.
It seems expensive but I'm willing to pay it if it is a better option than buying a a new road bike.
What do you think?

jim mccycle said:
Cheers for the advice, I've checked and it's going to cost about $300 to get the handlebars, Tiagra STI levers, some sort of kit to be able to use the v type brakes with the STI levers + the cost of labour.
It seems expensive but I'm willing to pay it if it is a better option than buying a a new road bike.
What do you think?
Your bike has Tektro "Mini V" brakes, which were designed to work with road levers without the added complication of an adapter.

Some suggestions:

Instead of Tiagra STI, think about a set of Shimano 9 speed barend shifters or a set of Shimano 9 speed DT shifters mounted on Kelly Take-offs. For brake levers, a set of Tektro road levers are a good choice and a good value. Shimano has some offerings, too, but for a bit more $. All this will be less expensive than Tiagra STI and offers the added option of friction shifting should something go awry on a tour. Better long term reliability/durability, too.

If you are going to be going "loaded" touring, you'll want lower gearing than the 30/25 you now have. Using the shifter options I suggested allows greater freedom of choice in chainrings, so think about swapping the 30T inner ring for a 24T. You might also want a bigger cog in the rear. Also, I have no direct experience with how your wheels will hold up under loaded touring, but the low spoke count doesn't auger well. Wider tires would be a good idea, too.

If any of this is of interest and you need more info, let me know.

Excellent points from OB here. Would make sense to me to modify your hybrid into a touring bike with the reliable downtube or barend shifters for minimal investment. The STI shifters add a lot of expense, and you don't need them for tour riding anyway. Several guys here have DT or bar end shifters on their touring bikes. Better to save your money for a stronger set of wheels (and tires) which you'll need as you start racking up the miles as he suggests.

On the other hand, if you really want a road/race bike, ie, something for fast club rides, then I'd just buy the new Allez you've been checking out. Your current hybrid would be great to keep as is for a spare/bad weather/errand/beater bike...everybody needs more than one anyway.

Ozark Bicycle said:
Your bike has Tektro "Mini V" brakes, which were designed to work with road levers without the added complication of an adapter.

Some suggestions:

Instead of Tiagra STI, think about a set of Shimano 9 speed barend shifters or a set of Shimano 9 speed DT shifters mounted on Kelly Take-offs. For brake levers, a set of Tektro road levers are a good choice and a good value. Shimano has some offerings, too, but for a bit more $. All this will be less expensive than Tiagra STI and offers the added option of friction shifting should something go awry on a tour. Better long term reliability/durability, too.

If you are going to be going "loaded" touring, you'll want lower gearing than the 30/25 you now have. Using the shifter options I suggested allows greater freedom of choice in chainrings, so think about swapping the 30T inner ring for a 24T. You might also want a bigger cog in the rear. Also, I have no direct experience with how your wheels will hold up under loaded touring, but the low spoke count doesn't auger well. Wider tires would be a good idea, too.

If any of this is of interest and you need more info, let me know.
Cheers for the advice, I'm thinking now that I'll probably sell on the fuji and save up for the specialized. It would be different if I could install the parts myself but I'm worried I'd just mess up the bike beyond repair.
Anyway, cheers, I appreciate your replies.

dhk said:
Excellent points from OB here. Would make sense to me to modify your hybrid into a touring bike with the reliable downtube or barend shifters for minimal investment. The STI shifters add a lot of expense, and you don't need them for tour riding anyway. Several guys here have DT or bar end shifters on their touring bikes. Better to save your money for a stronger set of wheels (and tires) which you'll need as you start racking up the miles as he suggests.

On the other hand, if you really want a road/race bike, ie, something for fast club rides, then I'd just buy the new Allez you've been checking out. Your current hybrid would be great to keep as is for a spare/bad weathe
r/errand/beater bike...everybody needs more than one anyway.
Cheers for the advice, I'm thinking now that I'll probably sell on the fuji and save up for the specialized. I'd like to have both but not enough $$$ at the moment. I have an old mountain bike which I'll probably use to commute. It would be different if I could install the parts myself but I'm worried I'd just mess up the bike beyond repair.
Anyway, cheers, I appreciate your replies.