Please help me choose a bike (I know nothing)

Shawnee

Mar 22, 2007
I am looking for a bike- better then Xmart, but under $400 (I want to later get a triathlon/road bike for training and that is where I will spend more). I haven't ridden a bike in years. This will be my everyday bike- used mostly on the road, grass, gravel, dirt, wood-chips. I was looking for a mountain bike, but a bike shop told me a comfort bike would better suit my needs. I don't know what is a good brand or parts. When I was looking at mountain bikes I looked at a Specialized Hardrock Women's Sport ($330) and a Trek 3900 ($339). I wanted to see the Giant Rincon but couldn't find one. In the comfort I have looked at a Giant Sedona w (~$340) and a Jamis Explorer 2.0 (~$375). What do you think? It is frustrating because all the shops carry one brand but not another, and I cannot ride each one after another. I thought I felt too smooshed on the Giant Sedona. I am 5'4". Thanks!!!:)

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the bikes you are looking at. All I can offer is some general advice ..... given that you can't ride each one straight after the other and compare directly, make notes after you ride each bike and then go with the bike that fits you best. Looks like the Sedona is out, if you felt all smooshed on it.

Happy hunting.

Shawnee said:
I am looking for a bike- better then Xmart, but under $400 (I want to later get a triathlon/road bike for training and that is where I will spend more). I haven't ridden a bike in years. This will be my everyday bike- used mostly on the road, grass, gravel, dirt, wood-chips. I was looking for a mountain bike, but a bike shop told me a comfort bike would better suit my needs. I don't know what is a good brand or parts. When I was looking at mountain bikes I looked at a Specialized Hardrock Women's Sport ($330) and a Trek 3900 ($339). I wanted to see the Giant Rincon but couldn't find one. In the comfort I have looked at a Giant Sedona w (~$340) and a Jamis Explorer 2.0 (~$375). What do you think? It is frustrating because all the shops carry one brand but not another, and I cannot ride each one after another. I thought I felt too smooshed on the Giant Sedona. I am 5'4". Thanks!!!:)
At above 5'2", you should look for a ROAD or HYBRID bike which has 700c wheels ... most so-called comfort-bikes have 26" wheels.

A 2006 (or, older) old-inventory Hybrid bike should fall into your price range.