Please help! Cannondale F300 or Trek 4500?

marxxx

Apr 3, 2004
Hello,

I am new to mountain bikes in general. I have been looking for a good quality entry level bike. I have looked at the trek 4300 and 4500, the gt avalanche 2.0 with disc brakes, specialized, and cannondale F300. What would you recommend.

I can get the cannondale for about the same price as the trek 4500, both of which are $100 more than the GT.

Here are some specs:

Cannondale F300
Double butted frame
Manitou axle comp Fork
Mavic X139 rims
Shimano RM-40 Hubs
IRC Mythos XC tires
Wellgo alloy cage pedals
Sugino X150 Crank
Shimano Alivio Front derailleur
Shimano Deore Rear derailleur
Shimano Alivio shifters
Ritchey SC Handlebars
Cannondale Expert Brakeset
Head set TH 1 1/8" in adapter cups
$450 for a 2003 model

Gt Avalanche 2.0GT Triple triangle 6061 butted frame
Zero stack headset
Rock Shox Judy TT Fork w/ preload adjustment
Shimano 24 spd Drivetrain w alivio rear derailleur EF 29 shifters
Shimano M-475 Mechanical Disc Brakes
Alloy ATB rims Formula disc hubs
Tioga factory extreme XC tires
$320

Trek 4500
Alpha SL Aluminum frame
Rock Shox Judy TT Fork
Alloy front hub, Shimano rear hub Matrix 750 rims
Shimano MC08 Crankset
Shimano Deore rear Derailleur
$420

Of course there are 1000 other choices. I also have a local dealer with both haro and jamis bikes. I will look at those as well, but I am strongly leaning toward the F300. This is the top of my price range right now, so I can't go any further up the ladder. I am hoping to get a good solid bike to start with that I can either replace or upgrade as needed.
I will not be doing a crazy stuff on this bike, but I assume I will do my share of trail riding as well as the occassional make your own trail...

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

marxxx

Originally posted by marxxx
Hello,

I am new to mountain bikes in general. I have been looking for a good quality entry level bike. I have looked at the trek 4300 and 4500, the gt avalanche 2.0 with disc brakes, specialized, and cannondale F300. What would you recommend.

I can get the cannondale for about the same price as the trek 4500, both of which are $100 more than the GT.

Here are some specs:

Cannondale F300
Double butted frame
Manitou axle comp Fork
Mavic X139 rims
Shimano RM-40 Hubs
IRC Mythos XC tires
Wellgo alloy cage pedals
Sugino X150 Crank
Shimano Alivio Front derailleur
Shimano Deore Rear derailleur
Shimano Alivio shifters
Ritchey SC Handlebars
Cannondale Expert Brakeset
Head set TH 1 1/8" in adapter cups
$450 for a 2003 model

Gt Avalanche 2.0GT Triple triangle 6061 butted frame
Zero stack headset
Rock Shox Judy TT Fork w/ preload adjustment
Shimano 24 spd Drivetrain w alivio rear derailleur EF 29 shifters
Shimano M-475 Mechanical Disc Brakes
Alloy ATB rims Formula disc hubs
Tioga factory extreme XC tires
$320

Trek 4500
Alpha SL Aluminum frame
Rock Shox Judy TT Fork
Alloy front hub, Shimano rear hub Matrix 750 rims
Shimano MC08 Crankset
Shimano Deore rear Derailleur
$420

Of course there are 1000 other choices. I also have a local dealer with both haro and jamis bikes. I will look at those as well, but I am strongly leaning toward the F300. This is the top of my price range right now, so I can't go any further up the ladder. I am hoping to get a good solid bike to start with that I can either replace or upgrade as needed.
I will not be doing a crazy stuff on this bike, but I assume I will do my share of trail riding as well as the occassional make your own trail...

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

marxxx

Get the GT. It's cheap.

Cannondale is broken, go for the Trek, it's one of the strongest names in the block.

Did you notice that now you have an answer for each one of the options? It was not on propuse.

Regards

hummm, id say Trek. from what you said, Trek 4500 should have a bit better components equipped on it than the GT. but both are a close first in my opinion.

Thanks for all the help guys. It has been a tough decision. I ended up getting a Cannondale Terra (2002 model). It is very similar to the F300.

Same frame
Deore rear derailleur
LX front derailleur (yes this seems backwards, at least I won't have to upgrade the front real soon).
Rapid fire shifter
Weinmann Rims
Mosquito tires
Tektro Brake levers with shimano brakeset. (The F300 has alivio levers with c-dale brakeset that I have been told are weak...)
Cannondale Headshock (adjustable)

I won't have all the specifics for a week or so when I pick it up.

Thanks again, I can't wait to hit the trails!

MarXXX

Check out my sale!
I'm selling my TREK 4500 if you are interested! It's a great machine!

!Trek 4500 FOR SALE by female owner

You can find more information @ http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/mountain/4500.html which is Trek's Official Website for the 2002 Trek Alpha 4500

Click here are some more photos of the Trek 4500 I am selling

First off this is a unisex (no worries to the interested men) bike $450 CAN.

Firm on the price, but money talks

For sale is my 2002 Trek 4500 in mint condition. My brother is the head bike mechanic @ Neworld Cycle in Burlington (a high end bike shop) and replaced some of the OEM componants off it with higher quality componants.

The new componants include:
- Upgraded Shock Absobers from Rock Shox Judy TT's to Manitou SX's
- Upgraded brakes from no name brand crappy brakes to Avid 20 V brakes (much better stopping power)
- Specialized Riser Bar and Grips
- Specialized Light Weight Racing seat
- Upgraded Rims (dual walled rims)

The frame is 17.5" , I am 5'6 so the bike is not meant for an overly super tall person. It is ideal for most heights I did not ride it very much as I have no real use for it being away in University.

This bike has a few minor scratches here and there but otherwise in absolutly mint condition. The only wear are on the brake levers, but nothing bad whatsoever (I just want to make sure i lay out all the cards now so no confusion arises)

If you are interested, email me @ [email protected]. I believe this is a great deal for a mint condition bike of this nature. I am @ school until may 1st, so the 519-883-0157 is the # to call. Following May 1st, You can reach me at 905-522-7050