PLEASE help me choose a bike (I know nothing)

Shawnee

Mar 22, 2007
I am looking for a bike- better then Xmart, but under $400 (I want to later get a triathlon/road bike for training and that is where I will spend more). I haven't ridden a bike in years. This will be my everyday bike- used mostly on the road, grass, gravel, dirt, wood-chips. I was looking for a mountain bike, but a bike shop told me a comfort bike would better suit my needs. I don't know what is a good brand or parts. When I was looking at mountain bikes I looked at a Specialized Hardrock Women's Sport ($330) and a Trek 3900 ($339). I wanted to see the Giant Rincon but couldn't find one. In the comfort I have looked at a Giant Sedona w (~$340) and a Jamis Explorer 2.0 (~$375). What do you think? It is frustrating because all the shops carry one brand but not another, and I cannot ride each one after another. I thought I felt too smooshed on the Giant Sedona. I am 5'4". Thanks!!!:)

i wish i could help, i'm in the same boat too, a bike newb well, at least to road bikes - i need something for distance :| i guess no one wants to help us lol

I'd like to help but, i'm from Australia and prices are different here. And I havn't even seen any of those brands. All I can suggest is ride as many of them as you can and decide from there. Also try posting your questions in the cycling equipment area as more people tend to look there

Shawnee said:
People are viewing but not replying. Can't anybody help?
I think some more folks will chime in if you give the post a little time.

I'm not super-familiar with hybrid/comfort bikes (vs. touring and road bikes), but based on your post, unless you're spending a lot of time on dirt and gravel, a hybrid bike should suit you better than a mountain bike.

In general, Jamis bikes are a great value, but I'm not sure you really need the suspension on the Explorer. Consider the Jamis Coda, whose base model is just around the top of your price range. The stock tires might be a little squirrely off-road, but you could easily put fatter tires on it, if you find you're leaving the asphalt a lot. It'll also probably feel less cramped, since your riding position will be more like on a road bike (but not nearly that extreme), compared with the very upright position on the Explorer.

Trek's hybrid bikes (e.g., FX line) seem popular, too. Again, the base model FX is about $400.

Unless you're really into a cushy, smooth ride or like flying up and down curbs, my guess is that suspension is just extra weight and expense. Fatter tires do a lot to smooth out the ride.

rampratfl said:
i wish i could help, i'm in the same boat too, a bike newb well, at least to road bikes - i need something for distance :| i guess no one wants to help us lol
I'll try to help, but I need more info. What kind of distance are we talking? Maybe more importantly, how much time on the bike at a time...up to an hour, 3-4 hours, all day? Do you want to carry stuff on the bike? Have you ridden a road bike before? Do drop bars freak you out? What's your budget?