PLEASE HELP! GiantTCR1: ringing sound at speed

su22

Jul 23, 2003
Please help! I ride a Giant TCR Composite 1 2004 (black frame, blue detailing).
Mavic kysrium wheels, FSA carbon cranks 39/52 with recently added 12-27 ultegra casette, longer chain shimano 9sp chain and long-cage rear derailleur.

When my bike freewheels at speeds over 50kmh (not that fast at all) either my cranks/BB or wheel axle/chain makes this loud high-pitched whirring sound. It's really worrying me because I am training for a 200km mountain ride and i need to be able to descend on this thing.

The sound goes away when i start pedalling again. When the sound comes on, i can feel some vibration through my saddle, and it is definitely coming from the back end of my bike. I'm stumped and have no idea how to fix it.

The following are the only causes i can think of:
1) I have got water into some moving parts (I spray my bike with water to clean it. It's probably bad)
2) The new 12-27 casette/chain/rear derailleur setup is making this sound (took the 12-23 casette/short-cage rear D/short chain off).
3) Bike shop who put new components on did a shonky dangerous job. (and ripped me off selling me the extra long-cage RD and new chain. GRRRR)
4) Defective frame?

If anyone has had this problem before I would LOVE to hear your thoughts.

Thanks and happy riding
Su

Sounds like the freehub is coming apart. That's the part on the rear hub that the cassette is attached to. Definitely want to get that looked at, having a freehub self destruct on a fast downhill would Not Be Good.

Could be the mechanic messed it up while changing cassettes, could be it just went bad.