Please Help: How to clean my sweaty stinky Poggios

radial

Mar 16, 2004
Because I cycle in the tropics, I tend to sweat a lot and my new white poggios are lookng yellowish because of all the sweat Ive laid down in them.

I dry them out with a towel every time I finish riding in them and then Air Dry them when I get home, but the stitching is starting to yellow with dried sweat and they are REALLLY starting to stink.

On top of that, it cannot be hygenic in any way for them to be drenched in sweat and not washed.

Can someone help me with some care information. for AUD$350 shoes, I dun wanna mistreat them and they stink up the room when theyre off.

Its not so much the stink, its more whats causing the stink, dried sweat.

Im a bit reluctant to put them in the washing machine. Perhaps a hand wash? What do you guys do with your shoes?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Rad

Rad,

I have a pair of these things called "Stuffitts" that I've had for _years_. They work phenomenally well. I don't know whether anybody still sells them. The only thing I found on the Internet about them is somebody selling a pair on eBay for US$0.99! (http://tinyurl.com/2scg7).

Take a look at the picture. If you don't want to buy that pair, you may be able to get the idea from the pictures. I've got to think that somebody who's a bit handy with sewing could whip you up a pair for cheap!

They're cotton-covered, shaped like feet (even include slightly articulated toes!), fastened together with nylon webbing (allowing you to carry your shoes by hanging the strap over your neck), and stuffed with something that must be like finely ground cedar chips (mine are still vaguely aromatic.

You just slip the Stuffitts into your shoes. Period. They absorb moisture and odors almost magically. I've never had to 'renew' or 'treat' the Stuffitts. They seem to have an enormous appetite for foot odor (yuck!).

Cheers!

Neil

Originally posted by radial
Because I cycle in the tropics, I tend to sweat a lot and my new white poggios are lookng yellowish because of all the sweat Ive laid down in them.

I dry them out with a towel every time I finish riding in them and then Air Dry them when I get home, but the stitching is starting to yellow with dried sweat and they are REALLLY starting to stink.

On top of that, it cannot be hygenic in any way for them to be drenched in sweat and not washed.

Can someone help me with some care information. for AUD$350 shoes, I dun wanna mistreat them and they stink up the room when theyre off.

Its not so much the stink, its more whats causing the stink, dried sweat.

Im a bit reluctant to put them in the washing machine. Perhaps a hand wash? What do you guys do with your shoes?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Rad

Yuck.

Well, yellowing might be the kind of thing you can't prevent -- I'm not sure.

As far as stink-age is concerned, there are lots of insoles and post-use things like the Stuffits described above. Personally, when I sense that my Pearl Izumis are getting a little ripe, I blast the inside with a good shot of a spray disinfectant like Lysol; not sure if Lysol is available in Austrailia, but you've got to have something similar. Seems to halt whatever's growing in there and cuts the smell down pretty well.

Good luck with that...

Thanks Guys....

Has anyone "washed" thier shoes?

I dont really want to wash my Poggios in the washing machine for fear of them de-laminating from the carbon fiber sole.

But if you guys do it and you can recommend doing it by hand, I will give it a go!

Oh yeah... YUCK is very appropriate.

Thanks for the hint on the Cedar Shoe Tree's and Stuffits, I will go today and have a look.

FYI Im actually based in Singapore and yes I do ride in 30 degree+ weather nearly every day, and ITS HUMID HUMID HUMID!

The humidity is actually why I sweat so much.