Please Help Carbon Chipping?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ZippyTom, Jun 17, 2011.

1. ZippyTom

ZippyTom New Member

On My 2010 Fuji Roubaix ACR 3.0 I noticed that, after my last ride, there was a little a piece of carbon that had chipped off the inside of the carbon seat stay's screw hole. (The location you attach the rear V-brakes to the frame). I was wondering if this is merely cosmetic. Also I've noticed a similar slight chipping when I take my wheel off. The area on the fork where the skewer clamps to is flaking off a clear material. (Carbon?) Is this an issue as well?

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

The material you are seeing chipping or scratching away from your chain certainly contains carbon, but it is not carbon fibre and is not integral to the structure of the frame. It is just lacquer.

You aren't the first (or last) person to complain about it, and everyone understands that it is not ideal. However, in the pusuit of building light frames (as is the fashion these days) it is common for frames to be made with thin paint and lacquer which is prone to flake off.

It's a particular problem around droputs, derailleur and brake mountings, seat collars, bidon bosses etc, but there is nothing wich can (or needs to) be done about it.

ZippyTom likes this.
  3. ZippyTom

ZippyTom New Member

Thanks, I appreciate your help.